Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

Comments

• Reply 101 of 239
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member

Wow! Designers at Samsung must have tiny penises. Compensating much? Silly me, here I thought the iPhone was more than large enough.

• Reply 102 of 239
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    I think you're really reaching if you bring Bluetooth headsets or earbuds into the equation. I use BT earbuds and I love them -- and I also know I'm in a tiny minority of iPhone users in doing so. Apple is not going to modify their flagship product because of the habits of a few technophiles.

They're also not going to turn the iPhone into an iPad Nano. They want to differentiate their iOS offerings just as they differentiate iOS devices from Macs; they don't want them competing too much. Right now, they have a device optimized for one-handed use, which is incredibly portable and easily used as a camera or held up to the ear for voice calls. If they increase the screen size too much, they will essentially have a small iPad, with much the same benefits and drawbacks as the iPad, and they will no longer have any devices to fit the one-handed/small-handed/ultraportable niche. Why on earth would they do that? Someone on the thread mentioned that they'd rather have just one device that was a halfway tradeoff between usability and portability. Well Apple doesn't want you having that one device, they want you to buy two!

Also I can't understand these people who complain about 3.5" iPhone usability. Maybe you guys are farsighted? Have extra fat fingers? Use a lot of websites with heavy graphics that aren't mobile-optimized? Or maybe you're just doing it wrong? iPhones are actually *easier* to use one-handed, maybe you're trying too hard to make it a tablet, pecking away at it when you should be flicking everything with your thumb? Plus, even if they made a 5.5" iPhone it'd only make all the UI elements bigger; it wouldn't change the user interface. It would still be menu after menu after menu, you wouldn't get multiple panes like on the iPad. So I don't see how that would help, again unless you've got the farsighted/fat finger problem.
  • Reply 103 of 239
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Says the market share of 7" tablets.

People might buy an Apple version but it's shortcomings will become apparent after the fact.

There are lots of things people want until they own it.

Oh... so you are able to buy a 7" iOS tablet.

I need the link... my wallet is ready.

• Reply 104 of 239

It amuses me that we will assess a phone based on it's svelteness (I'm very guilty). We will then discuss the usability of the screen size and when is big too big , but when all is said and done you go put the thing in an OTTER BOX anyway. How big is that when you've packaged it in one of those things or any other case for that matter ??

It seems to me that more and more we use blue tooth connections etc etc to talk on the thing but really use it when we are interacting with it as a smart phone and looking at the screen, ergo what's more important to me is it's usability as a smart phone and therefore a bigger screen which will reasonably fit in one of my pockets. 

• Reply 105 of 239

People who have been used to super small devices should really hold back in saying that their device is the ONLY way. There is a reason why phones like these are selling. There are people who want it. I understand some of the Android and Samsung hate, but what Samsung is doing here is providing a device that fits other people's needs as well. I for one find it very easy typing on the note compared to the iPhone we love.

• Reply 106 of 239
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    Oh... so you are able to buy a 7" iOS tablet.

I need the link... my wallet is ready.

There are many 7 inch Android Tablets. Android OS currently owns market share, yet their tablets do not. But even Amazon is now making plans to make a bigger Kindle Fire.

The 7" form factor offers no advantage other than fitting in a purse better. And I just don't see guys carrying a phone in one pocket and a 7" tablet in the other pocket.

It would be a tablet that makes sense for women and kids only.

I do believe people would buy the thing but I just think that they will regret it after the fact.
  • Reply 107 of 239

Quote:

There are many 7 inch Android Tablets. Android OS currently owns market share, yet their tablets do not. But even Amazon is now making plans to make a bigger Kindle Fire.

The 7" form factor offers no advantage other than fitting in a purse better. And I just don't see guys carrying a phone in one pocket and a 7" tablet in the other pocket.

It would be a tablet that makes sense for women and kids only.

I do believe people would buy the thing but I just think that they will regret it after the fact.

Hmmmm... I'm neither a woman or a kid. So you're wrong on that account.

You're making an argument against a product that doesn't exist which sounds vaguely familiar to the arguments I used to hear against the iPad, a market where all others had failed before Apple entered onto the scene.

A larger Note will be the first product that is not an Apple computer that I will seriously consider.

• Reply 108 of 239
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    Current Galaxy Note is not smooth as i products, but if Note 2 is come out with higher specs, 5.5 inch screen and Jelly Bean, Apple should worry about it and actually resume innovating. It would eat tablet and smart phone markets more, IMO.

My wife has had a white Galaxy Note since November last year and that was when she stopped using our ipad 2. I believe it is more like a tablet, and phone capability is a bonus.
  • Reply 109 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Current Galaxy Note is not smooth as i products, but if Note 2 is come out with higher specs, 5.5 inch screen and Jelly Bean, Apple should worry about it and actually resume innovating. It would eat tablet and smart phone markets more, IMO.

My wife has had a white Galaxy Note since November last year and that was when she stopped using our ipad 2. I believe it is more like a tablet, and phone capability is a bonus.

your comment-empasized in bold by me- has been nominated for the stupidest, most ignorant mother f'ing comment ever. You are on a roll, keep it up and you will prevail over the other droid trolls on this site.

