Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

Comments

• Reply 181 of 239
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'm surprised that you might think they didn't already find the sweet spot with no need to change or add any other size. I mean 37 million iPhones sold. . .

They found the sweet spot that the best available technology allowed them to profitably build.
  • Reply 182 of 239
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    bmason1270 wrote: »
    A 7" tablet isn't significantly more portable than an iPad. It would sell to women and perhaps students. But the truth is, you would still need a bag. You are not just gonna carry it and it won't fit in your pocket. And since it isn't a phone you don't need to have it with you.
    But I really don't think a seven inch tablet would offer such an improvement in user experience that people would feel compelled to take both a tablet and their phone.
    It still isn't a device to carry around casually. And by that standard NO, it isn't really more portable than a iPad currently is.

But it is. I had original Nook Colour for a while. Completely average device, but I could fit it in coat and some of my jackets pockets. Also in small over-the-shoulder bag I carry on occasion. No 10" tablet would fit in any of those.
  • Reply 183 of 239
    nikon133 wrote: »
    But it is. I had original Nook Colour for a while. Completely average device, but I could fit it in coat and some of my jackets pockets. Also in small over-the-shoulder bag I carry on occasion. No 10" tablet would fit in any of those.

The only reason it fits is because of its aspect ratio. If the iPad maintains its current aspect ratio down to 7 inches it will not fit in your pocket. So in the end you either needed a coat, jacket or a bag. That Has been my point all along.

Can it fit in your (now I must state specifically) pants pocket?
    Would you just carry it around in your hand?
    Would you need a bag to take it with you?

I have a small over the shoulder bag that fits my iPad, a pico projector and every conceivable cable I'll ever need. Try again on the bag argument. That is just obsurred that a iPad doesn't fit in a over the shoulder bag.
  • Reply 184 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    And in the winter when you can't wear your cargo shorts? When you have to think about what pants to wear in order to take your 7" tablet with you, you have lost the argument. Many, many people do wear jeans.

Do you ever carry a tablet around? Do you think you might you might increasingly carry a tablet around to the point that you always have it with you? Would that mean that you carry a tablet and a phone around everywhere? It seems to me that the phone would be superfluous. Just using a wireless headset and a tablet with phone circuitry & software eliminates the need for a separate phone, so instead of having a phone and a tablet, you just have the tablet. Whether the phone fits in a pocket doesn't matter anymore, because you don't need it, and you're carrying a tablet with you anyway, instead of a phone in the pocket and carrying a tablet.
  • Reply 185 of 239
    Duplicate
  • Reply 186 of 239
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Do you ever carry a tablet around? Do you think you might you might increasingly carry a tablet around to the point that you always have it with you? Would that mean that you carry a tablet and a phone around everywhere? It seems to me that the phone would be superfluous. Just using a wireless headset and a tablet with phone circuitry & software eliminates the need for a separate phone.

I carry a tablet around when i feel I might "need" it, period. It's size is not prohibitive to portability in this regards. But it's size is what is the advantage in my deciding it's need. I.E. productivity or media consumption. In all other instances the iPhone meets my portable needs. I would not find productivity or media consumption to be improved by a seven inch device and in truth I believe it would be compromised, especially considering the same level of real world effort to bring the "smaller" tablet with me in the first place.

But in regards to the tablet replacing my phone? To do so it must fit in my pants front pocket . I always need to wear pants of some sort. I don't always need to take a bag or wear a jacket. So if I have to adjust my and think about what I wear just to take my tablet? That is just crazy.

Again, I must state, a seven inch iPad would sell. I can see its uses, but the "mainstream" benefits just aren't impressive and I think most folks would chose the larger.
    I could see it as a great Nav device. Professional photographers would find it usefull, but will be burned by limited storage. It is just a niche device chuck full of compromise.
  • Reply 187 of 239
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

7 million units un under a year with less than 6 months n the US market for a single product that costs around $550 has to be one of the highest selling and fastest selling CEs on the market. Even if it was a product I understood I'd still be impressed by those numbers.

The numbers make me feel as if the Note has crossed over from being a niche product to a mainstream product... if not in the west then in Asia. I think this is why Samsung is pursuing the Note as if it is in its own category. If the larger Note sells even better than the original Note then we'll know for sure that it has crossed into general mainstream use. I was reading an article where Samsung wants to turn the stylus into a headset. Well, at least it is one area where Samsung is not copying Apple. If it had iOS I'd buy the larger one in a heartbeat... as it is I'll just wait to see what Apple is offering later this year.

