Rumor: 7-inch iPad to be produced in Brazil for fall launch

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Depends on which "sub-division" you're using… there are, apparently, different, equally legitimate schools of thought on the matter...

such as:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LocationNSAm3.png

That's a particularly bad example.  Here's the description attached to that image: 

Description

Division of the Americas into North, Middle and South America.

So 

So Mexico through Panama (and maybe Venezuela--it's a really vague diagram) are part of "Middle America?"  And here I thought middle America referred to salt-of-the-Earth old-fashioned USAers.
  • Reply 122 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Depends on which "sub-division" you're using… there are, apparently, different, equally legitimate schools of thought on the matter…

None of which considers a definition of North America different from the one I mentioned earlier, however.
  • Reply 123 of 167
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member

Dudes- "God Bless America" does not mean God Bless Peru!

• Reply 124 of 167
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

if this is true, it would be seriously cutting into samsung's profits.

think about it. samsung can't sue apple for design infringement because it'll just be a mini iPad. people will purchase this over samsung because apple already has a reputation for kick-ass integration hardware/software. so if it takes away profits from samsung and android, i'm all for it.

• Reply 125 of 167
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is even more absurd! Have you ever played quest-style video game? Did you rediscover solutions to puzzles or did you simply discover them? You certainly weren't the first to find them. Even if you were first among your friends you still weren't the first. Same goes for Columbus finding the land masses known as North and South America. They were unknown to that part of Europe at the time so it's a discovery. Plain and simple.

America is not a continent! North America is a continent, South America is a continent, and Central America is a subcontinental region of North America. For your comment to make sense it has to be plural to refer to the American continents. This stuff is not up for debate!

PS: No man is an island, except maybe Australians.

That's why I put the (re) before the discover. Can't you read?

America is a continent in the 4 and 5-contient model one of the two 6-continent models ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent#Number_of_continents / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_(continent) ).

Do not confuse with tectonic plates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lief Ericson. But that was Newfoundland and your point is moot anyway.

As is yours, by virtue of the fact that "American" is the demonym for one country and one country alone. If you want to change that, start a global petition and have the UN deem it disallowed.

But I hope you realize that even if that happens, we're still calling ourselves Americans.

Brazilians, Mexicans, etc are Americans too. It's just that it would be easier for everyone if there were another name for the people from the USA. That way there would be no confusion between Americans from America and Americans from the States.

• Reply 126 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    heffeque wrote: »
    Brazilians, Mexicans, etc are Americans too. It's just that it would be easier for everyone if there were another name for the people from the USA. That way there would be no confusion between Americans from America and Americans from the States.

It would be easier if there was only one noun gender in German. Sie beklagen sich nicht.

"American" is our demonym. You want it changed, petition the UN to make it unrecognized. Good luck.
  • Reply 127 of 167

While it seems fashionable to report rumors ... here's a key question.

Why would Apple even want to offer a smaller screen that is even more challenging to type on with the virtual screen... Just because Amazon and Google are offering something in the smaller format?

Look at true costs, all the extra parts, the marketing, etc.  Apple is scheduled to bring forth the iPhone 5 ... why impact that introduction with a non-profitable product like a 7" tablet that the media thinks should match what Amazon and Google will be giving away.  Apple makes profit on better products ... not marching to the tune of wanna be tablet producers.

Improved software in the app format will sell more iPads 9.7" size ... not the dwarf many are writing about.  Apple just introduced the incredible Retina Screen on the 3rd generation iPad.  They're not going to jeopardize the growing interesting in iPad 9.7" format.

If you want smaller ... you have iPhone 4 and 4s.

Guess all you want ... this is not going to happen IMHO

• Reply 128 of 167
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

As if anybody is ever going to mistake a person belonging to a third world country as being American, lol. That's the funniest shit that I've read all day.

• Reply 129 of 167
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

As if anybody is ever going to mistake a person belonging to a third world country as being American, lol. That's the funniest shit that I've read all day.

On the other hand, it's this exact kind of smug attitude that created this thread in the first place, derailing a perfectly a good story about the iPad mini.  

-----------------------

This whole discussion can be boiled down to:

OP - "Isn't it a tiny bit rude how US citizens co-opt the word 'America' as if it belonged only to them, and that they are the only true Americans?" 

Everyone else - "Yeah!"

The "Americans" - "No Way! (and f*ck you for saying so!)"

• Reply 130 of 167
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

Except there is no confusion, unless you cause it deliberately.

