New AT&T system will allow users to block stolen devices from use

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Not to mention the still-broken smiley widget.

Ahh... Smilies are tough... they will be supported in the "Pro" version -- sometime in October of some year  :(

Oddly, I have less trouble dictating from my iPad (iOS 6) then keying text.

• Reply 22 of 35
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

Shouldn't this system have been devised when phones were first equipped with ESNs? Which means since the early 80s? 

• Reply 23 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

My granddaughter got her iPhone back in Syracuse that say. Cop went to the house, rang the doorbell, and asked for the return of the phone the person had "found." end of story.

Ohh... that patrolman will make sergeant or even chief... on his way to POTUS

• Reply 24 of 35
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member

About f'in time. This is the least that they could do

• Reply 25 of 35
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Shouldn't this system have been devised when phones were first equipped with ESNs? Which means since the early 80s? 

I'm pretty sure cellphone theft wasn't as prevalent in the early 80s.

Should it have been implemented ten years ago? I think so, but I'm not surprised U.S. mobile operators are slow in innovating. I would also not be surprised if mobile operators in other countries had been antitheft procedures.

US cellular companies are pathetically backwards.

• Reply 26 of 35

Quote:

My granddaughter got her iPhone back in Syracuse that say. Cop went to the house, rang the doorbell, and asked for the return of the phone the person had "found." end of story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ohh... that patrolman will make sergeant or even chief... on his way to POTUS

Reminds me of the story of the bellboy at a luxury hotel who accidentally walked in on a woman in the bathtub -- he quickly shut the door and said "Sorry Sir!".

??? I tried to post the reply immediately above -- but it disappeared... so I went back and quoted @OldMacGuy and Shazam!  There's my reply showing as a quote.

Starting now I am going to denote AI forum problems in larger red text.

Here's another... when creating or editing a post you cannot do anything with any text you highlight (right click on OS X, select on iOS) search the web, define, spell check.  AI's editor seems to be intercepting/interpreting keystrokes from the text area.

AI... Could we please go back to the Windows 7 version of your site?

• Reply 27 of 35

Hey this is a novel idea. Oh wait. It's been done before. European operators have been doing this for years...

• Reply 28 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T, the second largest carrier in the U.S., is reportedly set to launch a new service next week that will let owners of stolen devices block them from accessing its network.

I certainly hope that ATT will require the "owner" to submit a police report of the "theft".  Otherwise, a sleazy seller of a used device could easily make some mischief.  "I'm not sure how that happened, but I'll 'help you' for another $50.00."

This policy may cause problems and be discontinued.

• Reply 29 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

@SolipsismX According to the article, you first have to report it stolen... to the police? If so, this should somewhat deter "spiteful submissions"... cheating significant other, etc.

Nowhere does the article say that you need to report the theft to the police.  

• Reply 30 of 35
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Quote:

Not saying it can't be done, but it'd be far more effective to make the phones a less attractive target for theft in the first place. The person who had your granddaughter's phone was probably a one-time opportunist thief, not a regular, dozens of phones a month thief. Those guys would never get caught with the phone.

• Reply 31 of 35
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Hear! Hear! to all below statements. The effort it takes to post takes away the fun. Doens't matter if I use the old BBeditor or not. Replying, multi-quoting, it became 'an effort' after this Huddler Tech was implemented. Indeed, please go back to the Windows 7 aka vBulletin version for the forum to work properly. The only way for me to post is to (multi)quote, copy the whole thing to TextEdit.app, write nd edit in there and copy-paste it back to Safari. On iOS I don't even bother anymore, although dictating on iPad works.
    Ya' know, I have had tons of trouble posting to these AI forums ever since they changed the site -- this includes the latest Safari running on OS X Lion, OS X ML, iOS 5.1.1, iO6. Every time I try to post it appears to work differently! I don't have problems posting to any other sites. Likely, it involves the JavaScript manipulation going on when you post or preview. When I quote a post, it usually displays the html of the cost for a second, then renders it... sometimes it just displays an empty area -- with nothing to indicate that a quote was made. Though, in the latter case, if you preview your response, the quoted post will sometimes magically appear. Often there will be no header controls to embellish the post input area (Font, Size, Color, Link, Image, etc.) Das ist Scheiße!

