Google prepping software patch to help Samsung dodge Galaxy Nexus injunction

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

wow i can't believe you mentioned the trash bin. What a laughable defense. To say that Apple invented an bitmap image that looks like a trash can where you drag a file and it performs a delete command is reaching at straws. Apple stole the FUNDAMENTALS of Hero's invention.

You have no clue of what Steve Job and his team saw at Xerox, you have no knowledge of what Xerox first GUI was looking like and how it was working. It was a mess, icons and dropdown menu was there, but there was absolutely no desktop concept.  Apple has created the desktop paradigme with concept of file, folder and Apps that you can manipulate and drag & drop object around the file system, what we all takes for granted  and part of every modern Desktop OS.

With iOS and the iPad, the new Apple bet is about the desktop paradigme is now too cumbersome for many and can be workaround by giving back control to Apps of managing their own files. 

• Reply 82 of 96
    kevinn206kevinn206 Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They don't seem to reveal their search algorithms. It's almost like Google is full of shit. ????

Why on earth would Google reveal its search algorithms? What kind of an idiot would one be to do that if your business is search, where your algorithms are your assets and secrets? How about Apple reveals its algorithms for Siri?

• Reply 83 of 96
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

I am sorry that I dont have the time to follow these things closely, but isnt is obvious goggle is stealing from Apple? I watched this video posted and if this is the latest goggle phone then boy what a joke. Also did anyone notice that pre-written messages to send when you cant take a call (around 1:20), well Apple showed that with ios6, so clearly stolen by gogle. I guess it doesnt matter now that this phone is banned.

Wow!  The level of brainwashing here is astounding!  I don't know whether responding with a "busy" SMS was available on Android phones 1 year ago or 2 years ago!!!

• Reply 84 of 96
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kevinn206 wrote: »
    Why on earth would Google reveal its search algorithms? What kind of an idiot would one be to do that if your business is search, where your algorithms are your assets and secrets? How about Apple reveals its algorithms for Siri?

Thanks for detailing my point.
  • Reply 85 of 96
    bb321bb321 Posts: 11member

Okay, no offense but most here don't seem to understand the patent system. As far as software is concerned, you can patent A WAY of achieving a particular idea, but not the IDEA itself. So as far as the unified search feature, as long as they achieve it a different way than Apple, there is no infringement. Like the door hinge example....If you develop a totally different hinge, but it achieves the same function, it's fine. These patents are b.s. anyways, as all the experts agree. Even those granted should only be valid for a few years, and only the ones that are appropriate at that. Apple thinks they should be able to sue everyone with a touchscreen! Even though there were many touchscreens before the iPhone.....Ever hear of the Neonode N1?? They have a patent on touchscreen based gestures, slide to unlock, etc. All of these were from before the iPhone even came out. I'm surprised they haven't sued yet. I mean, if you're gonna complain about Google and Android, at least get your facts straight! Android notifications anyone?! I honestly can't wait til that patent gets approved, which should be this year....I imagine they'll sue Apple and force them to go back to their old, crappy system of notifications.

• Reply 86 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless you come up with a different (read: actual) argument, I don't ever want to see this crap posted again.

That's not me-in-mod-mode talking, of course, so feel free to keep repeating yourself to the hollow, echoing walls. image

He did post an actual argument. There are a lit of features in iOS that appeared in Android months or years before. Notification Center/Bar, Direct text while receiving a call, individual notification sounds.....that's just for starters....Oh yeah, unless you actually know what you're talking about, I don't ever wanna see that crap posted again.....dumbass.

• Reply 87 of 96
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ban hammer in 3... 2... 1...
  • Reply 88 of 96

Yeah, truth hurts...sorry about that.

• Reply 89 of 96

By the way, this whole argument is pointless. Apple isn't entitled to this patent because of prior-art. There were quite a few examples of universal search in the 90's I believe. Definitely a few before the iPhone was in development and there is prob a patent on it somewhere by another company who would be smart to sue Apple for stealing it and getting somehow approved for a bogus patent....

• Reply 90 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb321 View Post

Yeah, truth hurts...sorry about that.

Notification center was on Cydia, way before Android.

• Reply 91 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bb321 wrote: »
    Yeah, truth hurts…sorry about that.

And when you get some truth, go ahead and come back.

Also, insults are against our rules. Refrain from them in the future.
  • Reply 92 of 96
    bigmac2 wrote: »
    Notification center was on Cydia, way before Android.
    You didn't respond to the other points such as Direct text while receiving call, ota updates, wireless sync, widgets, maps, custom notification sounds, wallet, camera from unlock screen, notifications from unlock screen? Let's even go with the argument that Google 'stole'the idea for creating a smartphone os..Apple blatantly rips off tons of android features....and about a year after android introduces it.
  • Reply 93 of 96
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

Google does reveal their search algorithms. How else to get a patent on it? And after 2018 even Apple can use it.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/6285999

• Reply 94 of 96

This looks more like a religious debate, than a true conversation regarding the merits of patents. There are those on both sides battling it out and trying to convince the other side that their Deity is the true one. Holy war…

This really does not accomplish very much and leads to name calling on both sides.

