Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

Comments

• Reply 81 of 239
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

You are looking at it in a rather simplistic way. From what I have seen, people using these really large phones, at least the smart ones, do most of their talking using a bluetooth headset/ear bud. Most of the time when the phone is being handled, it is being used as a small tablet. Herein lies the appeal.

I have an iPad 2 and it is a great device. But you can't throw it into your pocket and carry it around as easy as a phone. Not even close. Even 7" tablets miss the mark in this regard. They are still too big. But a 5" phone, or maybe a little bigger like this one, still fits in most pockets and can be easily carried around. It is a far more portable device than any of the larger tablets.

Frankly, if Apple does come out with a 7" or so iPad they are stupid. It won't be significantly more portable than the normal iPad although I suppose it would have the appeal of being somewhat cheaper. What they should do is replace the iPod touch with a 5" iPad model and with wifi or wifi/3G/4G.

-kpluck

That would be a first in a long while...

• Reply 82 of 239
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

I see the Galaxy Note as a portable information appliance that just happens to include a phone app.

If you carry your phone in the pocket of your skinny jeans then clearly none of the modern Android devices is for you. They all have a screen size of at least 4.65".

If, however, you wear looser fitting casual pants it's easy to fit devices larger than an iPhone. If you live in a cooler climate where outerwear is a necessity most of the year then you likely have even larger jacket pockets available for your phone.

If you typically carry a purse or other bag then size isn't an issue. Heck many of you claim an iPad is portable.

Is it too big to use as a phone? That depends.

How often do you really use your mobile phone as a phone? Don't you use it for messaging, browsing and gaming far more than for actual voice calls?

Earbuds and bluetooth earpieces are a viable option for the ever shrinking portion of the population that still uses lots of minutes.

I have relatively small hands, but I'm looking forward to trying the Galaxy S III and Note II.

• Reply 83 of 239
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I miss the old bag phones. 3 watts of broadcast power!

Yeah, buddy! I had a new '92 Pontiac Grand Am back in the day that didn't like my 3-watt bag phone. I always could tell when it was about to ring because the cruise control would disengage and the gauges would peg out. Once the call ended, everything would return to normal. :)

• Reply 84 of 239
    kevinn206kevinn206 Posts: 117member

The Note doesn't seem that big at 5.3" and 5.5" shouldn't be a huge difference. I have seen people using it, and I have always thought using the Internet and playing games on it is probably much more immersive. I see people text, IM, playing games, and web browsing much, much more than speaking on the phone. For me, I think 4.3" is a reasonable size.

• Reply 85 of 239
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kpluck wrote: »
    Frankly, if Apple does come out with a 7" or so iPad they are stupid. It won't be significantly more portable than the normal iPad although I suppose it would have the appeal of being somewhat cheaper. What they should do is replace the iPod touch with a 5" iPad model and with wifi or wifi/3G/4G.

-kpluck

I love how everyone thinks they know more than Apple and also more than everyone else on this forum.

I don't know if Apple will release a 7" iPad, but if they do, they would have a very strong reason to believe it would be successful. Apple hasn't released a 'stupid' product for a long time.

And lots of people here have expressed a significant interest in a 7" iPad. I can certainly see how it would be interesting to a lot of people.

Of course, it's hardly worth taking marketing advice from someone who claims that half the size is 'not significantly more portable'.
  • Reply 86 of 239
    Most people are using their phones for everything but phones, so how it looks holding it to your head is nonsense. Besides, with Bluetooth and corded headsets, you only need the phone to dial.
    What looks ridiculous is holding up an iPad to take a picture.

A larger screen size is what motivated me to try a Galaxy 2. The ease of operation and customization options motivated me to take home a Galaxy 2.
    Apple is realizing size does matter and is now playing catch-up.
  • Reply 87 of 239
    Very good point. My Mac Performa had a telephone program that include voicemail. Just because it had a phone feature didn't mean that was all I used it for.
    The 17" monitor was great, even though it was too big to hold to my ear when I used the phone!
    Size is important and the more we use our phones for other things the more we will realize a larger screen size is important for many of the phone's uses.
    And studies show more people are texting than calling.
  • Reply 88 of 239
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    flabber wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. I had the Note in my hand once... just once. It felt like the thing was handling mé instead of the other way around. How anyone can see that as a phone is out of this world. And an even bigger Note 2? Sign me up for being part of the group standing on the sidelines, laughing their butts off whenever we see somone lugging that thing around. 

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! ;)

I think you are overlooking Samsung's ability to innovate. Not everyone can just make screens bigger.

Sarcasm
  • Reply 89 of 239
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member

I haven't read this whole thread because the overwhelming negativity is obvious. I'd just like to make a few points in favor of the suggested device.

The stats I've seen show that most phones aren't used much as phones. They're used for apps, games, web surfing, video chat and everything but phone calls.

Samsung has been surprised at the popularity of the Galaxy Note, so, if the rumor is true, they've decided to make a second version in the same size enclosure with a larger screen, probably edge to edge. Makes sense to me.

I had an original iPod touch with its tiny 3.5 inch screen. I used it for about a month and decided it was too small to be useful for internet and too big as an iPod. Since then, I haven't wanted an iPhone or any other iPod touch. I did recently get a Galaxy Player from Samsung with a 5" screen and I love it.

To each their own.

