Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 239
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Hey now, there is nothing wrong with the "Old Phone" ringtone on the iPhone 

Using that ringtone was included on a list I read once of "ways to tell if you are a geezer."  

Seemed apt to me.  

:-)  

The only other one I remember is that holding the iPhone with one hand, while poking at it with a single extended index finger from the other (especially if you have to look over your spectacles to do so), is considered to make you similarly "geezerish."  
  • Reply 62 of 239
    mrmantlemrmantle Posts: 20member

it's different strokes for different folks, and i give them credit for trying to "innovate."  There will be some application for the larger phones.  It would be good to see some different form factors from Apple as the whole thin thing is getting old.  Thin is becoming a feature that isn't relevant, make it twice as thick with a battery that lasts, and you get a phone out of the consumer segment into the corporate market (and yes, we see a lot of iPhones already in the corporate market.)

• Reply 63 of 239
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not quoting it because that just perpetuates it, but this are some seriously offensive, racist/sexist comments here based on probably no actual information when it comes right down to it.  

I reported it and encourage the moderators to send you out to pasture for a few days.  

I know from reading the forum a lot that you are an older person with some seriously old-fashioned ideas and that you probably don't mean anything by this but seriously, if you can't behave in public, maybe it's time to stay in your room and not be commenting on teh internets?

Let's not fight racism with ageism.

[ Now get off my lawn!! ]

• Reply 64 of 239
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

A personal opinion doesn't make me think different. I'm sure many here don't like the idea of carrying the Note around in their pocket. What that number doesn't tell you how many of those phones were purchased by women. Carrying the phone around isn't an issue since most women use a purse. 

Like I said before the Note is not for me, but it is certainly smaller than my Glock that I carry with me, so I don't imagine the Note would present an insurmountable challenge in terms of carrying it around. Granted that is in a holster and not a pocket.  Hey there is an idea, a holster that holds a sidearm and a smartphone. But if I really wanted a Note it would fit in my pocket, but I imagine not comfortably especially walking stairs or sitting down. I would guess most men would prefer to carry it with a belt clip holster and women would use a purse. Seems like a small price to pay if you really want all that screen real estate. 

• Reply 65 of 239

I am waiting for the Series 9 Ultrabook to get phone capabilities so that it can be renamed a 13.3" flip phone.

• Reply 66 of 239
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    rtm135 wrote: »
    Granted 3.5 inches is too small anymore, but I wouldn't want to go bigger than 5.

That's not what your wife said to me last night. Bah-dum-Psssh!!!
  • Reply 67 of 239

During a recent trip I traveled on five different airplanes, and a woman in my row had an AT&T version of a five-inch phone.  She loved it!  However, she did say that a lot of people in her workplace made fun of her for having such a large phone.

By the way, speaking of larger screen  devices, the number of people carrying iPads on those planes?  I don't fly very frequently, so to me it was a visible confirmation of how great the iPad is.  Another seatmate was a retired grandmother, and we compared apps on our iPads.  She carried a lot of games that her grandchildren play.  Cute!

• Reply 68 of 239
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That is likely true but it doesn't equal the certainty of a product anymore than Apple getting a patent means they will use it themselves.

Obviously. But the individual to which I replied was commenting on the absurdity of the idea that Apple rushed to create a new, smaller iPad design in the year since Steve died. I was simply pointing out that the design for a 7" iPad -- along with many others -- already exists in Apple's labs. Just like the prototype for the iPhone 5 and the prototype for iPhone 6 already exist...

They simply have to decide to put it into production.

• Reply 69 of 239
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Let's not fight racism with ageism.

[ Now get off my lawn!! ]

What I wrote was probably offensive, that's just how I roll, but it wasn't racist and it was backed up by statistical data. Anyway, this a non issue now, since the post is now history.

• Reply 70 of 239
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Like I said before the Note is not for me, but it is certainly smaller than my Glock that I carry with me, so I don't imagine the Note would present an insurmountable challenge in terms of carrying it around. Granted that is in a holster and not a pocket.  Hey there is an idea, a holster that holds a sidearm and a smartphone. But if I really wanted a Note it would fit in my pocket, but I imagine not comfortably especially walking stairs or sitting down. I would guess most men would prefer to carry it with a belt clip holster and women would use a purse. Seems like a small price to pay if you really want all that screen real estate. 

Now you are getting the real fetish out in the open. I kinda wish you'd kept it to yourself.
  • Reply 71 of 239
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    That's not what your wife said to me last night. Bah-dum-Psssh!!!

Oh snap :D
  • Reply 72 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ahmlco wrote: »
    Jumping in here, but yes, I think Apple has many, many, many prototypes of potential devices sitting in their labs. 5" Touches, 4" iPhones, 14" iPads, and yes, 7" iPads. And once the design is stable, it's just a matter of sourcing the parts and hiring one of their "turn on a dime" manufacturing partners.

