Microsoft announces Windows 8 will launch in October

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Or if it really traumatises you, Windows XP.

free-msn-winks.jpg

Agree, how about MS give them DOS!

• Reply 42 of 54
    fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

If you are in the Metro UI, all you have to do is start typing the program's name. It doesn't even matter where the mouse is at the time. If employees can't figure that out the company is doomed. 

-kpluck

And half of unemployed on those queues cannot do exactly that. Wonder why unemployment is so high.

On the business side, how long do you think Win8 and Win7 may have to exist side by side like Win2000 and WinXP did?

• Reply 43 of 54
    fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Sometimes I wonder how much common sense you have for a moderator. Every Windows Release since XP has been in the October Timeframe, this is hardly some surprise or golden nugget. 

He's not a real mod. He's hired troll on the payroll to spice up tepid topics so AI can get paid per page view. I though you know that already.

Techstud used to do this very same job, miles better than Tallest Skil ever does, free of charge. The man from Manhattan was so great he launched Apple Insider to to must-watch list of CNBC. Now he is gone; we went overboard and hounded him away. Now the AI fell off the cliff, reduced to this position of also-ran, soon to be closed if my inside traders were right.

Apple Insider without Techstud is like Wings compare to Beatles, sadly.

• Reply 44 of 54
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    fairthrope wrote: »
    He's not a real mod. He's hired troll on the payroll to spice up tepid topics so AI can get paid per page view. I though you know that already.

Techstud used to do this very same job, miles better than Tallest Skil ever does, free of charge. The man from Manhattan was so great he launched Apple Insider to to must-watch list of CNBC. Now he is gone; we went overboard and hounded him away. Now the AI fell off the cliff, reduced to this position of also-ran, soon to be closed if my inside traders were right.

Excuse me.

Your tin foil hat fell off when you took your meds.

Would you like it back?
  • Reply 45 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Metro on anything above 10" is definitely Rectal Display status.

LOL, I was hoping that description would, dare I stay 'stick' ... ewew......
  • Reply 46 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    fairthrope wrote: »

Pshh, I'd love to get paid. If I'm supposed to be, let me know. :lol:

See, this is the complete opposite of what sane people think.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

You are incorrect.  I am always missed.  Just ask my mother...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BladeDag View Post

You will not be missed, good luck! We just get on with our lifes knowing it just get's better and better - if ain't broke............

• Reply 48 of 54
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

That's a stretch.  At Ease used static icons.  Live Tiles are dynamic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

I thought the Windows 8 interface looked familiar…. Mac OS 9 had a program in the early 90's called, "At Ease," that created large folders you could put on your desktop to launch via one-click, & not confuse you with the other stuff. It wasn't touch screen though, so MS probably invented that.

• Reply 49 of 54
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

If I understand your problem correctly, the iMac 27" running 'Lion' has 13 screen resolutions: from 800x600 to 2560x1440. Both 1920x1080 and 1280x720 are supported, although there is some edge fuzziness. On a iMac 21" running 'Snow Leopard', one has about seven choices including 1280x720. At the moment,I see no reason why ML would offer less.

Cheers

My vision is different from many. Blurry is the norm. Any flat panel display is even more blurry to me, when not using the native resolution. I was hoping HiDPI would improve upon that. Also, since 1280x720 is exactly half the native resolution for the iMac 27, one might think the pixels would align properly and in clear focus. Something tells me it will have to be a mini using HDMI for me, and a large 720 HDTV. If anyone is doing that and wishes to chime in, I'd appreciate their input.

• Reply 50 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    wplj42 wrote: »
    My vision is different from many. Blurry is the norm. Any flat panel display is even more blurry to me, when not using the native resolution. I was hoping HiDPI would improve upon that. Also, since 1280x720 is exactly half the native resolution for the iMac 27, one might think the pixels would align properly and in clear focus. Something tells me it will have to be a mini using HDMI for me, and a large 720 HDTV. If anyone is doing that and wishes to chime in, I'd appreciate their input.

I think you have a point there, and it's not one that I've thought about. Trying the half resolution mode on my Mac, and it does do some form of interpolation rather than a simple pixel doubling. I think it's worth trying in Mountain Lion.
  • Reply 51 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think you have a point there, and it's not one that I've thought about. Trying the half resolution mode on my Mac, and it does do some form of interpolation rather than a simple pixel doubling. I think it's worth trying in Mountain Lion.

Thanks Jeff. I have not seen the iMacs since the release of Snow Leopard. My HP AIO is fine for now, as it uses Windows 7. I am in no hurry to replace it, but hope there is a way for my poor eyesight to return to OS X. Windows 8 is faster in desktop mode than Windows 7, but not worth all the Metro business. I still have my 2007 20 inch iMac. I am wondering if getting Mountain Lion will give me a clue to my questions, or is the hardware too old? It is the entry level version with a Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GHz. I have 2 GB of RAM, and the DVDs for Leopard and Snow Leopard.

• Reply 52 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    wplj42 wrote: »
    Thanks Jeff. I have not seen the iMacs since the release of Snow Leopard. My HP AIO is fine for now, as it uses Windows 7. I am in no hurry to replace it, but hope there is a way for my poor eyesight to return to OS X. Windows 8 is faster in desktop mode than Windows 7, but not worth all the Metro business. I still have my 2007 20 inch iMac. I am wondering if getting Mountain Lion will give me a clue to my questions, or is the hardware too old? It is the entry level version with a Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GHz. I have 2 GB of RAM, and the DVDs for Leopard and Snow Leopard.

I think it's compatible, that iMac is on the compatibility list.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    What ticks me off is the Radeon 4000 series isn't supported in Windows 8.

Sure, the Snow Leopard Boot Camp drivers work just fine in the RP, but if I try to update (to get Space Engine running; won't work with Open GL 2.1), it breaks completely and boots to 640x480.

Six forty. By four eighty.

You know what I have to do to get it to the proper resolution at that point? Bottom right corner, click, Control Panel, Hardware, right-click on my computer, properties, click on the Radeon 4000 in the list, click EDIT (because if I click "driver" straight off, it doesn't let me do diddly-squat), click driver, click update, click "find the update online", wait for it to download the driver from Microsoft, click accept… and then here's the best part… click REVERT TO OLD DRIVER, click accept, click apply (at which point the screen flashes and goes to the proper resolution), close the properties window, and then… click CANCEL when it tells me to restart to apply my changes, because if I do restart, it takes me back to 640x480.

Apple. New Mac Pro. Please. New GPUs…
  • Reply 54 of 54

Don't fault MS, this time, AMD is pulling the plug:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU119Win8GPUDriverSupport.aspx