• Reply 90 of 239
    jragosta wrote: »
    I love how everyone thinks they know more than Apple and also more than everyone else on this forum.
    I don't know if Apple will release a 7" iPad, but if they do, they would have a very strong reason to believe it would be successful. Apple hasn't released a 'stupid' product for a long time.
    And lots of people here have expressed a significant interest in a 7" iPad. I can certainly see how it would be interesting to a lot of people.
    Of course, it's hardly worth taking marketing advice from someone who claims that half the size is 'not significantly more portable'.

A 7" tablet isn't significantly more portable than an iPad. It would sell to women and perhaps students. But the truth is, you would still need a bag. You are not just gonna carry it and it won't fit in your pocket. And since it isn't a phone you don't need to have it with you.

But I really don't think a seven inch tablet would offer such an improvement in user experience that people would feel compelled to take both a tablet and their phone.

It still isn't a device to carry around casually. And by that standard NO, it isn't really more portable than a iPad currently is.
  • Reply 91 of 239
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

-kpluck

It won't be stupid. A 7" iPad would be a lot more purse and briefcase and backpack friendly. It would be smaller and lighter. More to the point, and as the Fire and 7 have shown, it could made and sold for a lot less money.

Personally, I think they should have the iPad AND a 7" iPad AND a 5" Touch AND an iPhone. And maybe even a 13"-14" iPad.

They do, after all, have 11", 13", 15" (and formerly) 17" notebooks. And shuffles and nanos and iPod Classics and Touches.

You can't cater to everyone, but there is something to be said for letting the user pick the size that THEY think is best suited to their lifestyle.

And, personally, stupid is assuming that everyone else's use case is the same as your own.

• Reply 92 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

A 7" tablet isn't significantly more portable than an iPad. It would sell to women and perhaps students. But the truth is, you would still need a bag. You are not just gonna carry it and it won't fit in your pocket. And since it isn't a phone you don't need to have it with you.

But I really don't think a seven inch tablet would offer such an improvement in user experience that people would feel compelled to take both a tablet and their phone.

It still isn't a device to carry around casually. And by that standard NO, it isn't really more portable than a iPad currently is.

Says you...

• Reply 93 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

It won't be stupid. A 7" iPad would be a lot more purse and briefcase and backpack friendly. It would be smaller and lighter. More to the point, and as the Fire and 7 have shown, it could made and sold for a lot less money.

Personally, I think they should have the iPad AND a 7" iPad AND a 5" Touch AND an iPhone. And maybe even a 13"-14" iPad.

They do, after all, have 11", 13", 15" (and formerly) 17" notebooks. And shuffles and nanos and iPod Classics and Touches.

You can't cater to everyone, but there is something to be said for letting the user pick the size that THEY think is best suited to their lifestyle.

And, personally, stupid is assuming that everyone else's use case is the same as your own.

... and what has Apple got to lose. So somebody who was going to buy a 10" decides to buy a 7", no real loss to revenue considering that there will probably be buyers of the 7" who would otherwise have bought a competitors product.

If Apple does bring out a 7" touch device then I think there are quite a few forum members who will need a sedative.

... and if they don't... well, there wasn't one in the first place so c'est la vie.

• Reply 94 of 239
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bmason1270 wrote: »

You keep saying that it's not significantly more portable, but it's half the size. That is more portable in anyone's book (at least, anyone rational).
  • Reply 95 of 239
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

That's very well-said and I agree completely. Apple sells so many millions and millions of iPads, iPods and iPhones; what's it going to hurt to make more choices available? 10 years ago, limiting the product line made sense, when Apple was struggling. But now everything they sell is a hit, so expanding the product line a bit should be no risk.

• Reply 96 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    johndoe98 wrote: »
    He said 7" tablets are tweeners, then he added the current ones were DOA. I have a hard time imagining Jobs lking any 7". But all that is moot. He no longer runs the show.

Yes! But you disagree that a smaller tablet is in between the iPhone and iPad?

Yes! And which of those 7" tablets actually thrived in the market?

You have a hard time imagining a human being that likes more than one thing in a product category but decides to start with a single product focus for their first device? You should really read the link below. The whole thing gives you insight to Jobs's clear thinking and Apple's current philosophy (whether you want to believe it or not) but here is a very relevant part about Jeff Bezos and Steve Jobs seeing Dean Kamen's Segway for the first time...
    "Because I see a big problem here," said Jobs. "I was thinking about it all night. I couldn't sleep after Dean came over." There were notes scribbled on the palm of his hand. He explained his experience with the iMac, how there were four models now but he had launched with just one color to give his designers, salespeople, and the public an absolute focus. He had waited seven months to introduce the other models. Bezos and Doerr nodded as he spoke.
  • Reply 97 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That's not what your wife said to me last night. Bah-dum-Psssh!!!

Is that we're talking the level of discourse here? ???? Don't make me break out my "Your binaries so fat..." jokes.
  • Reply 98 of 239
    Says you...

Says the market share of 7" tablets.

People might buy an Apple version but it's shortcomings will become apparent after the fact.

There are lots of things people want until they own it.
  • Reply 99 of 239
    fast fredfast fred Posts: 24member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

HAHA wholly shait! It reminds of of when insecure, tiny men buy Hummers. LOL! Samsung doesn't know what else to do, copied everything they could out of Apple.

HaHa, yeah finally they get to hold something big in their hand.

• Reply 100 of 239
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is that we're talking the level of discourse here? ???? Don't make me break out my "Your binaries so fat..." jokes.

LOL. I'm not the one bragging about my "5 inches".