• Reply 188 of 239
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

And in the winter when you can't wear your cargo shorts? When you have to think about what pants to wear in order to take your 7" tablet with you, you have lost the argument. Many, many people do wear jeans.

And many people use iPads. I don't care. I don't want one.

You would tell me what kind of pants I should wear and what device I should use, for the sake of argument.

I have no doubt the Galaxy Note would fit in any pocket I have available. I don't know how this thread devolved into a discussion of the merits of 7" tablets.

• Reply 189 of 239
    The numbers make me feel as if the Note has crossed over from being a niche product to a mainstream product... if not in the west then in Asia. I think this is why Samsung is pursuing the Note as if it is in its own category. If the larger Note sells even better than the original Note then we'll know for sure that it has crossed into general mainstream use. I was reading an article where Samsung wants to turn the stylus into a headset. Well, at least it is one area where Samsung is not copying Apple. If it had iOS I'd buy the larger one in a heartbeat... as it is I'll just wait to see what Apple is offering later this year.

I agree it is successful, but it is not mainstream. We are starting to enter a phase where productivity and business needs are creeping back into the smart phone race again.

Blackberry is on the ropes and most smart phones after the iPhone were/are targeted to consumers. While obviously popular, as screens started to get a little larger the productivity shortcomings of phones like the iPhone are more readily apparent.

The Note obviously fills the business productivity need. What the hell else is the stylus for anyways? Angry Birds?

But that does not make a 5 inch screen a universal need for average consumers. By that logic is why I say the Note is niche and not mainstream.

Stop arguing its success because I have not denied the success of the Note. But don't be fooled to believe that the Note is ever going to touch 37 million sales in any quarter if a year.
  • Reply 190 of 239
    idave wrote: »

You would tell me what kind of pants I should wear and what device I should use, for the sake of argument.

I have no doubt the Galaxy Note would fit in any pocket I have available. I don't know how this thread devolved into a discussion of the merits of 7" tablets.

I have said that the Note is the maximum size of true portability. What is your point?
  • Reply 191 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDave View Post

The Galaxy Note does fit into almost every pocket... excluding, of course, the watch pocket on jeans. I'm waiting to see if the new 5.5" model will still fit nicely in a shirt pocket.

The devolution of this thread into discussion of 7" models isn't anywhere close to the discussion of the "Americas" in another thread.

• Reply 192 of 239
    The Galaxy Note does fit into almost every pocket... excluding, of course, the watch pocket on jeans. I'm waiting to see if the new 5.5" model will still fit nicely in a shirt pocket.

The devolution of this thread into discussion of 7" models isn't anywhere close to the discussion of the "Americas" in another thread.

I believe someone in the thread stated that the case will remain roughly the same size, only the screen will increase. So if no net change, then super.
  • Reply 193 of 239
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I have said that the Note is the maximum size of true portability. What is your point?

I guess the point is that I'm not aware of any United Nations decision that made you the ultimate authority on portability. There is no such thing as a maximum size for true portability. For LeBron James, it might be 6" or even 7". For Kristen Chenoweth, it might be 4".

Why is it that different people can't have a different opinion? Personally, I think 5.5" is far too large for a phone, but others think it's OK. The ultimate answer is that the market will sort it out. If the number of people who like a 5.5" phone is large enough, then the Note will be a success. If the number is too small, it will fail. Similarly, many people obviously are happy with a smaller phone. The iPhone is only 3.5" but still have the highest customer satisfaction ratings and customer retention rates - as well as the greatest sales for an individual phone.

In the end, it's the same as the 7-8" iPad discussion. The fact is that different people have different needs. You may personally think that a 10" iPad is perfect and anything smaller is a disaster, but others are entitled to their own opinions, as well. Personally, I believe that there's a place for several different sizes of iPads just as there's a place for the market to have both 3.5" and 5.5" phones. Customer needs vary by a huge amount.
  • Reply 194 of 239
    jragosta wrote: »
    I guess the point is that I'm not aware of any United Nations decision that made you the ultimate authority on portability. There is no such thing as a maximum size for true portability. For LeBron James, it might be 6" or even 7". For Kristen Chenoweth, it might be 4".
    Why is it that different people can't have a different opinion? Personally, I think 5.5" is far too large for a phone, but others think it's OK. The ultimate answer is that the market will sort it out. If the number of people who like a 5.5" phone is large enough, then the Note will be a success. If the number is too small, it will fail. Similarly, many people obviously are happy with a smaller phone. The iPhone is only 3.5" but still have the highest customer satisfaction ratings and customer retention rates - as well as the greatest sales for an individual phone.
    In the end, it's the same as the 7-8" iPad discussion. The fact is that different people have different needs. You may personally think that a 10" iPad is perfect and anything smaller is a disaster, but others are entitled to their own opinions, as well. Personally, I believe that there's a place for several different sizes of iPads just as there's a place for the market to have both 3.5" and 5.5" phones. Customer needs vary by a huge amount.