I wonder who the hell asked for a friggin history lesson. 

No one. 

"America" refers to the USA. You can get as technical and anal as you like about it, but your ignorance will be REALLY apparent when you don't understand the common use of the term. And it is ENTIRELY correct.

It's a very easy distinction for everyone else to make, so refusal to do it is simply done for the sake of causing an argument. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

Brazilians, Mexicans, etc are Americans too. 

We don't call them Americans. Your mom doesn't call them Americans. Your friends don't call them Americans. We use labels for the purpose of telling everyone apart. Just makes life easier. 

Incidentally, in case you hadn't noticed, they are called BRAZILIANS and MEXICANS, respectively (that is, according to the countries in which they live.)

There is officially "North America" and "South America." Mexico is part of North America. Sometimes we like to use the term "Central America", but that is colloquial. It doesn't officially exist. Sometimes we like to use the term "Americas" to refer to everyone and their dog all the way North and all the way South (and *really* South) of the Mason-Dixon. That's fine, but that term too, is casual. To keep things simple, we understand the continents the way we do now, we understand Mexico's location in the continental scheme of things the way we do now, and we call Brazilians and Mexicans . . .  Brazilians and Mexicans. Not "Americans." 

Pretty easy, isn't it?  Problem solved. Glad I could help.  Now do you have anything remotely relevant to say about iPads being made in BRAZIL?

• Reply 131 of 167
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

On the other hand, it's this exact kind of smug attitude that created this thread in the first place, derailing a perfectly a good story about the iPad mini.  

Well, as far as I'm concerned, if these third worlders and ignorant historical revisionists are trying to change the definition of what an American is, then I am quite happy to define what they are, and I will have to draw up new maps, where every country south of the border will simply be labelled as crapistan 1, crapistan 2 etc.. That sounds fair to me. And their residents will be known as crapistanians from now on.

• Reply 132 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    We don't call them Americans. Your mom doesn't call them Americans. Your friends don't call them Americans. We use labels for the purpose of telling everyone apart. Just makes life easier. 

Incidentally, in case you hadn't noticed, they are called BRAZILIANS and MEXICANS, respectively (that is, according to the countries in which they live.)

There is officially "North America" and "South America." Mexico is part of North America. Sometimes we like to use the term "Central America", but that is colloquial. It doesn't officially exist. Sometimes we like to use the term "Americas" to refer to everyone and their dog all the way North and all the way South (and *really* South) of the Mason-Dixon. That's fine, but that term too, is casual. To keep things simple, we understand the continents the way we do now, we understand Mexico's location in the continental scheme of things the way we do now, and we call Brazilians and Mexicans . . .  Brazilians and Mexicans. Not "Americans." 

Pretty easy, isn't it?  Problem solved. Glad I could help.  Now do you have anything remotely relevant to say about iPads being made in BRAZIL?

The fact that he calls them Brazilians and Mexicans completely pops his own unbelievably weak argument that they are more commonly referred to a grouping of two continents referred to as a single entity and that the only country with the word America in it should never have its people be referred to as Americans.

PS: It's funny that he doesn't once reference Brasil (República Federativa do Brasil) or the United Mexican States (Estados Unidos Mexicanos) — another country with United States in their official name — since he's pretending to be so keen on only using the terminology that is common among the people of those countries.
  • Reply 133 of 167
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

While it seems fashionable to report rumors ... here's a key question.

Why would Apple even want to offer a smaller screen that is even more challenging to type on with the virtual screen... Just because Amazon and Google are offering something in the smaller format?

Look at true costs, all the extra parts, the marketing, etc.  Apple is scheduled to bring forth the iPhone 5 ... why impact that introduction with a non-profitable product like a 7" tablet that the media thinks should match what Amazon and Google will be giving away.  Apple makes profit on better products ... not marching to the tune of wanna be tablet producers.

Improved software in the app format will sell more iPads 9.7" size ... not the dwarf many are writing about.  Apple just introduced the incredible Retina Screen on the 3rd generation iPad.  They're not going to jeopardize the growing interesting in iPad 9.7" format.

If you want smaller ... you have iPhone 4 and 4s.

Guess all you want ... this is not going to happen IMHO

Maybe a tablet won't be its primary use. If Apple builds a 7" device then there will be a damn good reason for it. A 7" tablet alone might not be a damn good reason but a 7" iWhatever that doubles as a tablet would be a good reason. This all depends upon what Apple will introduce this year... if anything.