• Reply 110 of 239
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    your comment-empasized in bold by me- has been nominated for the stupidest, most ignorant mother f'ing comment ever. You are on a roll, keep it up and you will prevail over the other droid trolls on this site.

Keep your dirty mouth shut, just listen if you are not prepared to actually contribute.

I can't see any real improvement on New IPad apart from screen resolution. In fact, I could hardly see any resolution difference when I compared it with iPad 2.
  • Reply 111 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Keep your dirty mouth shut, just listen if you are not prepared to actually contribute.

I can't see any real improvement on New IPad apart from screen resolution. In fact, I could hardly see any resolution difference when I compared it with iPad 2.

keep your troll mouth shut, you don't contribute anything to discussions at all. I just call trolls out for their behavior thats all

• Reply 112 of 239

Hmmmm... I'm neither a woman or a kid. So you're wrong on that account.

You're making an argument against a product that doesn't exist which sounds vaguely familiar to the arguments I used to hear against the iPad, a market where all others had failed before Apple entered onto the scene.

A larger Note will be the first product that is not an Apple computer that I will seriously consider.

I said people will buy them but eventually you will discover that as a tweener device it will be full of compromises and ultimately it will dissappoint you in the long run. You will find that it doesn't make much sense to take with you everywhere when your new iPhone became larger itself and if you have to throw something in a bag anyways for a trip what is the point.

Like a super car, everyone thinks they want one and would use it until you actually own one and try and drive it daily. Only then do you realize that it isn't at all usefull or even that fun to drive. It is an ego purchase.

I'm just saying that all the "arguments" for buying the device will not pan out in the real world. After a while you will end up NOT taking a iPad nano out with you any more than you would have taken your iPad. It will sit on your coffee table at home next to your iPad.

And if you do take it to dinner, you will end up putting it in your wife's purse and she will quickly become irritated with you.
  • Reply 113 of 239

Quote:

I said people will buy them but eventually you will discover that as a tweener device it will be full of compromises and ultimately it will dissappoint you in the long run. You will find that it doesn't make much sense to take with you everywhere when your new iPhone became larger itself and if you have to throw something in a bag anyways for a trip what is the point.

Like a super car, everyone thinks they want one and would use it until you actually own one and try and drive it daily. Only then do you realize that it isn't at all usefull or even that fun to drive. It is an ego purchase.

I'm just saying that all the "arguments" for buying the device will not pan out in the real world. After a while you will end up NOT taking a iPad nano out with you any more than you would have taken your iPad. It will sit on your coffee table at home next to your iPad.

And if you do take it to dinner, you will end up putting it in your wife's purse and she will quickly become irritated with you.

Oh, now you are way out in left field. People take the 10" iPad with them everywhere. Personally, a smaller iPad would fit my needs. If it was the right size then I would take it everywhere...  the 10", not so much.

Using your argument we'd be without notebook computers. My 13" MBP fits a different need than my 27" iMac. The experience is different on each but it is not disappointing on either.

Basically, you are exactly like the other two guys who are arguing with me against the 7" iPad... you are telling me who I am and what it is that I need. You are telling me that I won't enjoy the experience and that I won't use the device when, in fact, you should be saying that "you" would not enjoy the experience, "you" would give it to your Wife to put it in her purse etc. Myself... I know what I like, I know what I need and it would be nice if Apple provided it.

• Reply 114 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

. Myself... I know what I like, I know what I need and it would be nice if Apple provided it.

According to many, nobody knows what they want or what they need ... until Apple shows it to them.

• Reply 115 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

According to many, nobody knows what they want or what they need ... until Apple shows it to them.

There is that as well.

[ ... and one of my arguments for a 7" iPad, should Apple choose to make one ]

• Reply 116 of 239
    Oh, now you are way out in left field. People take the 10" iPad with them everywhere. Personally, a smaller iPad would fit my needs. If it was the right size then I would take it everywhere...  the 10", not so much.

Using your argument we'd be without notebook computers. My 13" MBP fits a different need than my 27" iMac. The experience is different on each but it is not disappointing on either.

Basically, you are exactly like the other two guys who are arguing with me against the 7" iPad... you are telling me who I am and what it is that I need. You are telling me that I won't enjoy the experience and that I won't use the device when, in fact, you should be saying that "you" would not enjoy the experience, "you" would give it to your Wife to put it in her purse etc. Myself... I know what I like, I know what I need and it would be nice if Apple provided it.

Dude, I said people will buy the thing, you included. Go ahead and buy it. I don't care, just don't tell me it is more portable than the regular iPad because it isn't.

7" iPad
    It won't fit in your pocket. Check
    You wont just walk around with it in your hand. Check
    You will end up putting it in a bag. Check

10" iPad
    You won't just walk around with it in your hand. Check

People bought SUVs too because of the "utility" but never used 60% of its capabilities. And in the end, the things that a you do need to use everyday a minivan does much better. But the truth is you bought the SUV for status, fashion or ego. The SUV doesn't carry anymore people, doesn't have more storage and gets worse gas milage than the minivan.

