Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 239
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You really think that I mediately after Steve's death everyone at Apple started working on a 7" from scratch so that they could have it ready a year later? If you believe that then you have failed to comprehend so many basic concepts.

Jumping in here, but yes, I think Apple has many, many, many prototypes of potential devices sitting in their labs. 5" Touches, 4" iPhones, 14" iPads, and yes, 7" iPads. And once the design is stable, it's just a matter of sourcing the parts and hiring one of their "turn on a dime" manufacturing partners.

You might also note that Steve was against quite a few things (like iTunes for Windows) but was later convinced that Apple needed to do them. 

• Reply 42 of 239
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

I am SO SO HAPPY I'm giggling as I type this because finally FINALLY we get this:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/681040/the_huge_cell_phone_and_yelling_prank/

• Reply 43 of 239
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

I recently saw what must have been a Galaxy Note at the World Series of Poker in Vegas.  

Freakishly, goofily big.  Like a circus clown prop.

• Reply 44 of 239
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Ballmer holds new Microsoft Surface up to his ear and begins to speak.

• Reply 45 of 239

Comes with the patented "PPP" (Patch Pocket Protector), because it won't fit in regular pockets.  Just sew this patch onto your jeans or other outfit, and you won't have to walk around with it in your hand all the time.  If you want to wear more than a single pair of jeans, additional PPP's are available for only $14.99 each.

• Reply 46 of 239
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have used the iPad for a camera though and I must say it's just so good, that it kind of disappoints me that (so far) I kind of have to do it in secret so as not to be ridiculed.  I'm not sure I get why having a super large, super excellent, viewfinder for your camera is supposed to be "dumb." It really makes setting up the shot a lot easier and it's so WYSIWYG it's insane. 

Guess most people have never used 4x5 or 8x10 view cameras. The current iPad is still a little large, as most cameras of that size would be tripod mounted for stability, which the pad doesn't really allow. Hand holding, it's also a bit awkward to reach the right spot on the screen for the focal point selection.

A 7" tablet would be much better in that regard... (grin)

• Reply 47 of 239
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    povilas wrote: »
    The perfect size for a smartphone is up to 4 inches. If you can’t operate it with one hand it’s not a phone anymore, it’s just some device with phone capabilities.

I actually wouldn't mind that one bit. IF I don't have to pay a contract. I don't make that many voice calls so some kind of pay as you go would be perfect.
    For me the real issue is that I don't find the smaller screens that practical for my other needs. My iPad is a working size for me and I don't find it that hard to carry around etc
  • Reply 49 of 239
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    ahmlco wrote: »
    Jumping in here, but yes, I think Apple has many, many, many prototypes of potential devices sitting in their labs. 5" Touches, 4" iPhones, 14" iPads, and yes, 7" iPads.

That is likely true but it doesn't equal the certainty of a product anymore than Apple getting a patent means they will use it themselves.
  • Reply 50 of 239
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    zroger73 wrote: »
    I guess the old Motorolas were 20 years ahead of their time.

LL
    I miss the old bag phones. 3 watts of broadcast power!
  • Reply 51 of 239
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    ahmlco wrote: »
    Guess most people have never used 4x5 or 8x10 view cameras. The current iPad is still a little large, as most cameras of that size would be tripod mounted for stability, which the pad doesn't really allow. Hand holding, it's also a bit awkward to reach the right spot on the screen for the focal point selection.

A 7" tablet would be much better in that regard... (grin)

Ram mount. I use a version of the Ram mount to mount the iPad 3 to my windshield for use as a gps but no reason you couldn't affix it to a tripod or other mount.
    Worlds most awesome gps ever.
  • Reply 52 of 239
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    bagman wrote: »
    You nailed it.  Even 4 inches will not work for those with small hands, but 3.5 inches works for most everyone.

Has anyone talked to any app developers, who must be tearing their respective hairs out trying to match the graphics of each game to each device - sheesh.
    The first part of your post i understand where you are coming from, but most of the large Android phones I see are in use by people with small hands.

Most of these comments don't even try to imagine what the needs of other people are when it comes to smart phones. I realize this is an Apple enthusiast dominated site, but comments like these just wreak of smugness.

The reality is, instead of two devices, you buy one. As a phone, you use it with Bluetooth or other hands free solutions or as a speakerphone. In a pinch you can pick it up and hold it against your head a lot easier than an iPad. For Internet browsing, e-mail, games, maps, books, etc. a 5" screen is going to be a lot easier to see and use. Most of the people I know with these oversized phones are women who carry purses ... so it's even more practical from a transportation standpoint. And I seriously doubt a manufacturer would invest the resources to manufacture and market such a device, of there were no market for it -- it may not sell like the iPhone, but it doesn't have to.

Personally, my iPhone is a bit larger than I would prefer for a phone in my pocket, but I accept this because it has so many other uses. Even before I had my iPad, I rarely sat around browsing on my iPhone, playing games, or anything else, because it's just too small ... I get frustrated pretty quickly with how hard it can be to navigate. And, I rarely put the iPhone up against my head, so aside from being able to slide it in my jeans, size is mostly irrelevant.

Now, I also have an iPad. When I travel, I take my iPhone and my iPad. That's still better than when I used to travel with my Motorola Razr flip-phone and PowerBook, but still, more than I need for most trips. A 5" iPhone might just fit perfectly into that category where it's the only device I need. I'm actually a little concerned about the new larger iPhone rumors, because if true, I don't feel the larger size will actually add anything to the useable screen space, and it will make it that much harder to slip into a pocket.

