Rifle wielding men rob van carrying Apple gear in France - report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A van carrying Apple products in France was reportedly targeted by three men with assault rifles in a botched robbery attempt on Friday, though no one was hurt.

News of the alleged assault was shared by Nowhereelse.fr on Friday (translation), which said that three men were armed with Kalashnikov or M16 rifles when they robbed the van. The vehicle was reportedly found abandoned several hours later.

Police also found the stolen Apple equipment in a house near where the ditched van was discovered, according to the report, though the robbers were nowhere to be found.

The driver and passenger of the van were said to have been released by the robbers unharmed in the woods of Val d'Oise. The attack took place Friday morning in Aulnay-sous-Bois in Seine-Saint-Denis.

As a seller of valuable electronics, Apple products and the company's retail stores have been the target of a number of high-profile incidents over the years. Last April, a robbery suspect was killed in a shootout with police at a San Diego, Calif., Apple Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    So people steal valuable things. Must be a slow news day.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Unless the van was adorned with "APPLE PRODUCTS INSIDE, GOING TO AN APPLE STORE NEAR YOU.  SHOW APPLE THE LOVE- APPLE, APPLE, APPLE - IMACS, IPADS, IPHONES - GET YOURS TODAY!" makes me think it was an "inside" job with a little knowledge of said shipment...  Or maybe the robbers just got lucky.

/

/

/

• Reply 3 of 43
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Unless the van was adorned with "APPLE PRODUCTS INSIDE, GOING TO AN APPLE STORE NEAR YOU.  SHOW APPLE THE LOVE- APPLE, APPLE, APPLE - IMACS, IPADS, IPHONES - GET YOURS TODAY!" makes me think it was an "inside" job with a little knowledge of said shipment...  Or maybe the robbers just got lucky.

/

/

/

Three guys with M16s do not take down a van by chance - they knew.

This leads me to wonder when manufacturers are going to black list computer serial numbers. Apple dealers could report stolen serial numbers to Apple, and then when the buyer of said device tries to connect to the Internet, boom! - computer disabled and reported to police.

• Reply 4 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gustav wrote: »
    This leads me to wonder when manufacturers are going to black list computer serial numbers. Apple dealers could report stolen serial numbers to Apple, and then when the buyer of said device tries to connect to the Internet, boom! - computer disabled and reported to police.

You mean when the computer is brought in for repairs. No way do I want my computer reporting its serial number to the Internet every time it connects, much less be treated like a criminal in any fashion.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

"HEAT"

• Reply 6 of 43
    tcphototcphoto Posts: 65member
    So, Apple can and will blacklist an item when it's stolen from them but not from one of their customers?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I just imagine the scene after they stole them ... "Hey I read these things all have GPS tracking ..." "WHAT!!!???^&*%$*"
  • Reply 8 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    tcphoto wrote: »
    So, Apple can and will blacklist an item when it's stolen from them but not from one of their customers?

No, they'll do that, too.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

"HEAT"

Sweet movie.

heat0018.jpg

• Reply 10 of 43
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    gustav wrote: »
    Three guys with M16s do not take down a van by chance -

Sure they do. Despite the article implying it was an inside thing, perhaps these guys were hanging on roads they knew to often get delivery trucks and hitting anything that came by and looked good. And they got lucky. Just like the douche in Cali that saw an iPhone at a bar and took it for himself and got lucky.

And the blogs are happy to get their page hits writing it up cause even 'unknown prep farts at Apple Store' gets hits.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    tcphoto wrote: »

No one said they would but yes they can and might. They know the stuff taken from them was stolen. If it was taken from them. If it was taken from a third party dealer who had taken legal possession that becomes their issue to deal with.

They don't know what I claim was stolen was in fact or if I gave/sold it to you but then you pissed me off so I'm trying to screw you over. Unless I file a police report etc in the proper channels. Then they notify Apple etc.

but it is not Apples job, and in some states right, to play cop without the proper process and instructions from the proper legal authority.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So people steal valuable things. Must be a slow news day.

Agreed...

Can't wait for the 'Armed Robbery of Android Shipment" headline.

Oh... right.

• Reply 13 of 43
    tokenusertokenuser Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Agreed...

Oh... right.

HTC/Samsung would claim those units as "Sales".

• Reply 14 of 43
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Agreed...

Oh... right.

Shortly followed by the robbery...and then return...of the truck full of RIM products.

• Reply 15 of 43
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    tokenuser wrote: »
    HTC/Samsung would claim those units as "Sales".
    Lol!
  • Reply 16 of 43

In the world of firearms, these two aren't especially similar.  It seems unlikely that someone positively identified the weapons as one of the two.

M16_and_AK-47_length_comparison.png

• Reply 17 of 43

Just to put things in perspective: in France there is no licence allowing to carry or own guns and you can't buy firearms unless 1- You practice shooting in a dedicated sport club or 2- You own a hunting licence. In either case, automatic weapons aren't allowed to be sold to any french citizen.

People owning automatic weapons are part of organized mafia groups and not a petty thief. That's why it is doubtful the attack wasn't planned in advance and especially targeted at Apple hardware shipping.

The area where the attack took place  is in the vicinity of at least one proeminent Apple store is. I doubt it is a coincidence…

• Reply 18 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    stephane36 wrote: »
    Just to put things in perspective: in France there is no licence allowing to carry or own guns and you can't buy firearms unless 1- You practice shooting in a dedicated sport club or 2- You own a hunting licence. In either case, automatic weapons aren't allowed to be sold to any french citizen.
    People owning automatic weapons are part of organized mafia groups and not a petty thief. That's why it is doubtful the attack wasn't planned in advance and especially targeted at Apple hardware shipping.

The area where the attack took place  is in the vicinity of at least one proeminent Apple store is. I doubt it is a coincidence…

Maybe a RIM contract ...
  • Reply 19 of 43

If everyone carried an Automatic Weapon, there would be alot less crime...

• Reply 20 of 43
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Three guys with M16s do not take down a van by chance - they knew.

I like the idea too but have learned from history that libertarians would be up in arms about invasion of privacy.