Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The trend of making smartphone displays even bigger could continue this fall, as a new rumor claims Samsung is working on a Galaxy Note II that will feature a massive 5.5-inch display outsizing its predecessor.

The Samsung Galaxy Note II is expected to unveiled in August at the IFA consumer electronics trade show in Germany, according to Korean website MK Business News via The Verge). The new big-screen handset is rumored to feature a quad-core processor and a 12-megapixel camera.

If the second-generation Note does have a 5.5-inch display, it would be even bigger than the large 5.3-inch screen found on the first Note. Released earlier this year, the stylus-driven Note turned out to be a bigger-than-expected success for Samsung.

The details come as Apple is also rumored to be considering an increase in the screen size of its iPhone with a new sixth-generation model expected to debut this fall. However, Apple isn't expected to increase the size of the iPhone display to near the massive, near-tablet-size display of the Galaxy Note.

Reports have suggested that Apple's next iPhone will feature a screen size of around 4 inches, growing from the 3.5-inch-diagonal display that has been found on all iPhone models to date. Parts alleged to be from Apple's next iPhone have shown a taller display with about the same width as previous iPhones.

Galaxy Note
Comparison of Samsung Galaxy Note to Apple iPhone 4S, via PC World Australia.

Samsung's new flagship Android smartphone, the Galaxy S III, also features a relatively large screen, though it doesn't cross the 5-inch threshold like the Galaxy Note. It sports a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED screen powered by a 1.4 gigahertz processor and one gigabyte of RAM.

The first Galaxy Note was promoted earlier this year with a Super Bowl ad that took direct aim at iPhone users. It portrayed Apple customers who were happily converting to Samsung's big-screen handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 239
    flabberflabber Posts: 100member

This is getting ridiculous. I had the Note in my hand once... just once. It felt like the thing was handling mé instead of the other way around. How anyone can see that as a phone is out of this world. And an even bigger Note 2? Sign me up for being part of the group standing on the sidelines, laughing their butts off whenever we see somone lugging that thing around. 

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! ;)

• Reply 2 of 239
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

i'm sorry, bigger is not always better. This beast looks to be the size of the newton!

• Reply 3 of 239
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member

I want one, only without the phone and the high price!

• Reply 4 of 239

why not. they need something in between the 5" galaxy note and the 7" galaxy tab.

• Reply 5 of 239
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

HAHA wholly shait! It reminds of of when insecure, tiny men buy Hummers. LOL! Samsung doesn't know what else to do, copied everything they could out of Apple.

• Reply 6 of 239
    pit5000pit5000 Posts: 19member
    I can see it now....

Coming early 2014 the Galaxy Note Extreme, 14 inch screen 2560x1440, 8 core 2ghz cpu, 2 smart pen thingys, triple band 802.11ac, passive glasses free 3D, dual sim card.....

Seriously.., things are getting a little crazy with samsung..
  • Reply 7 of 239
    why not. they need something in between the 5" galaxy note and the 7" galaxy tab.

Been thinking the same for a while now. Someone needs to just split the difference and just have a 6" tabfone that requires handwriting to work. Someone will call it innovation. Others will call it Newton 3.0.
  • Reply 8 of 239
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

They'll just keep making them bigger until people stop buying them.

So if they're making it bigger, people must be buying it.

I saw one on the T and it just cracked us up!

So weird...

• Reply 9 of 239
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    That's a big ass phone.. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung puts phone capabilities on their Galaxy Tabs.
  • Reply 10 of 239
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

These big screen sizes are so impractical as a phone. The first Note is too big, and now they are making it bigger? Pretty ridiculous. Who wants to carry one of these things around in their pocket? Definitely not me. I was given the Note from my employer for my work phone. After using it for about a few weeks, I gave it back. Besides being too big and a crappy OS, the battery life was awful. 

• Reply 11 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    At least they're not copying Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 239
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

Granted 3.5 inches is too small anymore, but I wouldn't want to go bigger than 5.

• Reply 13 of 239

I can see this size phone being useful for large people (think NBA basketball players, NFL football players, World's Strongest Man competitors). Seems to be too big for "normal" humans, imho. Certainly would be for me.

They certainly seem to have found a niche in the market to serve with this type of larger device.

