Amazon reportedly planning smartphone to take on Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    gtr wrote: »
    Good Lord.

Next thing you know KFC and McDonalds will be in the OS business...

Or Justin Bieber, lol....
  • Reply 42 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think they just need to add phone circuitry to the Fire. By the time they do that, Android phones will be near the 7" range.

smellybrit wrote: »
    Well, none, since being Australian isn't a race.

The definition for race also includes nationality and ethnic groups.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    mac_dog wrote: »
    yeah, i dropped amazon 15 years ago when they came out with a public statement that said they 'COULD NOT' guarantee that information such as a ssn or driver's license number, would be protected—something like that. it's been a very long time. haven't used them since.

I still don't have an account with them. I get a headache every time I try to purchase something on the site. A cluttered, mish-mash mess, just like the company itself.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member

LMAO  

Amazon essentially has no capital left.  The cash balance is actually the day delta between cash for purchases and time they pay vendors.  It accounts for vast majority of the cash on books.  And, they earn 1.5% net profit margin.  Putting in air conditioning in their warehouses is deemed a "material expense"  

Something big is going to happen @ Amazon.  And if I were a betting man, I would bet its to the downside in a substantial way  

• Reply 45 of 83
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smellybrit View Post

Well, none, since being Australian isn't a race.

You've obviously never been in Australia on a Friday afternoon on your way to the pub.

That's one hell of a race.

• Reply 46 of 83
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not gonna happen.

Price of iPad 1: $499 Price of iPad 2: $499 Price of iPad 3: $499 (I should add that those prices were when the respective devices were first released of course, in case any potential smartass tries to make some useless point.)

Almost immediately, all over the world, after the iPad was released, rivals were having complete meltdowns, and they quickly flooded the market with the cheapest and shittiest tablets that you could possibly imagine. The average consumer now had plenty of choices, more than anyone could ever wish for, and all of those other tablets did nothing at all, it was one miserable failure after another. 

Amazon released their Fire tablet, running a skinned version of the poor people's operating system known as Android, and that hasn't done jack shit.

Apple doesn't give a shit about what these other companies do. They're like little ants to Apple, and Apple can step on them and crush them whenever they please.

Amazon releasing some cheap skinned Android phone will just be yet another phone amongst the hundreds and hundreds of shitty Android phones that already exist out there. 

You better go check Apple's website again, because they have a $399 iPad that will pretty much do everything a $499 one will.  Just as with iPhones over the last few years, more competition leads to lower pricing sooner or later...

• Reply 47 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

You better go check Apple's website again, because they have a $399 iPad that will pretty much do everything a $499 one will.  Just as with iPhones over the last few years, more competition leads to lower pricing sooner or later...

He anticipated your flack. Carefully re-read the first paragraph of his post.

• Reply 48 of 83
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member

RIM and Nokia are just waiting for Amazon to come and grab them....boy would that juice Microsoft if Amazon grabbed Nokia...

• Reply 49 of 83
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    The definition for race also includes nationality and ethnic groups.

Depends on what your purpose is and what definition you are using.

In the U.S., the most important definition of 'race' would come from the EEOC. Unfortunately, the EEOC does not define the term (seems odd to have an entire division suing people for race discrimination, but never defining the term).

They say:
    http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/qanda_race_color.html
    "What is "Race"?

Title VII does not contain a definition of "race." Race discrimination includes discrimination on the basis of ancestry or physical or cultural characteristics associated with a certain race, such as skin color, hair texture or styles, or certain facial features.

Note that forms used for collecting federal data on race and ethnicity in the workforce use five racial categories: American Indian or Alaska Native; Asian; Black or African American; Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander; and White; and one ethnicity category, Hispanic or Latino."

In addition to the Federal workforce categories, in other locations, EEOC uses the following statement to describe different races:
    "Everyone is protected from race and color discrimination Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Arabs, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, persons of more than one race, and all other persons, whatever their race, color, or ethnicity."

I don't see the EEOC defining 'Australian' as a race anywhere. Of course, for different purposes, you may use a different definition. There is, for example, a Wikipedia article on the subject (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Australian_Race), but it doesn't meet Wiki's guidelines.

There is a book called "the Australian Race", but it was written in the 19th century and probably isn't a very useful guide. The rest of the front page links on a search for "australian race" lead to horse racing and other racing events.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

RIM and Nokia are just waiting for Amazon to come and grab them....boy would that juice Microsoft if Amazon grabbed Nokia...

During their earnings call one of the Nokia execs said that they already have backup plans for their mobile market in case their Microsoft partnership doesn't pan out. Some sources believe they're considering Android. That could of course just be a rumor started by Nokia themselves to push their value to Microsoft a little higher just as some guessed Moto did with Google.

• Reply 51 of 83
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

Too true. What really needs to happen is the industry needs another Apple. Not a clone of Apple, but a company that actually "gets it", or willing to go miles and miles to deliver a product that is usable and (gasp) "cool".

The industry is in the mess it is in today because of the persisting "me too" attitude towards producing consumer products.