If you truly NEEDED a smaller form factor you would have purchased one of the many 7" Android tablets. OS shouldn't trump a true necessity if you have really been hampered by the iPads form factor. It's only $200 dude it wouldn't break the bank if you truly need it. Truth is you don't need it, so don't hide behind the OS as an excuse.

Your arguing the need for a iMac or Mac Book Pro is stupid. Two completely different form factors. A Mac Book Air vs a Mac Book Pro is a more logical analogy and in that case one of them you wouldn't "need".
  • Reply 117 of 239

Quote:

Dude, I said people will buy the thing, you included. Go ahead and buy it. I don't care, just don't tell me it is more portable than the regular iPad because it isn't.

7" iPad

You wont just walk around with it in your hand. Check

10" iPad

You won't just walk around with it in your hand. Check

People bought SUVs too because of the "utility" but never used 60% of its capabilities. And in the end, the things that a you do need to use everyday a minivan does much better. But the truth is you bought the SUV for status, fashion or ego. The SUV doesn't carry anymore people, doesn't have more storage and gets worse gas milage than the minivan.

If you truly NEEDED a smaller form factor you would have purchased one of the many 7" Android tablets. OS shouldn't trump a true necessity if you have really been hampered by the iPads form factor. It's only $200 dude it wouldn't break the bank if you truly need it. Truth is you don't need it, so don't hide behind the OS as an excuse.

Your arguing the need for a iMac or Mac Book Pro is stupid. Two completely different form factors. A Mac Book Air vs a Mac Book Pro is a more logical analogy and in that case one of them you wouldn't "need".

Look, Scooter, the difference between 10" and 7" is enough to make a difference to me. ... and, yes, the OS makes a difference to me and I'm not hiding behind anything. I needed a more powerful computer for a long time and finally they started making them. I had to use what was available in the interim. The fact that it wasn't there didn't lessen my need... is that clear enough for you or should I start drawing pictures.

BTW, your analogy is really stupid. It would be closer to a 17" MBP and a 13" MBP. Oh, I know, in your world there should only be one notebook size and there should only be one desktop size. By the way, what color is the sky in your world.

How the f*ck did you guys become so arrogant in your lives. I know how I got there but at least I realize it...

• Reply 118 of 239
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bmason1270 wrote: »

And, once again, your blind assertion doesn't make something true.

A 7" iPad would be half the size of a 10" iPad. That's certainly going to provide some difference in portability.

If not, then why would anyone buy a 13" MBA instead of a 15" MBP? Those two are closer in size than a 7" and 10" iPad. Clearly, the market believes that there's a difference.
  • Reply 119 of 239
    Look, Scooter, the difference between 10" and 7" is enough to make a difference to me. ... and, yes, the OS makes a difference to me and I'm not hiding behind anything.

How the f*ck did you guys become so arrogant in your lives.

Once you start calling names you have lost the argument.

All I hear about the reason for needing a 7" iPad is "It will be more portable". I'm saying that it is not signicantly more portable. Period, end of story.

Will you buy one? Sure, have at it. I'm just saying that it will be a compromised experience. Apple does not like to make compromises. This isn't a iPod Shuffle type of thing where the size difference is a significant feature for not only how it is used but reflected in price as well.

Students will like it I'm sure, but if it maxes out at 32 Gigs then I'm calling boondoggle on it.

So go ahead and buy your SUV and convince yourself you need the ground clearance, the stiffer ride and the banged up doors. Enjoy watching the kids try and climb up into it. If you are objective about it, you'll find that you will be better served by a minivan.

Enjoy the smaller screen, the same iPad portability, the likely less storage and the ultimate question "why am I really bringing this AND my new larger iPhone with me at the same time when they are both close enough in size and they both do the same things?"
  • Reply 120 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bmason1270 wrote: »
    People bought a larger vehicle that they realized they didn't need. That supports Island Hermit's point.

I think the current is popular because of it's ease-of-use but a lot of people are finding that it's more than sufficient (and in many ways better) than their truck PC. For that reason I can see an 8" Apple tablet — I don't want to call it an iPad — being popular. It's still not pocketable, as you point out, but it's certainly more portable. I think it increases many limitations in performance and usability to go smaller but so do notebooks over desktops yet those are the most popular PC sold today.

I don't think an 8" iPad would suit my needs but I can see how it can suit others.

I think the problem here is that you think the OS doesn't matter. Without a decent OS the hardware is irrelevant. RiM couldn't believe the original iPhone was that fluid and smooth. It was and that was key to Apple owning the handset market. Same goes with the tablet market. MS and their OEMs had decades and never understood the fundamental issues.
    The all have a display for the primary output, and a keybaord and mouse/trackpad for the primary input. The fact their form is different has no barring on the OS's UI. The form of the old CRT iMac is different from the first flat-screen iMac with the round base (love that model!) is different from the current design. That doesn't make them fundamental different experiences from the user's PoV.