Ultrabook makers fear design patent lawsuits from Apple - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

PC makers are said to be "facing threats from Apple" over Ultrabook designs that resemble the ultraportable MacBook Air.

Because of Apple's alleged threats, ...

So the title of this article and the main thrust is about these "threats" from Apple, but absolutely nothing in this article (or the source article it's ripped off from) indicate any factual basis to this at all.  One original source said he "feared" threats from Apple, which becomes definite (although not specified) threats in the DigiTimes article, which then becomes "Apple's alleged threats" here.  

A classic case of an absolute non-story, rising wholesale out of offhand personal remarks that have been completely misreported by the blogo-sphere.  

Now we can all have a long thread about how Apple is "threatening" manufacturers (how dare they! the bastards!) when in fact nothing of the sort has occurred that we actually know about. 

• Reply 62 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm still stunned that this MBA knockoff running Android is even allowed to be sold!

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-book-thd-n2-a-macbook-clone-android-ics-93542/

When the MBA was originally introduced, the typical iHaters and trolls lambasted Apple for its design, for choosing "pretty" over functionality, and <insert additional whining nonsense here>.

Now, "ultra books" are all the rage and (just about) all the makers are embracing the MBA style.  By sheer coincidence, those same whiners are mysteriously nowhere to be found and those that are, praise the notebooks as competition for Apple yet don't seem to have a problem with the same design that not long ago they were criticizing.  Can anyone say "Hypocrites"??

The fact it's a Digitimes article immediately puts to question the veracity of the story.  However, considering what I see out there, Apple is completely in its right as far as I'm concerned to go after anyone that mimics its design.  Go do your own freaking R&D and STOP using Apple as your R&D department!

The ultrabook designs that I see out there, while MBA clones, are truly horrible.  Sure some may cost less, but you see where that cost-cutting is going by using inferior displays, bad keyboards, flimsy designs, bad thermal management, the list keeps going.

But hey, you're saving your $100 right?  After all, it's all about (and only) price so you deserve what you pay for.  

Priceless stuff, 'local.

This puts you very near the top.  :)

• Reply 63 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Did you ever have problems with this when you were younger?

Picture1.jpg

He had problems with it last week.

• Reply 64 of 75
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    So... Apples scared them into designing there own laptops? This is a good thing. The more designers out there the better the selection.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    gtr wrote: »

LL

Good one! :)
  • Reply 66 of 75
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I've wondered why Apple hasn't gone after the Air clones, yet.  I'm sure this is a complicated issue, given Intel was the company providing the design direction to the pc market.  If Apple created the design and Intel was not given the rights to offer it to others, then Apple should be going after both Intel and the pc makers who have created virtual knock-offs of the Air.

I've suspected that they haven't bothered with the Air knockoffs for two reasons.

1. The market isn't nearly as huge, so the economics don't make as much sense.

2.  If the Air knockoffs also ran an operating system which was nearly identical to OS X, they'd have much more fuel to burn them with in court.

• Reply 67 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why does AI continue to post crsp from DigiTimes?!?
  • Reply 68 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why does AI continue to post crsp from DigiTimes?!?

They believe that it is a good way to maximize total profits.  Why does any business do anything? 

The Digitimes articles are popular, and are read by many people.  They often result in long forum discussions.  All of that is good for a company that looks for ways to attract eyeballs.  So far, running Digitimes articles seems to work well for AI.

If they were routinely ignored, then AI would be likely to run fewer of them.  If they are popular, AI is likely to continue running them.  By giving their readers what they want, AI generates profits.

• Reply 69 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    And whose profits are YOU generating, trolling and making account upon account, Connie?
  • Reply 70 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Isn't the point of the article that the makers are afraid of getting too close to the design ... in other words they'd like to be a lot closer in copying but are worried of replicas (although I think I saw a Sony that was really close). I agree that picture you posted is not close to a Mac, it's really horrible in comparison.
    I believe the Envy was the HP laptop accused of being a MBP clone.

P1060836.JPG

Of course it's different enough that Apple probably couldn't sue. But it would be nice if there was a bit more originality. Samsung and Lenovo seem to be able to do it.

Acer's Ultrabook offerings are very close to MBA design. Again not an exact copy of course but no originality that's for sure.

Acer%20Aspire%20S3%20Ultrabook%20Laptop%2022.jpg

And then Dell just came out with an all-in-one that is quite reminiscent of the iMac. Once again not exactly the same but not really different either.

xsone27_lsy_00180b90_gy_1.jpg

Of course none of these have the fit and finish of Apple's offerings. They remind me a bit of a knock off Louis Vuitton or Chanel handbag.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    rogifan wrote: »
    And then Dell just came out with an all-in-one that is quite reminiscent of the iMac. Once again not exactly the same but not really different either.

O~f course…

????
  • Reply 72 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I believe the Envy was the HP laptop accused of being a MBP clone.

P1060836.JPG

Of course it's different enough that Apple probably couldn't sue. But it would be nice if there was a bit more originality. Samsung and Lenovo seem to be able to do it.

Acer's Ultrabook offerings are very close to MBA design. Again not an exact copy of course but no originality that's for sure.

Acer%20Aspire%20S3%20Ultrabook%20Laptop%2022.jpg

The detail that caught my attention was that Apple has long centered the trackpad on the case, whereas PC laptop makers have centered their trackpads between the position of the hands on the keyboard (approximately where the letter 'B' on a QWERTY keyboard is). However, with these new Ultrabooks, it seems they have subtly shifted the location of the trackpad to follow Apple's love of symmetry: right down the center of the case.

Coincidence or more imitation of the Mac?

• Reply 73 of 75
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's funny how these coincidental similarities in HW design only seem to pop up after Apple has released a new product. It's almost as if it's not coincidental at all.

Apple has become associated with trendsetting in electronics. I think other brands don't want to risk standing out in a bad way. If their margins are thinner at the low to mid range price points that turn over in large volume, a flop could really hurt them. What annoys me is when other brands take the wrong design cues from Apple (ugh glossy displays). I like that Apple is messing around with treated glass. Getting reflectivity down to a manageable level was something that was really necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You know better than that. Design is about the finer details. A tapered body isn't that, it's just a shape primitive. Take a look at HP's ultrabook and compare it vs. the Air and vs your X505. You can take detail shots of the HP and they'll look just like the same shot on an Air. That isn't true of the X505.

Most of the people I've seen comment on them pay very little attention to the details. It's usually just a single angle side by side, when design patents are usually very specific to the point where such a comparison doesn't work well. I haven't been able to turn up a lot of verifiable or well sourced details relative to how design patents are tested though in terms of validity and potential infringement. I wish I could add something more interesting, but it seems weird passing conclusive judgment on these devices without actually using them.

• Reply 74 of 75
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    He had problems with it last week.

gtr wrote: »

LL

I see him having problems with that since ever I read his posts.

But I have to admit his posts usually make me laugh quit a bit.
    That's why I wouldn't put him on the ignore list yet.
    ;-)
  • Reply 75 of 75
    You might just find that the Macbook Air is a collaborative Intel design.

It is obviously more profitable to collaborate and sell to Apple first.
    The fact that Ultrabooks are so similar hints that this is very much the case.

Considering Galaxy Tabs and iPad are incredibly dissimilar compared to an ultrabooks and an Air, it is credible that both designs are Intel.