Im not the world authority but It is common sense. Most people would reasonably be able to take a Galaxy Note with them regardless of circumstance. It can fit in most pockets, no guarantee, but most likely it will.

The debate I have been involved in is in regard to a 7" iPad. I personally believe it is nothing more than a Goldielocks device that Apple would be foolish to chase.

It is unlikely that after the next generation iPhone is released that Apple will continue making the current size beyon the next generations refresh a year after it is released.

So while the market will have sizes ranging from 3.5" and 5.5" phones Apple will sit with one eventual device in the middle of the two sizes.
  • Reply 195 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The fact is that different people have different needs. You may personally think that a 10" iPad is perfect and anything smaller is a disaster, but others are entitled to their own opinions, as well. Personally, I believe that there's a place for several different sizes of iPads just as there's a place for the market to have both 3.5" and 5.5" phones. Customer needs vary by a huge amount.

You have this all wrong. We obviously have an "authority on everything" in this thread. Do not argue. Do not resist. Resistance is futile.

[Apparently, even Apple is stupid if they bring out a 7" iWhatever... so what hope do you have in arguing for a smaller size or what is or is not portable]

• Reply 196 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    They are nice numbers but they are numbers that are "shipped", not sold.

Sure, but Samsung et al. don't have enough of their own stores and retailers don't have a good enough system in place to get an exact sell through number but based on Amazon's sales, the 8 months duration and increasing unit sales figures it's infeasible to think this is some Bond villain-level channel stuffing operation. Regardless of how many are still in the channel they are selling of the most popular CE devices in the $500 price range.

Besides my previous comment about me not understanding this device it's also doing some unique things that make it very unique from any current Apple product. I'd guessing Apple not going after this popular device at this point means it's not infringing on Apple's IP... for once. More power to Samsung I say. I'll never buy the Note but I give credit for making a widely successful CE device, at least for the first year of sales. We'll see how the 2nd model starts off next month.
    I have yet to actually see one "in the wild".

Anecdotally information has its place but it shouldn't be used as the primary source for determining fact. It's much like Wikipedia in that sense.
  • Reply 197 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure, but Samsung et al. don't have enough of their own stores and retailers don't have a good enough system in place to get an exact sell through number but based on Amazon's sales, the 8 months duration and increasing unit sales figures it's infeasible to think this is some Bond villain-level channel stuffing operation. Regardless of how many are still in the channel they are selling of the most popular CE devices in the $500 price range.

Besides my previous comment about me not understanding this device it's also doing some unique things that make it very unique from any current Apple product. I'd guessing Apple not going after this popular device at this point means it's not infringing on Apple's IP... for once. More power to Samsung I say. I'll never buy the Note but I give credit for making a widely successful CE device, at least for the first year of sales. We'll see how the 2nd model starts off next month.

One unique thing is that the Note uses a capacitive touchscreen rather than pressure sensitive resistive touchscreen, which makes it a touch based device in the same sense as every other device on the market. While some tend to point out the stylus in a derogatory manner, I see it as a positive. You don't have to use it if you don't want to use it. It's in addition to, and not a restrictive add-on. Highlighting the fact that the Note has a stylus as an argument that it is a niche product is just stupid. The Note is a product category unto itself and is meant for everyone. Someone like myself can find a use for all the features; stylus, tablet, phone.... but others might use it just as a small tablet while others might use it for both a phone and a tablet. It's obvious by the numbers that the Note has crossed or is crossing into mass market territory.

As you say, though, let's see what the happens with the 5.5" device.

