Apple rumored to revise backlight for iPad update

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
On the heels of a rumor that Apple is readying a minor update of the iPad ahead of the holiday season, an unverified report from the same publication claims that Apple is interested in returning to a one-LED backlight module solution instead of the two-LED design used in the current iPad.

DigiTimes claimed on Friday that Apple was making the revisions to reduce the heat output of the iPad.

"The extra LED is reportedly adding to overheating and that using one LED will help solve overheating issues since more backlights along with more power to heat those backlights is causing overheating," the report read.

The publication's sources said that switching back to the one LED module would not affect "luminosity and clarity" of the iPad display.

Separate reports also out of the Far East have claimed that Apple will include IGZO technology from Sharp in the next iPad. The iPad maker was rumored to go with an IGZO display for its third-generation tablet, but Sharp was reportedly unable to produce sufficient volumes in time. IGZO displays are expected to allow for a thinner design with better battery life.

DigiTimes claimed on Thursday that Apple would release an iPad with "small revisions" before the end of the year. The earlier report suggested that Apple would change the battery to avoid overheating problems and also enlarge the lens hole on the device.

Shortly after Apple's latest iPad was released, some reviews claimed the device ran noticeably hotter than its predecessor. Apple, however, insisted that the tablet was operating "well within" its thermal specifications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

So when will we be able to download this?

• Reply 2 of 28
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    DigiTimes. Boom. Good as science fiction.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Yeah but didn't they say the same thing last year and it never happened? That apple was going to release a revise new iPad for the up coming holidays.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    I still call BS on this. Meaning the heat issue. I couldn't notice it during the winter (march), and I can't notice it now in July sitting on the deck.

It still hasn't even shut down on me in the sun like my original iPad used to do.

As my friends would say "I'll flag that!" ...meaning prove it.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member

And the winner for most retarded statement of the day is:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

DigiTimes claimed on Friday that Apple was making the revisions to reduce the heat output of the iPad.

"The extra LED is reportedly adding to overheating and that using one LED will help solve overheating issues since more backlights along with more power to heat those backlights is causing overheating," the report read.

• Reply 6 of 28
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Amazing how my iPad that I've owned since launch day has never 'overheated', nor that of anyone I know, contrary to sensationalist internet reports that this is a normal occurrence and a glaring hardware issue. Also incredible how spoiled we are, that when a device a few mm thin with a 10" screen pushing massively more pixels than a 1080P TV with buttery smoothness and capable of complex 3D graphics  gets warm, we start shrieking. 

• Reply 7 of 28
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

That's why this claim is BS. I play games and watch videos for hours on mine and the aluminum never gets warm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Amazing how my iPad that I've owned since launch day has never 'overheated', nor that of anyone I know, contrary to sensationalist internet reports that this is a normal occurrence and a glaring hardware issue. Also incredible how spoiled we are, that when a device a few mm thin with a 10" screen pushing massively more pixels than a 1080P TV with buttery smoothness and capable of complex 3D graphics  gets warm, we start shrieking. 

• Reply 8 of 28
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Will this change increase Apple's gross profit?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Of course it will.  Apple is constantly improving it's designs.  The first HiDPI iPad screen requires two backlights.  Two back lights generate more heat than one.  Two backlights require more energy than one.  Apple will work to get back down to one to make the iPad battery life longer or make it thinner.  This is called design optimization.  It occurs for every product Apple makes. 

It's perfectly logical.

• Reply 10 of 28
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    No, Apple is going to bring out a revised click wheel iPod.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member

LEDs get hot?

• Reply 12 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

That would have been my first response too a couple months ago. I've replaced a half dozen standard bulbs in our home lighting with LED's since then. While the "bulb" portion itself feels barely warm in use, the base does get somewhat hot on at least the table lamps.

• Reply 13 of 28
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member

Apple needs to look to technology that will reduce weight and of course heat. Battery life is a factor as well. 

Yet, it's not likely that Apple would take a product that is selling fabulously well, as is, and make changes partway through the model run. Changes will probably happen early next year when the company unveils the next iPad (aka the iPad 4). 

Lighter, cooler (in more ways than one), with either better battery life or a lighter battery that contributes even more to Item A. 

• Reply 14 of 28
    dam, how do you delete a post?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    DigiTimes. Boom. Good as science fiction.

Not even close to as good as science fiction. Science fiction is entertaining.
  • Reply 16 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

No, Apple is going to bring out a revised click wheel iPod.

LMAO!

• Reply 17 of 28
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I still call BS on this. Meaning the heat issue. I couldn't notice it during the winter (march), and I can't notice it now in July sitting on the deck.

It still hasn't even shut down on me in the sun like my original iPad used to do.

As my friends would say "I'll flag that!" ...meaning prove it.

Well, if you own the world supply of iPads, release it. If you're not, how does it prove that others don't have the problem?

Note that mine works just fine. It was really hot yesterday after several hours of reading PDFs in iBooks, but the weather was quite hot so I imagine it's quite normal.

• Reply 18 of 28
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

LEDs get hot?

Unless they're 100% efficient, yes.

• Reply 19 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I just wish there was a way to add a source of a Rumor to the ignore list! I'd add 'DigiTimes' in a heart beat.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    neilm wrote: »
    Unless they're 100% efficient, yes.

Exactly ... and let's list the things that are 100% efficient in the universe .... Oh I know maybe the Higgs bosons ... /smile

If there is any slight truth to this rumor it's maybe data concerning supplies for a less expensive iPad that isn't Retina for education discounts as an example market.