Seems to be too many stories to believe that there won't be a different Apple device of some nature or other.

• Reply 134 of 167
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Realize that people use colloquial names in daily conversation and understand how the general public talks. You will need to understand context. If you fail to do so, you will be continually stymied by your lack of ability to communicate, most likely resulting in lost opportunities (in your career, personal life, etc.).

Good luck.

Butthurt much?

Guy did not agress you. Did not insult you. Did actually not say anything that makes such an aggressive response justified.

If you want to insult someone, insult me. I'll even give you a reason: I think you're an obnoxious jerk.

I'm riiiight here with the smiley face on my shirt :p

• Reply 135 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The fact that he calls them Brazilians and Mexicans completely pops his own unbelievably weak argument that they are more commonly referred to a grouping of two continents referred to as a single entity and that the only country with the word America in it should never have its people be referred to as Americans.

PS: It's funny that he doesn't once reference Brasil (República Federativa do Brasil) or the United Mexican States (Estados Unidos Mexicanos) — another country with United States in their official name — since he's pretending to be so keen on only using the terminology that is common among the people of those countries.

I'm not going to play to long in this thread, but I just wanted to add an element to it. While when an USA citizen says "American" he means "from the USA", when a European says "American", he means, "from the Americas". Just as some Americans (from the USA) would have difficulty telling Macedonia from Greece or even from the Netherlands (yes, some would... I have met some, as ludicrous as it seems), there are Europeans who aren't sure where to place the USA or Colombia on the other side of the ocean.

My point, I guess, is that names are very dependant on who gives them, so why not apply some leeway to the term?

Just my two cents :D

• Reply 136 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Maybe a tablet won't be its primary use. If Apple builds a 7" device then there will be a damn good reason for it. A 7" tablet alone might not be a damn good reason but a 7" iWhatever that doubles as a tablet would be a good reason. This all depends upon what Apple will introduce this year... if anything.

Seems to be too many stories to believe that there won't be a different Apple device of some nature or other.

Maybe they're going to make a new iMac with a 7 inch touchscreen replacing the touchpad? Or maybe it's the new control panel for the iSpaceshuttle? We'll find out eventually!

• Reply 137 of 167
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Maybe they're going to make a new iMac with a 7 inch touchscreen replacing the touchpad? Or maybe it's the new control panel for the iSpaceshuttle? We'll find out eventually!

Haha, well maybe it's the much-vaunted AppleTV? They'll sell 'em small and cheap so that families will have one for each room. iPad and 7" tablets are frequently sold as items upon which to view videos.  in that role, what differs them from a TV? 

• Reply 138 of 167
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

To hear this many people try to claim that the USA has dominion over a term that universally applies to millions of people outside of their border is hilarious. Never under estimate the United States capacity for being self-absorbed.

• Reply 139 of 167
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bsenka wrote: »

What a stupid discussion. Who the heck cares?

If the person using the term 'America' can't be more specific, they run the risk of being misunderstood. Obviously, based on the discussion here, the term is too vague to have a precise meaning. So use a term that is not vague and the problem goes away.
  • Reply 140 of 167
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I kind of miss the 4th gen Nano. And the click wheel: there's still no easier way to scrub over small sections of a very long (say, 2-hour long) audio program.
    Agreed. I also miss that. Plus you remember the fact that the camera was for video only? Made no seance why it could have been upgraded to take still. They still sell these in other countries. I'm almost tempted to buy one. If they only had made a larger hard drive.

But that gets me on a whole other topic. Why no iTunes store and wifi sync? People working out at the gym could run out of stuff to listen to? Or if your car or office has a hotspot your could sync from there.

Not everyone wants or has need for an iOS device. Why not update some of the old favorites? Some people just want a tiny device for dedicated audio media, not an iPhone or an iPod touch. Some of us want to have a dedicated device for our whole media library but don't want to pay $250 for that privilege. But I gues I'm the minority there. Just seems to make little sense why they are figuratively turning their backs on what made they so huge to begin with.

They set out to reinvent the PMP and stated they wanted to make the best device they could. Well, they fell short given current advances in iOS. Here's the short list.

No iTunes store
    No wifi sync.
    No still photography.
    No larger SDD than 16gb.
    No voice control or dictation for search.

Had they added those features to the 4th gen iPod nano, they would have made the best device they could. It cold have been the swansong for the iPod line but instead it just fizzled out.