The patent war that is currently going on between Apple and Google (Mostly Samsung and Motorola, but only because they are selling the most devices) does not benefit the consumers of their products any more than the 7 figure salaries of their executives benefit us. The purpose is not about protecting intellectual property, but rather it is to stifle the competition and maintain the high levels of profit they currently receive. You do not need to take my word for this as you can read the opinion of US judge Richard Posner here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/05/us-apple-google-judge-idUSBRE8640IQ20120705

The patent system is definitely flawed as is the rest of our legal system. Anyone who believes there are no innocents in Jail may be interested in purchasing a certain bridge that’s up for saleJ. Rather than fighting amongst ourselves we should be taking the large corporations to task for the high prices they charge and the HUGE profits they make and use (lawsuits) to hurt the competition, which would inevitably lead to even higher prices and less innovation for us consumers, once the competition has been killed.

None of us are to blame for this. We are only listening to the words of those (corporations) that DO NOT care about us. The execs only care about whether they get the $10M bonus instead of $5M if they are successful in stopping the completion. We can’t really be that naïve… I most certainly do not believe in the trickledown effect.

So, let’s face some facts:

1)      Apple is an innovator in GUI design

2)      Google is an innovator in search algorithms

3)      Android development began in 2003.

4)      IOS and Android, while having similarities are different. Android was initially released as a multitasking OS with widgets, not just icons. 

The patent for unified search was applied for in 2004, which is the same year that Google released “desktop search” which is a unified search function. At the time that Apple applied for the patent they did not have any devices that used it.

The computer industry moves very quickly and things change in a very short period of time. If I were Google and I just saw the iPhone, the best I could do if I were to copy it, would be to release a product a year later (possibly more, I’m not sure about how long it takes to design and manufacture a product start to finish) that mimicked last year’s tech…

Here is a video from 1994 that shows a tablet that looks about as similar to an iPad as the galaxy tab is: http://www.androidauthority.com/apple-samsung-patent-war-69575/

Let’s take the Automobile industry as an example. What if Ford had patented the round wheel and no other Auto manufacture could copy that. Do you think that would have benefited us (the consumers) in any way? Would we have benefited by either having to only drive Ford autos, or be forced to drive a car with square wheels if we didn’t like Ford? How about the rectangular windshield with rounded corners. Would you care to drive a car with an oval windshield? ABS was invented by Mercedes. Do you wish that no one else could offer antilock brakes?

Fact is the Americans stayed ahead of the competition by truly innovating, not by suing everyone else into oblivion. The Japanese started by copying us and building cheaper cars, but that is not the reason we failed. We failed because we let the accountants take over and let our quality lag, while that Japanese got better each year until they passed us by. The Koreans saw this and started out the same way the Japanese did, by building cheap cars. Now look at them, they are pretty close to the quality of the Japanese cars. If you look very closely you will see that the Japanese did not make the same mistake we did. They continued to innovate and still build the most reliable cars. If they hadn’t they would be in the same position we put ourselves into in the 80’s. We learned from our mistakes and are building quality autos again, but it took us a long time to recover from our mistake.

Looking at copying, patent infringement, and Automobiles, leads us to the Honda CR-V. It is so popular in China that several companies made almost exact duplicates. Yes, Honda tried the lawsuit game, but found that it didn’t work very well in China. The fact of the matter is that while the copycat’s may have looked the same, there was garbage under the skin and Honda was not really hurt by this, since their product was of a much higher quality.

My point here is that rather than spending huge sums of money on lawyers, our interest and the interests of both Apple and Google would be to continue to create great products and have some healthy competition in order to give us (the consumers) options and keep the big guys at least a little bit honest. There will always be some similarities between one smart phone OS and another, as well as one Tablet OS and another. Is that really a bad thing for us?

• Reply 95 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [SIZE=11pt]My point here is that rather than spending huge sums of money on lawyers, our interest and the interests of both Apple and Google would be to continue to create great products and have some healthy competition in order to give us (the consumers) options and keep the big guys at least a little bit honest. There will always be some similarities between one smart phone OS and another, as well as one Tablet OS and another. Is that really a bad thing for us?[/SIZE]

Couldn't you have just said "innovate, don't litigate" at the beginning of the post (or made those three words your whole post) so we would know to ignore it right off?
  • Reply 96 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb321 View Post

You didn't respond to the other points such as Direct text while receiving call, ota updates, wireless sync, widgets, maps, custom notification sounds, wallet, camera from unlock screen, notifications from unlock screen? Let's even go with the argument that Google 'stole'the idea for creating a smartphone os..Apple blatantly rips off tons of android features....and about a year after android introduces it.

None of those features are original to Google, they are merely software add-ons features and most of those are still not deploy on the majority of Android phones yet.  Now what about smartphone defining features like multi-touch capacitive screen, gorilla glass screen, wi-fi, a real browser on a mobile device, a real C based mobile application plateform?  For sure Apple was not the first but before the iPhone, no one was activily following that path. Just take a look on any mobile OS pre-iPhone, including Android 1.0, they all was based on Blackberry's physical keys interaction principles and nowhere near of an open to everyone mobile application plateform approach like the iPhone have been ever since.