Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

Comments

• Reply 161 of 239
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    What?

BS

I'm gonna need an actual rebuttal if you want me to continue responding. Apple has 60% of the tablet market (shipped) and something like 90% of the tablet market (used). Anything else is a niche, regardless of the number of units. Percentages show what units cannot.
  • Reply 162 of 239
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

fAndroids equate the size of their smartphones with the hoped-for size of their genitals.  Good for them.  I'm fairly certain they'll be eventually carrying around 7" smartphones while pointing at the iPhone, claiming it is too under-sized for a real man to carry.

• Reply 163 of 239
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member

You guys operate your iPhones with one hand? Gee I could hardly operate my iPod touch with two hands so I gave up on it. It's way, way too small!

And, FYI, my Nook Color 7" tablet will fit in my front pants pocket pretty easily, though I usually remove it when I sit down. An 8" iPad...probably not.

And no, I'm not a woman or child, but keep in mind there are a whole lot of women and children in the world.

• Reply 164 of 239
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    idave wrote: »
    You guys operate your iPhones with one hand? Gee I could hardly operate my iPod touch with two hands so I gave up on it. It's way, way too small!

And, FYI, my Nook Color 7" tablet will fit in my front pants pocket pretty easily, though I usually remove it when I sit down. An 8" iPad...probably not.

And no, I'm not a woman or child, but keep in mind there are a whole lot of women and children in the world.

Try putting your Nook Color in your front jeans pocket.
  • Reply 165 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Backpocket? Sure, I've done it and others have said the same. Front pocket? I'm not going to be the one to say it won't work as I haven't tried (and can't as it's elsewhere for a few days), but I don't see a logical reason to store it there. Sounds like an invitation for damage even if it's possible.

• Reply 166 of 239

Quote:

7-10 million Notes or 5 million? Which is it. You are swinging between 5 million total possible sales here. And you say I'm "all over the map"!

5 Million was as of last March.  7-10 is an estimate.

• Reply 167 of 239
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member

Quote:

Many of us don't wear jeans, especially in the summer. The shorts and pants I wear have deep front pockets, and while it's not so comfortable sitting down with my Nook Color in there, it can be done. Walking around is no problem at all.

My Galaxy Player 5.0 will fit comfortably in any pocket, as would a Galaxy Note phone, which was the topic of this thread.

To each their own.

• Reply 168 of 239
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

The Note is probably the most obnoxious phone I have ever had the misfortune of holding. And now it will be even bigger... Yay?

I personally think it's a great alternative to those tourists in NYC walking around with iPads taking photos - which I find the most obnoxious.

• Reply 169 of 239
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

This is exactly what I want.. I'm going to skip Samsung's new Galaxy S3 and Apple's iPhone 5 and go straight to the Note 2.

• Reply 170 of 239
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

5 Million was as of last March.  7-10 is an estimate.

Exactly.

Thank you.

To an astute person with any form of comprehension my figures would seem reasonable.

• Reply 171 of 239
    Exactly.

Thank you.

To an astute person with any form of comprehension my figures would seem reasonable.

As compared to 37 million iPhones sold in the first quarter of 2012. Any reasonably astute person can comprehend that while nice numbers, the Note is still a Niche market. Even factoring in Samsungs 45 million shipped smart phones in the second quarter the Note likely isn't even Samsung's best moving phone. By all accounts they are likely surprised that it has moved 5 million.

Samsung shipped 2 Million tablets, of which they have a few in that HOT 7" inch category.

Again, Samsung is making products based soley on the Goldielocks principle and this traditionally is not Apple's approach.

Eventually phone sizes will settle down and stop being a selling point. Apple, I'm sure will let other manufacturers waste time finding the sweet spots.
  • Reply 172 of 239
    idave wrote: »

Many of us don't wear jeans, especially in the summer. The shorts and pants I wear have deep front pockets, and while it's not so comfortable sitting down with my Nook Color in there, it can be done. Walking around is no problem at all.

My Galaxy Player 5.0 will fit comfortably in any pocket, as would a Galaxy Note phone, which was the topic of this thread.

To each their own.

And in the winter when you can't wear your cargo shorts? When you have to think about what pants to wear in order to take your 7" tablet with you, you have lost the argument. Many, many people do wear jeans.
  • Reply 173 of 239

Me thinks there will be a few people who will go into an apoplectic fit if Apple introduces a 7" tablet.

• Reply 174 of 239
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Me thinks there will be a few people who will go into an apoplectic fit if Apple introduces a 7" tablet.

No, but I have a GIF lined up for just such an occasion.
  • Reply 175 of 239

LOL why would anyone be upset over it? That is just a ridiculous comment and assumption.

I know I see little reason or justification that I would buy one. But I will laugh at those who are hoping for it because they think they will slip it into their front pant pocket because it is so world changingly portable.
  • Reply 176 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, but I have a GIF lined up for just such an occasion.

I bet you do.

• Reply 177 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bmason1270 wrote: »
    As compared to 37 million iPhones sold in the first quarter of 2012. Any reasonably astute person can comprehend that while nice numbers, the Note is still a Niche market. Even factoring in Samsungs 45 million shipped smart phones in the second quarter the Note likely isn't even Samsung's best moving phone. By all accounts they are likely surprised that it has moved 5 million.

7 million units un under a year with less than 6 months n the US market for a single product that costs around $550 has to be one of the highest selling and fastest selling CEs on the market. Even if it was a product I understood I'd still be impressed by those numbers.
  • Reply 178 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

As compared to 37 million iPhones sold in the first quarter of 2012. . . 

Eventually phone sizes will settle down and stop being a selling point. Apple, I'm sure will let other manufacturers waste time finding the sweet spots.

I'm surprised that you might think they didn't already find the sweet spot with no need to change or add any other size. I mean 37 million iPhones sold. . .

• Reply 179 of 239
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Using that ringtone was included on a list I read once of "ways to tell if you are a geezer."  
    Seemed apt to me.  

<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;">:-)  </p>

The only other one I remember is that holding the iPhone with one hand, while poking at it with a single extended index finger from the other (especially if you have to look over your spectacles to do so), is considered to make you similarly "geezerish."  

Huh. I type like that often, faster and less mistakes than typing with the thumb of holding hand.

Geez... I'm getting old.

But I don't admit "over the specs" look... yet :-)
  • Reply 180 of 239
    solipsismx wrote: »
    7 million units un under a year with less than 6 months n the US market for a single product that costs around $550 has to be one of the highest selling and fastest selling CEs on the market. Even if it was a product I understood I'd still be impressed by those numbers.

They are nice numbers but they are numbers that are "shipped", not sold. I have yet to actually see one "in the wild". By contrast I have seen more Fisker Karmas, which cost $90,000, the last few weeks than I have ever seen a Galaxy Note. The numbers bear out and anecdotal experience says this is a "niche" product.

Again, niche products can be successful but it isn't a mainstream success or even a household name.

Can we agree on that?

And besides my only reason for discussing the Galaxy Note is that I believe it to be probably the best compromise between a Tablet and a phone. I believe it's form factor is about as big as you can get and still offer true portability without the need for a second device. And as good as it is, it is still crazy huge for a phone. But, I believe people don't use their phones a phones as much anymore. But I'd find my "RunKeeper" app to be pretty prohibitive with a Galaxy Note.