Amazon reportedly planning smartphone to take on Apple's iPhone

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rednival wrote: »

It irritates me that people claim everyone copies Apple and give Apple a pass at the things they have copied.  Apple is a master at improving and innovating existing products and they deserve all the credit in the world for doing so.  Rarely have they invented them.  Even the iPad is an improvement of the tablet PC concept that never went anywhere until Apple got a hold of it.  The iPhone was an amazing innovation, but Apple didn't invent the smartphone.  They just made it cool.

So your claim is that Apple didn't invent a general category so they didn't invent anything regarding the product that has changed the face of computing time and time again? Makes perfect sense¡
  • Reply 82 of 83
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

So your claim is that Apple didn't invent a general category so they didn't invent anything regarding the product that has changed the face of computing time and time again? Makes perfect sense¡

On the contrary,  I clearly said (and you even quoted it), "Apple is a master at improving and innovating existing products and they deserve all the credit in the world for doing so".  That innovation CLEARLY involves inventing new features, but rarely have they completely invented a whole new product out of thin air that was not based on an existing product or idea.  Even multi-touch screens were around at least a decade before Apple made them popular.

Frankly, I don't understand your complaint.  I am saying Apple is a master at fixing and perfecting products that no one else can get right.  They invent new market segments through that innovation.  NO ONE was buying tablets before the iPad.  Only businesses bought smart phones before the iPhone.  

Besides, my main point was to wait and see what Amazon offers up before commenting that it is going to be a copy.  And if they do copy Apple but pay royalties, what does it matter?  As I stated, I don't think Amazon's goal is to innovate tablets or smart phones but to grow and innovate in the retail space.  I think what Apple and Amazon are doing is already quite different.  I don't foresee them trying to be a major device company.  You don't see Amazon putting aggressive ads on TV for Kindle Fire that bash the iPad.  The Kindle Fire appears to be marketed as a gateway to all that Amazon offers in books, entertainment, and software.  I wouldn't expect them to market a phone any differently.  

Apple is more interested in creating the coolest gadgets on earth.  Period.

• Reply 83 of 83
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I just had a crazy idea that will absolutely not happen. But it's fun to think about anyway.

What if Amazon made an e-ink phone? Basically a pocketable Kindle. Give it a 4 or 4.5" screen, and have Amazon subsidize the data connection like they do with the 3G Kindle. So you do have mobile web, but it's limited by the capabilities of the phone itself, and all you have to pay for is the voice and text plan. Free with contract, $200 without.

So obviously with e-ink you'll be limited in how useful it is for traditional smartphone applications, but it also has a ton of advantages. Battery life for one. Cost would be another - it would be a "smartphone-lite" for people who don't want to jump in with a $30/mo data connection in addition to what they're already paying for their phone bill.

Like I said, I DO NOT EXPECT THIS TO EVER HAPPEN, but it is an interesting thought.