Apple's next iPhone rumored to feature quad-core processor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's next-generation iPhone will be powered by a quad-core ARM processor based on Samsung's Exynos 4 architecture, according to a new report.

The claim comes from the sometimes-reliable DigiTimes, which cited its usual industry sources from the Far East in a report issued on Thursday. Other details on the rumored processor, including clock speed or graphics processing capabilities, were not presented.

Last year's iPhone 4S features a custom dual-core processor clocked at 800 megahertz, dubbed by Apple the "A5." That chip was first introduced months earlier in the iPad 2, where it ran slightly faster at 1 gigahertz thanks to a larger form factor with a bigger battery.

With the third-generation iPad launched this year, Apple didn't unveil a true next-generation chip, choosing instead to name the processor the "A5X," suggesting an evolutionary upgrade over its predecessor. That CPU is based around Samsung's 45-nanometer low-power architecture, also found in the A5 CPU in the iPhone 4S and iPad 2.

The main change with the A5X was an updated integrated graphics processor. While the CPU remained dual core, the GPU was upgraded to quad core in order to push the 3.1 million pixels found on the tablet's high-resolution Retina display.

A5 1

If Apple does build a quad-core ARM CPU for its next iPhone, the upgrade could presumably be significant enough to earn the chip the "A6" distinction. DigiTimes said Apple's expected introduction of a quad-core iPhone will help "heat up" competition with other quad-core smartphones.

Samsung, HTC, LG and Meizu all launched quad-core smartphones in the second quarter of 2012, most notably Samsung's Galaxy S III, the latest flagship handset for Google's Android mobile operating system. However, the quad-core Galaxy S III has thus far only been available in international markets, while the 4G LTE-capable model released in the U.S. features a dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor. Next week, Samsung will launch a quad-core LTE Galaxy S III, but only in Korea.

More quad-core smartphones are expected to be introduced in the second half of 2012, thanks to volume production of chips from Qualcomm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [SIZE=7]????[/SIZE]
  • Reply 2 of 69
    logandiggeslogandigges Posts: 399member

WTF "sometimes-reliable"? More like "never-reliable".

• Reply 3 of 69
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member

Wow... this is just... bad. 100% fake. Honestly, someone else will explain why, but it's just 100% fake.

• Reply 4 of 69
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    WTF "sometimes-reliable"? More like "never-reliable".

That's not entirely true. They're ALMOST as reliable as throwing a dart at a dart board.

In any event, this rumor is one of those "anyone can guess something if it's obvious enough" situations. It's quite likely that Apple will introduce a quad core iPhone at some point in the not too distant future. I think it's reasonable to believe that it will be this fall's version or the 2013 model.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

We all laugh at Digitimes, but their name makes its way into damn near every Apple blog almost every day.  No such thing as bad publicity, right?

• Reply 6 of 69
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    First off, Digitimes immediately disqualifies this article.

Second, while Samsung could conceivably provide the fab services to make the chip, I doubt Apple would even let Samsung in the door unless absolutely necessary considering the hostility towards each other right now.

Lastly, Apple's philosophy is great hardware/software integration. Unlike the crap design that android is and the overpowered hardware needed just to make simple scrolling less jittery, why would any iPhone user even care whether the chip is dual or quad core anymore? If everything is smooth and has great battery life, does anyone except those that just care about specs and nothing else even care?
  • Reply 7 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Chances of Apple being able to get enough manufacturing for 32nm chips? This is key to quad-corein the next iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

Buying this will surely burn a hole in your pocket. Does angry birds actually need this power?

• Reply 9 of 69
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

As long as the battery life is the same or better life is good.

Better performance at the cost of battery life is a bad deal.  They gotta strike that perfect balance.

Time will tell.

• Reply 10 of 69
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member

I'm very curious to see what chip Apple ends up using. I'm sure it will be 32 nm (they are already using some 32nm A5s now). 

The big question for me is whether it will just be a die-shrunk, and higher clocked A5 or if it will be an A6. And if A6, does that necessarily mean quad cores? Or could it mean two beefier cores? Or could it be something radically new? 

My guess is that it will be a 32nm quad core chip that they call the A6, and that the next iPad will be a 32 nm quad core chip that they call the A6X (beefier graphics to support the larger number of pixels in an iPad). If not that, then I'd guess the die shrunk A5. 