So I am definitely not the guy is phone is targeted at, but I can certainly see the appeal to others. So I say we all give that aspect of the phone a break.

The second part of your post is the most objective, which is manufacturers keep churning out these different form factors without any regard to how the software will work on them, nor with any eye toward upgrading or supporting it down the road. I totally agree this is worthy of ridicule ...
  • Reply 53 of 239
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member

582_strip.bmp

I had a Samsung Exec in my chair last week - fitted him with the perfect glasses for his next board meeting.

• Reply 54 of 239
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I have used the iPad for a camera though and I must say it's just so good, that it kind of disappoints me that (so far) I kind of have to do it in secret so as not to be ridiculed.  I'm not sure I get why having a super large, super excellent, viewfinder for your camera is supposed to be "dumb." It really makes setting up the shot a lot easier and it's so WYSIWYG it's insane. 
    I hear you. Aside from stability, The iPad is a great camera for framing a shot. I would never use it that way, because it's just too big to carry around for that purpose. But I would certainly do it, and have done it when I had the iPad with me (it mostly lives at home and in hotel rooms, and airplanes). I see people using it that way all the time in the wild -- at concerts, contests, sporting events, etc. and the people look pretty silly holding it up -- I also have to imagine it gets pretty heavy in the hands after awhile. The people using them remind me of my grandmother taking family photos with her old Brownie box-camera with flash attachment. Essentially turning the taker into a huge tripod.

And this is an Apple product!! So I have to point out, if folks here can't imagine anybody wanting a 5" phone, then you have to suggest that Apple should have never put a rear facing camera on the iPad, or at least one of no higher quality than video conferencing requires, because an iPad is just as impractical as a camera as a 5+" cell phone.
  • Reply 55 of 239
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If Samsung does create such a device, I imagine the target audience is fairly small.

There's certain professionals I can think of who could benefit from a pocketable ultra-portable mini-tablet. Adding a smart-stylus for mark-ups such as detailing a picture, highlighting specific notes or clipping a pertinent passage from a web image or page could be a helpful touch for tradesmen, salespeople and the like. That it could also be used as a phone if needed is just a side benefit. I doubt the idea that it might have some success developed in a vacuum. More likely it's prompted by feedback from users of the original Note.

Be assured, if this device is made Samsung will announce tremendous sales.

• Reply 56 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Who wants to carry one of these things around in their pocket? 

As of last March, according to Slashgear, around 5 Million people.

Quote:

Definitely not me. 

You Think Different.,

• Reply 57 of 239
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Although not for me, I think there is a large enough target audience that the Note II can sell well. No, not nearly as many as the iPhone or Galaxy III, but certainly many millions. There are many people now that rarely even talk on their phone at all. A good bluetooth headset would solve the bulkiness of using it as a phone. There are also plenty of people who always have a bag, case, or something with them to carry it since it is probably too large to fit in your pocket. I don't understand why most people keep touting the one handed use. Even on my iPhone I use it quite a lot horizontally which means two handed use and even vertically I find it more comfortable to sit it in my left hand and use my right hand for touching the screen. 

Personally I think the sweet spot is around 4.3". 

• Reply 58 of 239
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

Samsung has sold over 7 million Galaxy Notes.   Somebody likes them.  

• Reply 59 of 239
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not so sure the whole "too big to be a phone" is really a valid argument.  I see a lot of people using iPhones and it seems a great deal of them don't hold it or talk into it in the same way as a typical or "regular" phone.  It's not just Android phones because they are big.  A lot of folks hold the iPhone in their hand like a small pizza and whisper into the microphone hole or the attached microphone on the speaker cable.  A lot of folks, put it on the table on speaker mode also.  

Maybe the idea that a "phone" has to be something you hold in one hand, and put up to your head so the speaker and microphone holes line up, is the thing that's passé.  

It's like everyone always says that you shouldn't take a picture with an iPad because .... ?  

Well, they never really say why, just that it "isn't done," or some such thing.  

Maybe time moves on, and maybe we should adjust what we think of as "normal" instead of laughing at people that are essentially innovating new ways to use a phone-type device.  Maybe the phone itself is being redefined at this moment in history?  Seems kind of likely to me.  

If Apple comes out with the iPad mini for instance, I will probably get one and it would seem likely it would replace my iPhone as well as my current iPad.  That means when I get that single phone call a month or so that I typically get, I will have to talk into my iPad, so I will be a "fool" also.  I don't think I'll feel like a fool though, and I think those calling me one would be the real fools.  

I bet half the people that think of these as not "real" or "proper" phones probably have that old-timey 'ringing phone' ringtone on theirs and think that's cool also.  :-/

I don't think anyone is a fool if they like these large phones. They just aren't for me personally. My biggest gripe with these large phones is carrying the thing around in a pocket. I generally don't like having anything other then my car keys, wallet, and iPhone. The iPhone is small, so I don't notice it in my pocket. When I had the Note, it was a little uncomfortable and kind of annoying inside my pocket. Yes, the large screen made it nice to read websites, look at maps,  and take notes with the S-pen at meetings, but I didn't like using it to take or receive phone calls. I do want the next iPhone to be bigger, but not substantially. 

Hey now, there is nothing wrong with the "Old Phone" ringtone on the iPhone 

• Reply 60 of 239
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

As of last March, according to Slashgear, around 5 Million people.

You Think Different.,

A personal opinion doesn't make me think different. I'm sure many here don't like the idea of carrying the Note around in their pocket. What that number doesn't tell you how many of those phones were purchased by women. Carrying the phone around isn't an issue since most women use a purse.