• Reply 198 of 239
    One unique thing is that the Note uses a capacitive touchscreen rather than pressure sensitive resistive touchscreen, which makes it a touch based device in the same sense as every other device on the market. While some tend to point out the stylus in a derogatory manner, I see it as a positive. You don't have to use it if you don't want to use it. It's in addition to, and not a restrictive add-on. Highlighting the fact that the Note has a stylus as an argument that it is a niche product is just stupid. The Note is a product category unto itself and is meant for everyone. Someone like myself can find a use for all the features; stylus, tablet, phone.... but others might use it just as a small tablet while others might use it for both a phone and a tablet. It's obvious by the numbers that the Note has crossed or is crossing into mass market territory.

As you say, though, let's see what the happens with the 5.5" device.

That's one of the great things about this device; the capacitance touchscreen paired with a Wacom digitizer. I've been hoping for years (since before the iPad was announced) that Apple would find a way to incorporate that into their devices and expect that eventually they will. This would be a great fit for the iPad. Not something that has a built-in pen or requires a pen but something that could a 3rd-party digitizer pen for those specific apps where it makes sense.

The other great thing about the Note is that Samsung didn't just add the HW, advertise it, then call it a day. Samsung actually created APIs so that developers can make apps specifically to take advantage of the digitizer. This seems obvious from perspective of the Apple camp but this hasn't always been the case from the Android camp. A few months ago they released 2.0 of their S-Pen SDK.
  • Reply 199 of 239
    You have this all wrong. We obviously have an "authority on everything" in this thread. Do not argue. Do not resist. Resistance is futile.

[Apparently, even Apple is stupid if they bring out a 7" iWhatever... so what hope do you have in arguing for a smaller size or what is or is not portable]

I have defined several times what I believe is real world, real everyday use portability is. You have failed to counter it with either a fact to the contrary or your own definition. I have also agreed, that by my own definition of real world portability that the Galaxy Note fits that profile, but is likely at the very threshold of it.

While the Note is successful it is a Niche product that I don't think is a true Everyman/woman's product. This could be for several reasons but among them are the size is either appealing or distracting. But in either event, outside of its stylus, useful as it is, a buyer is only purchasing it because of its size. Those that are NOT purchasing it are also quite possibly doing so, shockingly, based it's size. The size makes it a polarizing decision which, in and of itself makes it niche. But the fact that it is also a phone allows it to eliminate the "need" for a tablet. Samsung found a useful middle ground. But considering that they have shipped only 2 million tablets, they had nothing to lose or dillute product wise. Regardless, within the same period of time, between both Apple and Samsung, nearly 80 million more phones sold or shipped that were smaller than 5 inches. That tells me that a phone that big, as good as it is, is not universally desired.

I simply disagree that a SEVEN INCH IPAD is significantly more portable. Would one sell? Probably. I only say that to most guys, you will not find it more portable. That is all. Get over it. Combine the fact that it is NOT a phone, you have gained nothing. You are still lugging two devices.

If you answer this question and this question alone you will see the reason what I'm on about. Will a seven inch iPad fit in the fron pocket of ALL variety of pants?
  • Reply 200 of 239
    I have defined several times what I believe is real world, real everyday use portability is. You have failed to counter it with either a fact to the contrary or your own definition. I have also agreed, that by my own definition of real world portability that the Galaxy Note fits that profile, but is likely at the very threshold of it.
    While the Note is successful it is a Niche product that I don't think is a true Everyman/woman's product. This could be for several reasons but among them are the size is either appealing or distracting. But in either event, outside of its stylus, useful as it is, a buyer is only purchasing it because of its size. Toes NOT purchasing it are also quite possibly doing so based it's size. But the fact hat it is also a phone allows it to eliminate the "need" for a tablet. Samsung found a useful middle ground. But considering that they have shipped only 2 million tablets, they had nothing to lose or dillute product wise.
    I simply disagree that a SEVEN INCH IPAD is significantly more portable. Would one sell? Probably. I only say that to most guys, you will not find it more portable. Hat is all. Get over it. Combine the fact hat it is NOT a tablet, you have gained nothing. You are still lugging two devices.
    If you answer this question and this question alone you will see the reason what I'm on about. Will a seven inch iPad fit in the fron pocket of ALL variety of pants?

I disagree. I don't think that one of the fastest and highest selling models of portable devices can be defined as a niche product. I would say that a 5.5" phone/tablet device is a niche product category. The difference being that in one category you have the $500-range 5" Note is being compared to all specific products in terms of unit sales, and in the other category you have a 5" device being compared to all portable device classes.