You might also note that Steve was against quite a few things (like iTunes for Windows) but was later convinced that Apple needed to do them. 

The fact that during Jobs reign you say Apple created a 7" tablet that was so complete that it could be manufactured without haste is proof that Jobs was not against a 7" tablet and nothing he's ever been quoted saying states otherwise. He said the current 7" tablets were DOA and that the 9.7" iPd was the ideal size which could easily true if he meant it for their first tablet or for the available HW and cost in 2010. There is no proof that he's said that Apple will never make a 7" tablet or that no 7" tablet could ever be a viable product.
  • Reply 73 of 239
    eltroyoeltroyo Posts: 4member

I'm guessing something else of yours is tiny ...hence the need to compensate with a giant phone.

They really should make one a 12" one that you can carry on your shoulder for 'guys' like you.

• Reply 74 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eltroyo View Post

I'm guessing something else of yours is tiny ...hence the need to compensate with a giant phone.

They really should make one a 12" one that you can carry on your shoulder for 'guys' like you.

A bit early in your young life at AppleInsider to be slinging ad-homs already. Why not start with some well-thought out arguments why a device like this has no chance at success rather than juvenile attempts to mock more established forum members?

• Reply 75 of 239
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    flabber wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. I had the Note in my hand once... just once. It felt like the thing was handling mé instead of the other way around. How anyone can see that as a phone is out of this world. And an even bigger Note 2? Sign me up for being part of the group standing on the sidelines, laughing their butts off whenever we see somone lugging that thing around. 

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! ;)

I agree, too funny. I bet their 'focus' group on this design were either five year olds or ninety year olds.
  • Reply 76 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What I wrote was probably offensive, that's just how I roll, but it wasn't racist and it was backed up by statistical data. Anyway, this a non issue now, since the post is now history.

Hey, I found the old people / old fashioned ideas comment more offensive.

... and I'm not one who should be throwing stones (and I don't take that fairly tale literally either).

• Reply 77 of 239
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Granted 3.5 inches is too small anymore, but I wouldn't want to go bigger than 5.

says who? it's a freakin' phone.     What do you want... a lunch tray up to your ear while you talk? ;-)

Tablets... yes... down to a certain point (7")...

Phones...  Smaller is better... less stress on the physical structure (phones should be indestructible), less bulk, more portable.

If you can't read it buy a $99 aTV and project your phone onto 55" big screen TV;-)

Note:  I'm 6'3" and have big hands... but small thumbs (Why yes, I'm a carny).

I'm all for an iPad Mini, but a iPhone 5"   nope.

4"... maybe, if the outer dimensions tighten up a bit.

• Reply 78 of 239
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The fact that during Jobs reign you say Apple created a 7" tablet that was so complete that it could be manufactured without haste is proof that Jobs was not against a 7" tablet and nothing he's ever been quoted saying states otherwise. He said the current 7" tablets were DOA and that the 9.7" iPd was the ideal size which could easily true if he meant it for their first tablet or for the available HW and cost in 2010. There is no proof that he's said that Apple will never make a 7" tablet or that no 7" tablet could ever be a viable product.

He said 7" tablets are tweeners, then he added the current ones were DOA. I have a hard time imagining Jobs lking any 7". But all that is moot. He no longer runs the show.
  • Reply 79 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by flabber View Post

This is getting ridiculous. I had the Note in my hand once... just once. It felt like the thing was handling mé instead of the other way around. How anyone can see that as a phone is out of this world. And an even bigger Note 2? Sign me up for being part of the group standing on the sidelines, laughing their butts off whenever we see somone lugging that thing around. 

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! ;)

As a phone it does seem ridiculous to me but as a small tablet type of device I think it's interesting and the rumored larger size makes even more sense imho.

... but as a phone... c'mon... really...

• Reply 80 of 239
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Quote:

Originally Posted by flabber View Post

You are looking at it in a rather simplistic way. From what I have seen, people using these really large phones, at least the smart ones, do most of their talking using a bluetooth headset/ear bud. Most of the time when the phone is being handled, it is being used as a small tablet. Herein lies the appeal.

I have an iPad 2 and it is a great device. But you can't throw it into your pocket and carry it around as easy as a phone. Not even close. Even 7" tablets miss the mark in this regard. They are still too big. But a 5" phone, or maybe a little bigger like this one, still fits in most pockets and can be easily carried around. It is a far more portable device than any of the larger tablets.

Frankly, if Apple does come out with a 7" or so iPad they are stupid. It won't be significantly more portable than the normal iPad although I suppose it would have the appeal of being somewhat cheaper. What they should do is replace the iPod touch with a 5" iPad model and with wifi or wifi/3G/4G.

-kpluck