Itunes freezes when exporting images to ipad

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

Hi

I am trying to epxort photos from an XP sp3 (fresh install) to an new iPad.

itunes, gets as far as analysisng the images, then the folders show up on the ipad. As the import continues itunes hogs 99% of the cpu (rendering the machine unusable). After some time the folders (never populated) disappear from the ipad even though itunes reports that the ipad has 2760 photos (approx 2.2gb).

itunes has just been downloaded so it is the current version.

itunes doesn't report any problems and the images are not raw or terribly large.

Any suggestions

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Btw pc reboots etc make no difference

• Reply 2 of 11

I decided to have another go.

If I do smaller batches of 500 at a time they seem to transfer. Thus far 100 photos have taken about 10 minutes but at least they are now showing up in the folders.

Why is it so piggingly slow? is Itunes resizing them on the fly? If yes are there any third party programs that will eliminate the need for itunes to resize. At this rate it will take a hole day to put a couple of gigs of photos on the ipad.

Alternatively are there any faster methods. This is my mothers ipad and in the event that she ever has to restore i don't want to have to repeat the process again.

TNX 

• Reply 3 of 11

Ok, that was a (partial) waste of time.

The first 500 pictures went ok, then I added a few more folders, about 700 new images. It fialed but at least itunes gave me some feedback- the sync was interupted (or words to that effect- I made the mistake of de-selecting one of the larger folders before writing down the error).

It is working if I keep the batches very small (typically less than 200mb).

• Reply 4 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    hungover wrote: »
    Why is it so piggingly slow? is Itunes resizing them on the fly? If yes are there any third party programs that will eliminate the need for itunes to resize.

It converts pictures to ithmb format, you see these in a folder called "ipod photo cache". It should only do this once if the cache is left in place but it is a slow process and wastes far too much space. It might be a single-threaded process.
    Alternatively are there any faster methods. This is my mothers ipad and in the event that she ever has to restore i don't want to have to repeat the process again.

It's a good idea to compress the photos if they aren't already but you can put them on directly using an SD card and the camera kit (there are cheaper 3rd party kits) or via a server. There are apps to connect to a server like FTP and the photos can be copied directly from there into the photos app.
  • Reply 5 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It converts pictures to ithmb format, you see these in a folder called "ipod photo cache". It should only do this once if the cache is left in place but it is a slow process and wastes far too much space. It might be a single-threaded process.

It's a good idea to compress the photos if they aren't already but you can put them on directly using an SD card and the camera kit (there are cheaper 3rd party kits) or via a server. There are apps to connect to a server like FTP and the photos can be copied directly from there into the photos app.

Thanks Marvin

I did see the cache, I shall suggest that she leaves it alone.

In the end, after about 5 hours I had managed to transfer about 1.5 gb via iTunes. If I go for the SD card/kit option will I be able to transfer them in minutes, ie. will it be as quick as one would expect when transferring flash memory under file explorer?

The pictures are already JPEGs, I am guessing that you are not suggesting that I try to compress them any further.

Once again, thanks for your help.

• Reply 6 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    In the end, after about 5 hours I had managed to transfer about 1.5 gb via iTunes. If I go for the SD card/kit option will I be able to transfer them in minutes, ie. will it be as quick as one would expect when transferring flash memory under file explorer?

It should be much faster. There are import times on the following sites:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4225/the-ipad-2-review/14
    http://micgadget.com/24789/review-all-in-one-card-reader-for-ipad/

The time is higher for photos above 19MPixel but standard files went over at around 5MB/s. Your whole 2.2GB import should take less than 10 minutes.

You have to create a DCIM folder manually on the card if you don't use an SD card from a camera. You might also have to batch rename the photos but there are applications to do this easily and they might just work.
    The pictures are already JPEGs, I am guessing that you are not suggesting that I try to compress them any further.

Your photos should be ok. The smaller the are, the faster they will transfer and load when viewing them but 2.2GB for 2760 is fine.
  • Reply 7 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It should be much faster. There are import times on the following sites:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4225/the-ipad-2-review/14

http://micgadget.com/24789/review-all-in-one-card-reader-for-ipad/

The time is higher for photos above 19MPixel but standard files went over at around 5MB/s. Your whole 2.2GB import should take less than 10 minutes.

You have to create a DCIM folder manually on the card if you don't use an SD card from a camera. You might also have to batch rename the photos but there are applications to do this easily and they might just work.

Your photos should be ok. The smaller the are, the faster they will transfer and load when viewing them but 2.2GB for 2760 is fine.

You're a star tnx.

• Reply 8 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

If I do smaller batches of 500 at a time they seem to transfer. Thus far 100 photos have taken about 10 minutes but at least they are now showing up in the folders.

Why is it so piggingly slow? is Itunes resizing them on the fly? If yes are there any third party programs that will eliminate the need for itunes to resize. At this rate it will take a hole day to put a couple of gigs of photos on the ipad.

TNX 

Do you know how slow is iTunes in such things. Its a good program but if you go for massive file transfer then it is more than what iTunes is build for. Of course it should be capable to do the complete process at one time , i mean why don't it works up to that level. you are just trying with 2.2 GB, if you try to do it with 8 or 16 GB amount of data then considering the past, it must be crashed after few minutes and you might loose data which was in use while the process was going on. Apple should fix such troubles so that iTunes become the complete solution but it did not happened yet and who know when itunes becomes so much capable but i know there are third party ipad file transfer program available that can do this process several times faster than iTunes. you should try this iPad File Transfer program if nothing else works. have a look here: http://www.ipadfiletransfer.com

hope u get some help here.

• Reply 9 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

TNX 

Do you know how slow is iTunes in such things. Its a good program but if you go for massive file transfer then it is more than what iTunes is build for. Of course it should be capable to do the complete process at one time , i mean why don't it works up to that level. you are just trying with 2.2 GB, if you try to do it with 8 or 16 GB amount of data then considering the past, it must be crashed after few minutes and you might loose data which was in use while the process was going on. Apple should fix such troubles so that iTunes become the complete solution but it did not happened yet and who know when itunes becomes so much capable but i know there are third party ipad file transfer program available that can do this process several times faster than iTunes. you should try this iPad File Transfer program if nothing else works. have a look here: http://www.ipadfiletransfer.com

hope u get some help here.

• Reply 10 of 11

Do you know how slow is iTunes in such things. Its a good program but if you go for massive file transfer then it is more than what iTunes is build for. Of course it should be capable to do the complete process at one time , i mean why don't it works up to that level. you are just trying with 2.2 GB, if you try to do it with 8 or 16 GB amount of data then considering the past, it must be crashed after few minutes and you might loose data which was in use while the process was going on. Apple should fix such troubles so that iTunes become the complete solution but it did not happened yet and who know when itunes becomes so much capable but i know there are third party ipad file transfer program available that can do this process several times faster than iTunes. you should try this iPad File Transfer program if nothing else works. hope u get some help here.
  • Reply 11 of 11

even if itunes is so advance but still such small problems persists. I wish apple understand the problem of people and relese better and faster iTunes versions so that no problem appears any more.