Until then, the "choice" in hardware and software is only an illusion.

Quote:

Not gonna happen.

Price of iPad 1: $499 Price of iPad 2: $499 Price of iPad 3: $499 (I should add that those prices were when the respective devices were first released of course, in case any potential smartass tries to make some useless point.)

Almost immediately, all over the world, after the iPad was released, rivals were having complete meltdowns, and they quickly flooded the market with the cheapest and shittiest tablets that you could possibly imagine. The average consumer now had plenty of choices, more than anyone could ever wish for, and all of those other tablets did nothing at all, it was one miserable failure after another. 

Amazon released their Fire tablet, running a skinned version of the poor people's operating system known as Android, and that hasn't done jack shit.

Apple doesn't give a shit about what these other companies do. They're like little ants to Apple, and Apple can step on them and crush them whenever they please.

Amazon releasing some cheap skinned Android phone will just be yet another phone amongst the hundreds and hundreds of shitty Android phones that already exist out there. 

• Reply 52 of 83
    hiphillyhiphilly Posts: 12member

That is the reason Amazon's partner- Foxconn's CEO got fired last night.

Why would Apple tolerate such behaviour from Foxconn.

• Reply 53 of 83
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Not gonna happen.

Not gonna happen: agree wth you. It's a ridiculous idea, and even if it happened, it would just fail miserably.

Poor people's operating system: disagree. While I and my family are fully Apple for obvious reasons, most of my collegues (who are not exactly "poor people") carry Android phones. Don't react aggressively to Android, as while iPhone is still better, it could learn a few things from Android (like a notification system -no, that's already photocopied- or the reflowing of webpages/text )

• Reply 54 of 83
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Too true. What really needs to happen is the industry needs another Apple. Not a clone of Apple, but a company that actually "gets it", or willing to go miles and miles to deliver a product that is usable and (gasp) "cool".

The industry is in the mess it is in today because of the persisting "me too" attitude towards producing consumer products.

Until then, the "choice" in hardware and software is only an illusion.

Quote:

There is a company that came and looked at Yahoo Search and Altavista, etc... and said: "we can do better, more usable, more cool". That company's still there and offers most of the free software that people use (on average, as people like apple][ clearly have an allergy to all things G.)

Google "gets it". Google goes miles and miles for usable and cool products. There is a price, though, which is they harvest tremendous amounts of information on you and resell that.

I expect what you mean is, you want a hardware-world PURE PLAYER who gets it with a high quality focus.

• Reply 55 of 83
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

There is a company that came and looked at Yahoo Search and Altavista, etc... and said: "we can do better, more usable, more cool". That company's still there and offers most of the free software that people use (on average, as people like apple][ clearly have an allergy to all things G.)

Google "gets it". Google goes miles and miles for usable and cool products. There is a price, though, which is they harvest tremendous amounts of information on you and resell that.

I expect what you mean is, you want a hardware-world PURE PLAYER who gets it with a high quality focus.

What he means is another company that knows how to do a vertical business model right.

You can't have the kind of quality, cachet and robust ecosystem Apple has when you whore out your OS to everyone and their dog. 

So, yes. This:

a hardware-world PURE PLAYER who gets it with a high quality focus.

• Reply 56 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Is there any company out there in the consumer electronics market that can innovate for themselves? Does every meeting of their R&D departments start with "What does Apple make we can copy?"
  • Reply 57 of 83
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

What really needs to happen is the industry needs another Apple. Not a clone of Apple, but a company that actually "gets it", or willing to go miles and miles to deliver a product that is usable and (gasp) "cool".

You most definitely wouldn't want a clone of Apple.

That would make two of them.

Then that would make a pear.

Sorry, pair.

• Reply 58 of 83
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

It's really great that, years ago, Apple said "how can we make the best possible mobile phone/internet device/media player?" What a great question.

And now, years later, others are asking "how can we compete?" What a lame question by comparison.

While they ask themselves that (again), Apple is likely asking itself "how can we make the best possible..."

• Reply 59 of 83

This makes sense -- as it is the same strategy Microsoft is using with the Surface.

But I think that Google will similarly lose it's Android support as Microsoft will with Windows RT because any third party vendor can notice the "two tiers" of software coming from their major competitor and supplier.

The timing of this is crazy -- as Android WOULD HAVE picked up most of Microsoft's remaining RT customers as they read the tea leaves. Now all the 3rd party phone manufacturers are going to have to look for the "none of the above" option. Could this mean that RIM might be resurrected?

I predict a quiet panic behind the scenes.

• Reply 60 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

LMAO  

Amazon essentially has no capital left.  The cash balance is actually the day delta between cash for purchases and time they pay vendors.  It accounts for vast majority of the cash on books.  And, they earn 1.5% net profit margin.  Putting in air conditioning in their warehouses is deemed a "material expense"  

Something big is going to happen @ Amazon.  And if I were a betting man, I would bet its to the downside in a substantial way  

Then short their stock.