• Reply 14 of 239
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Android users are clearly attempting to compensate for something here. Anybody holding that huge sized phone up to their head is going to look like a complete moron, as if Fandroids don't already look like morons, even without their phone.

Android users clearly have an inferiority complex, and I don't really blame them, because I would have an inferiority complex too, if I was stuck using an inferior OS like Android.

Samsung is a Korean company, as most informed people know, and as a general rule of thumb, your phone should not be bigger than your penis size, and Koreans have one of the smallest average penis sizes in the entire world. I believe that this is related to understanding Samsung's fetish for ridiculously oversized and not very ergonomic phones, and the psychology behind choosing such sizes. Why would Samsung make such a ridiculous phone? Do they wish to advertise to the entire world that they have small penises?

http://www.everyoneweb.com/worldpenissize/

As we all know, an iPhone is currently 3.5", and we can safely say that the majority of Apple users have penises that are quite a bit larger than their phone. Some Apple users have penises that are at least twice the size of their phone or even greater. Tragically, pathetically and hilariously, with a 5.5" Android phone, many Android users will find that their dumb looking oversized phone is way bigger than their little penis.

To any females out there who have a fetish for small penises, you can now thank me for providing you with this useful information, because I have now outlined how to spot those males with the tiniest penises out there. Just look for the Fandroid with one of those huge, ridiculous phones.

• Reply 15 of 239
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by flabber View Post

This is getting ridiculous. I had the Note in my hand once... just once. It felt like the thing was handling mé instead of the other way around. How anyone can see that as a phone is out of this world. And an even bigger Note 2? Sign me up for being part of the group standing on the sidelines, laughing their butts off whenever we see somone lugging that thing around. 

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! ;)

Anyone who thinks these things look cool should just watch Wall Street 2, where the prison returns Gordon Gecko's 80's cell phone upon release. And it looks small compared these these Note jokes.

• Reply 16 of 239
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

SamsungGalaxyNoteII.jpg

• Reply 17 of 239
    qwertyjuanqwertyjuan Posts: 107member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Android users are clearly attempting to compensate for something here. Anybody holding that huge sized phone up to their head is going to look like a complete moron, as if Fandroids don't already look like morons, even without their phone.

Android users clearly have an inferiority complex, and I don't really blame them, because I would have an inferiority complex too, if I was stuck using an inferior OS like Android.

Samsung is a Korean company, as most informed people know, and as a general rule of thumb, your phone should not be bigger than your penis size, and Koreans have one of the smallest average penis sizes in the entire world. I believe that this is related to understanding Samsung's fetish for ridiculously oversized and not very ergonomic phones, and the psychology behind choosing such sizes. Why would Samsung make such a ridiculous phone? Do they wish to advertise to the entire world that they have small penises?

http://www.everyoneweb.com/worldpenissize/

As we all know, an iPhone is currently 3.5", and we can safely say that the majority of Apple users have penises that are quite a bit larger than their phone. Some Apple users have penises that are at least twice the size of their phone or even greater. Tragically, pathetically and hilariously, with a 5.5" Android phone, many Android users will find that their dumb looking oversized phone is way bigger than their little penis.

To any females out there who have a fetish for small penises, you can now thank me for providing you with this useful information, because I have now outlined how to spot those males with the tiniest penises out there. Just look for the Fandroid with one of those huge, ridiculous phones.

That has got to be the stupidest post I've read in a long time. Are you in Grade 6?

• Reply 18 of 239
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

*cut to three years from now*

Why not? They need something in between the 5.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999" Galaxy Note and the 5.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999" Galaxy Tab.
  • Reply 19 of 239
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    rtm135 wrote: »
    Granted 3.5 inches is too small anymore, but I wouldn't want to go bigger than 5.

The perfect size for a smartphone is up to 4 inches. If you can’t operate it with one hand it’s not a phone anymore, it’s just some device with phone capabilities.
  • Reply 20 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

They'll just keep making them bigger until people stop buying them.

So if they're making it bigger, people must be buying it.

I saw one on the T and it just cracked us up!

So weird...

You're right. Considering the first one was 5.3in and sold millions worldwide over the last year (much to everyone's surprise including mine) what's another .2in I guess? Can't blame them for trying. I'm assuming this device is a fad that will run it's course. Unless the actual size of the device is the same somehow.