Amazon reportedly planning smartphone to take on Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    I get the Kindle Fire, but what's the value of an Amazon-branded phone sold at cost? Isn't this just the race to the bottom?
    Ours is not to wonder why, ours is just to buy, buy, buy. (think apps)
  • Reply 22 of 83
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

A few years ago I purchased a book on Amazon and was so disappointed with it that I placed a negative review on their website.

Not long after that, I noticed that the review that I had submitted kept bringing up my name in Google search and, being ex-military, where the ability for people to find any information about you can be extremely dangerous, I contacted Amazon and asked if the review could be removed. They declined.

Now they want to sell me a device that would contain all of my personal information, after displaying such a lack of customer consideration?

Blow me, Amazon.

Blow me very hard.

• Reply 23 of 83
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

???being ex-military, where the ability for people to find any information about you can be extremely dangerous, I contacted Amazon and asked if the review could be removed. ???

Blow me, Amazon.

Blow me very hard.

So you posted a public review on the world's most famous online store even though you knew it could be "extremely dangerous"?. 

I guess too many vegemite sandwiches will do that to you. 

• Reply 24 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by success View Post

So you posted a public review on the world's most famous online store even though you knew it could be "extremely dangerous"?. 

I guess too many vegemite sandwiches will do that to you. 

At the time the comment was posted there was no issue regarding danger.

Amazon wasn't even very big back then, and none of their Terms and Conditions explained that the email address supplied to create an account would become a publicly viewable username. There was no option to create your own username.

At a later point, when the potential for danger was there, the request and consideration of the customer suddenly became a non-issue for Amazon over their desire for a single review, despite the fact that it could quite easily be removed from a technical point of view.

Do you think this falls within the category of good customer service?

Do you also think they'll be selling me, my family, and friends, many 'Amazon Phones' now?

By the way, if the definition of 'Racism' is 'behavior or beliefs motivated by racial stereotypes', would you consider your comment regarding 'vegemite sandwiches' to fall within this category?

• Reply 25 of 83
    I cannot wait to get hold of my Dwidle or is that their shares
  • Reply 26 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Firefox is also claiming to have a mobile OS appearing on smartphones beginning this next year, with backing from Sprint in the US, ZTE, Deutsche Telecom, Telefonica and others. They're targeting FirefoxOS for entry-level phones initially, with Chinese manufacturers showing the most interest.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228770/Mozilla_promises_Firefox_OS_phones_in_early_2013?taxonomyId=77

• Reply 27 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Firefox is also claiming to have a mobile OS appearing on smartphones beginning this next year, with backing from Sprint in the US, ZTE, Deutsche Telecom, Telefonica and others. They're targeting FirefoxOS for entry-level phones initially, with Chinese manufacturers showing the most interest.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228770/Mozilla_promises_Firefox_OS_phones_in_early_2013?taxonomyId=77

Good Lord.

Next thing you know KFC and McDonalds will be in the OS business...

• Reply 28 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Forcibly tied to your Amazon account, monthly bills are paid through the credit card you have on file with them.

Yes, likely US only, operating as an MVNO.

I think that Apple should consider doing this -- and offer tethering, a reasonable shared data plan, etc.

the trick is for Apple to become the customers cell services provider without  it becoming an adversarial relationship.

• Reply 29 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They need to partner with Facebook on their phone project.

Or Twitter. Something about all phones calls being les than 140 seconds seems liberating.

Ha!

"Hello, I must be going..."

• Reply 30 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not gonna happen.

Price of iPad 1: $499 Price of iPad 2: $499 Price of iPad 3: $499 (I should add that those prices were when the respective devices were first released of course, in case any potential smartass tries to make some useless point.)

Almost immediately, all over the world, after the iPad was released, rivals were having complete meltdowns, and they quickly flooded the market with the cheapest and shittiest tablets that you could possibly imagine. The average consumer now had plenty of choices, more than anyone could ever wish for, and all of those other tablets did nothing at all, it was one miserable failure after another. 

Amazon released their Fire tablet, running a skinned version of the poor people's operating system known as Android, and that hasn't done jack shit.

Apple doesn't give a shit about what these other companies do. They're like little ants to Apple, and Apple can step on them and crush them whenever they please.

Amazon releasing some cheap skinned Android phone will just be yet another phone amongst the hundreds and hundreds of shitty Android phones that already exist out there. 

Didn't Amazon rename their tablet as "under-Fire", "Fire in the hole" or somesuch?

Maybe they should call their phone "whelmed".

• Reply 31 of 83
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Let me guess?...  

Apple iPad lead to Amazon Kindle's "Fire"

Apple iPhone will lead to Amazon's me too version called "Ember" or maybe just 'ashes'???

/

/

/

• Reply 32 of 83
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Forcibly tied to your Amazon account, monthly bills are paid through the credit card you have on file with them.

As opposed to forcibly tied to an iTunes account, monthly bills paid through a credit card you have on file with Apple? ????
  • Reply 33 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

As opposed to forcibly tied to an iTunes account, monthly bills paid through a credit card you have on file with Apple? ????

Yes, but the difference is that we can trust Apple.

• Reply 34 of 83
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewiz77 View Post

Amazon will only aim at the cheap phone segment

But you just said it would "force" Apple to lower prices. So which is it?

• Reply 35 of 83

Quote:

By the way, if the definition of 'Racism' is 'behavior or beliefs motivated by racial stereotypes', would you consider your comment regarding 'vegemite sandwiches' to fall within this category?

Well, none, since being Australian isn't a race.

• Reply 36 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes, but the difference is that we can trust Apple.

That's cute.

• Reply 37 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Let me guess?...  

Apple iPad lead to Amazon Kindle's "Fire"

Apple iPhone will lead to Amazon's me too version called "Ember" or maybe just 'ashes'???

/

/

/

One day you'll post something that's half as clever as you think it is.

• Reply 38 of 83
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This is interesting. What's their angle? Are they aiming for the cheapest smartphone on the market?

Amazon's business model is almost the diametric opposite of Apple's. Apple provides content to sell hardware, Amazon provides hardware to sell content.

Amazon don't care about the phone business, but people consume media on phones and Amazon want people to buy those media from Amazon, not Apple or Google.

They'll most likely subsidise the Kindle phone heavily, just like they do with the Fire. If they could give it away, they would.

• Reply 39 of 83
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewiz77 View Post

Thats good for us consumers.

I dont like and wont buy Amazon tablet/phone. But they will force Apple to reduce iPhone prices, which I think is good.

amazon own't force apple to do anything, just don't hold your breath for a cheaper iPhone.

• Reply 40 of 83
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

Quote:

A few years ago I purchased a book on Amazon and was so disappointed with it that I placed a negative review on their website.

Not long after that, I noticed that the review that I had submitted kept bringing up my name in Google search and, being ex-military, where the ability for people to find any information about you can be extremely dangerous, I contacted Amazon and asked if the review could be removed. They declined.

Now they want to sell me a device that would contain all of my personal information, after displaying such a lack of customer consideration?

Blow me, Amazon.

Blow me very hard.

yeah, i dropped amazon 15 years ago when they came out with a public statement that said they 'COULD NOT' guarantee that information such as a ssn or driver's license number, would be protected—something like that. it's been a very long time. haven't used them since.