Above is how AI formatted a post I entered as:

I've gotten in the habit of copying my posts before I preview or submit them.

There were no edit controls when I posted the original -- but they are there, now.

So I will ad some emphasis I couldn't include in the original:

[SIZE=24px]Das ist Scheiße![/SIZE]

The other day I hit Quote and it wouldn't work. I tried on several posts in several forums. So I went back and hit reply and I got the other person's comment in triplicate.

Shortly thereafter everything seemed to begin working normally.

Not to mention the still-broken smiley widget.

:lol:

Ahh... Smilies are tough... they will be supported in the "Pro" version -- sometime in October of some year  :(

Oddly, I have less trouble dictating from my iPad (iOS 6) then keying text.

[SIZE=18px]??? I tried to post the reply immediately above -- but it disappeared... so I went back and quoted @OldMacGuy and Shazam!  There's my reply showing as a quote.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18px]Starting now I am going to denote AI forum problems in larger red text.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18px]Here's another... when creating or editing a post you cannot do anything with any text you highlight (right click on OS X, select on iOS) search the web, define, spell check.  AI's editor seems to be intercepting/interpreting keystrokes from the text area.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18px]AI... Could we please go back to the[/SIZE] [SIZE=24px]Windows 7[/SIZE] [SIZE=18px]version of your site?[/SIZE]
  • Reply 32 of 35
    How about a command to short the battery to ground and burn the phone/tablet into molten glass, plastic and silicon?

I had a 3GS stolen and was able to see the phone traveling down the I-10. Trigger the meltdown and then wonder how the thief would explain the car fire to the highway patrol?

Imagine the deterrence value after a few hundred toasted thieves turned up at hospitals?

Or, put a dye pack into these devices and blow them. I'd think Apple Green would be a great color.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    charlituna wrote: »
    So my iPhone, which is linked to my number, goes missing. I can block that device (the linkage proving my authority over it) while keeping my number open to be used in another device. Great.
    Until my missing iPhone is unlocked and put on simplemobile, tmobile etc. because they will not be alerted about the loss. And Apple won't do anything unless I file a police report and they are willing to take to Apple on my behalf etc. and even then the best they are likely to do is deny any service paid or unpaid on the lost phone because no one can prove the new owner was the thief or knew it was stolen goods.
    Well I guess even this baby step is better than nothing

You don't have to prove knowledge on the part of "the new owner" because a thief cannot convey good title. The stolen phone / iPad remains stolen, no mater how many hands it passes through.

And, anybody buying a used iPhone / iPad ought to be a transferee of warranty with Apple (or, just severance from your Apple ID) - absent that step, the buyer should know the deal is dodgy.
  • Reply 34 of 35

Things like this makes buying something "second hand" feel scary. What if I paid for a device that I though was my own now, and then the previous owner just shits me by blocking the from being used.

• Reply 35 of 35
    well I just spoke with an At&t rep and they say the date has been pushed back with no new date on the horizon!

Rusty Greer: I read that starting today, At&t was starting a blocking service for stolen phones.

Rusty Greer: going with the FCC's april announcement.. I figure this is about right

Shelby McClendon: Before we get started,can I please have the last four digits of the account's holder Social Security number?

Rusty Greer: REMOVED

Shelby McClendon: Thank you.

Shelby McClendon: Please just give me a few minutes while I look into this.

Rusty Greer: thank you

Shelby McClendon: You are welcome.

Shelby McClendon: I have pulled up more information about this situation and the launch date has been pushed back.

Rusty Greer: how far?

Shelby McClendon: It does not say.