I'm also guessing that the iPad Mini will get a 32 nm A5. 

• Reply 11 of 69
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Chances of Apple being able to get enough manufacturing for 32nm chips? This is key to quad-corein the next iPhone.

It shouldn't be especially difficult.  Foundries have been buying heavily from the equipment vendors over the past 12 months to make capacity at the smaller geometries.

Indeed there is probably over capacity now.  A downturn for the equipment vendors is looming.......

• Reply 12 of 69
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    <vc><strong>
    The claim comes from the sometimes-reliable <em>DigiTimes</em>

• Reply 13 of 69
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Maybe they'll contract Intel's foundries and churn out 22nm silicon FTW!  ;)

• Reply 14 of 69
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Setting the veracity aside, I'd not be troubled to see quad core in iPhone 5. A certain app I have to use for work *cough* Good *cough* uses up all the resources in my current iPhone. Bad developers but I can't make them fix their code so I need a faster phone.

• Reply 15 of 69

Digitimes is a joke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is a big part of it. I don't see it happening until 2013.

The bigger obstacle is quad core ARM and integrated LTE is in its infancy for one. If all other rumors are to be combined, the new iPhone is darn near final and hitting production very soon. If Apple was going to rigorously test this new platform, they'd use more time. I'd fathom quad core would hit the iPad first anyway. You also have the A9 vs A15 power to performance arguments. 

• Reply 16 of 69
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member

Apple is joking all of us !

take a example... A5X

they make it 45 nm we think they can`t make 32 nm or 28 nm...

they not even make "rouge" GPU architecture intro A5X...

they rather introduce hyper battery technology in iPad that can squeeze 2400 mAh into same space that curet iPhone batteries and that can power that A5X

they make most inefficient apple chip ever !

Only because they are hiding A6 behind...

I think this is another statement that is made by apple so we now all expect not as big upgrade from new A6

• Reply 17 of 69
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

A trained marmoset pulling random scraps of paper out of a top hat is, like DigiTimes, occasionally accurate; which is the same as “sometimes reliable” depending on your definition of “reliable."

DigiTimes is USUALLY, by far, wrong. It’s not credible to mention their name without noting that.

In other words, if you take anything from the fact that DigitTimes said this, you should consider it a small strike against the likelihood of quad cores. (But better just to ignore DigitTimes. Stop feeding them! They’ll say anything.)

• Reply 18 of 69
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

????

LOL, when an AI forum moderator posts the very first comment which bashes the rumor source, you know you have a credibility problem.

Ahahahahahaha!!!!

Really, AI, it's Digitimes, throw this one in the circular file.

• Reply 19 of 69
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

People were hopping for the Cortex-A15 on the iPad 3, but we had to settle for the A5x. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see it in the new iPhone, but if someone knows more about this, please share.

• Reply 20 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sflocal wrote: »
    First off, Digitimes immediately disqualifies this article.
    Second, while Samsung could conceivably provide the fab services to make the chip, I doubt Apple would even let Samsung in the door unless absolutely necessary considering the hostility towards each other right now.
    Lastly, Apple's philosophy is great hardware/software integration. Unlike the crap design that android is and the overpowered hardware needed just to make simple scrolling less jittery, why would any iPhone user even care whether the chip is dual or quad core anymore? If everything is smooth and has great battery life, does anyone except those that just care about specs and nothing else even care?

Samsung makes ALL of Apple's iOS SoC's. They are made in Samsung's sprawling plant in Texas. Apple helped pay for that plant and the equipment. In return, they get additional discounts. What is happening in there now, we can only guess. But the new 28nm chip used in the iPad 2 today, and the new aTv are made there as well.

There is no reliable reason to believe Apple is planning a move soon.

As for Digitimes... they used to have a 50% average, but the past year that's moved down to under 40%.

Still, that's about as good as anyone else. I would be surprised if Apple didn't have a 4 core chip running. Why would they wait until next year, and a new iPad to use it? That would just put them behind a large number of competitors, and when it comes to chips, they don't like that happening.

Also, Apple is proud of their SoC's. They always mention the number of cores in the CPU, the number of cores, and the version of the gpu, and the speed. They don't tell what the RAM is, or discuss details about the chip. Though last year they did mention that the have their own processing module for the camera built into the chip.