Apple's next iPod nano may resemble tiny iPhone, feature dedicated iTunes service

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple may once again redesign its iPod nano this fall with a rectangular screen and a home button, much like an iPhone, along with a dedicated built-in iTunes service.

The new iPod nano is rumored to arrive this fall alongside an overhaul of Apple's iTunes music and media service, according to Japanese blog Macotakara. Citing a "reliable Chinese source," a report on Tuesday indicated the next iPod nano is "not square shaped" like the current model.

Instead, the new iPod nano is alleged to have a rectangular display, presumably touchscreen, that would be like a smaller version of the 3.5-inch screen found on the iPhone and iPod touch. Like the larger iOS-based devices, the new iPod nano is also said to have a home button.

The details appear to come from a source who claims to have seen a leaked case revealing the new design. The person said that the case for the new iPod nano had a hole on the front that would presumably be used for a dedicated home button.

The new iPod nano is also rumored to feature a "dedicated new iTunes service," that person added. An anticipated "autumn update" to iTunes would bring about new features, and ditch Ping, the social networking service Apple launched in 2010 that has since failed to gain any traction.

Nano

Apple redesigned the iPod nano in 2010 with a new square design controlled through a small multi-touch display. That design features a clip on the back making it deal for using during physical activity, but the updated iPod nano is rumored to ditch the clip.

The leaked casing was said to be smaller than the fifth-generation iPod nano, and thinner than the current-generation model, thanks largely to the absence of the rear clip.

iPod nano

A render included with the story shows a device that looks like a mix between an iPhone or iPod touch with Apple's fifth-generation iPod nano, which also featured a rectangular shape but was controlled by a click-wheel.

While the current iPod nano mimics Apple's iOS mobile operating system found on the iPhone and iPad, it is not the same software, and cannot run applications that are available on the App Store. Tuesday's report did not indicate whether an iPod nano with a home button would actually run iOS, or continue to be its own separate, app-less platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member

This product, although may be false, feels like what Apple would do as a "game changer". Maybe it will serve as a mini iPod Touch so that the regular iPod Touch can grow to something like 5" diagonal? If so, this Nano should run iOS apps ... just a wild guess image

• Reply 2 of 67
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    I really, really hope this comes true! I'm not fond of the current one and hanging onto my previous gen/design with all hopes that it lasts forever!
  • Reply 3 of 67
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Ridiculously ugly. Digitimes-designed?

• Reply 4 of 67
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

With some tweaks I'd definitely trade in my previous gen for one. I do not like anything about the current one. 

• Reply 5 of 67
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Yeah, but will it have a retina display?     Has to have a retina display or I won't believe the rumor.

Oh, and Thunderbolt too.

• Reply 6 of 67
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

There’s really only one direction Apple can take the Nano forward, and Apple doesn’t like to stand still: Make it bigger!

• Reply 7 of 67
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Disappointed if true. Was really hoping they'd continue to develop the current square design as a wearable accessory for iOS devices and Macs.
  • Reply 8 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Disappointed if true. Was really hoping they'd continue to develop the current square design as a wearable accessory for iOS devices and Macs.

I wonder if the existing design (or something like it) will become the new iPod Shuffle.

• Reply 9 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I almost bought a nano yesterday, I was going to use it as a watch, especially since there are a lot of watchbands available for it now. I'm glad that I didn't buy it, because after some quick research, I found out that you can not have the screen on all of the time. What's the point of having an iPad nano watch if the screen is going to be black 99% of the time. If I'm going to wear an iPad Nano watch, then the screen needs to be on all of the time.

I just ended up getting a solar powered, atomic G-Shock instead for around the same price that a Nano + watch band would have cost. That was a far better buy.

• Reply 10 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

I wonder if the existing design (or something like it) will become the new iPod Shuffle.

Quite possibly, although I'm not sure about the price with a screen and memory like that they probably couldn't keep the price. Although you never know.

• Reply 11 of 67
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I hope it changes...in my opinion its pretty worthless and a pain in the ass to use as it currently stands. I liked the previous ones better. If they're going to keep the same design, they should replace the shuffle with the Nano. The Shuffle is another worthless POS that doesn't deserve the name iPod in front of its name. 

Really, all they need is a Nano using a similar design mentioned in the article and a Touch. Drop the Classic and Shuffle. 

• Reply 12 of 67
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I almost bought a nano yesterday, I was going to use it as a watch, especially since there are a lot of watchbands available for it now. I'm glad that I didn't buy it, because after some quick research, I found out that you can not have the screen on all of the time. What's the point of having an iPad nano watch if the screen is going to be black 99% of the time. If I'm going to wear an iPad Nano watch, then the screen needs to be on all of the time.

I just ended up getting a solar powered, atomic G-Shock instead for around the same price that a Nano + watch band would have cost. That was a far better buy.

A better buy is to just use your phone. ;-)

• Reply 13 of 67
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianus View Post

I was hoping for this too, but maybe they will do both.  

I'm getting kind of bored (and tired of the expense) of carrying an iPhone and a iPad everywhere.  Other than the network connection the iPhone is becoming more and more just "dead weight" to me.  I was hoping that a nano or some kind of wearable something would be able to replicate the infrequently used antique 'telephone" function, let me see what time it is occasionally, and therefore completely replace the iPhone since the other functions are all replicated on the iPad anyway.  

I'd like to just carry the iPad (hopefully the 'mini'), be able to see the time & weather without having to pull the iPad out of my bag, and not look like a complete tool when I get the occasional phone call.  

Who uses the telephone anymore anyway?  I'd be glad to not have to buy/use an iPhone at all at this point.  

• Reply 14 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    This sounds like the very first "iPhone nano" rumor ever published. You know, the one from before the first iPhone even came out.

Come on.
  • Reply 15 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

There’s really only one direction Apple can take the Nano forward, and Apple doesn’t like to stand still: Make it bigger!

That's what she said.... And you are right.

• Reply 16 of 67
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

I kinda hope they stop making the shuffle entirely.  

It's totally tacky and not really related to anything else Apple does. They might as well make portable AM radios and travel alarms as well.  Or maybe one of those radios that works in the shower.  

Those are all in the same general category of device.    

• Reply 17 of 67
    This raises some interesting questions. Will the nano continue to run the iPod OS, or bump up to a legitimate iOS device? Are apps a consideration for the nano? Keyboard text input? Wifi connectivity? AirPlay? Apple TV controller capability?

I doubt they'd waste much real estate on the front of the device as in the mockup. It would probably have a bigger display.

Although this could cause some minor software fragmentation, it could also feasibly become a key part of the iOS ecosystem. More of a "iPod Touch Nano" I wonder if that is the strategy here.
  • Reply 18 of 67

Hmm. I've been thinking for awhile that Apple might capitalize on the "iPod Nano as wristwatch" thing and branch it off into its own mature product: a wristwatch the tells time, shows the caller ID of your phone calls, acts as a portal for Siri, has fitness functions, and essentially acts as remote for your iPhone/Mac (in addition to iPod functionality). That would be sweeeet!

If that's true, then perhaps they could return to the rectangular form factor for the pure iPod Nano product. 16:10, 2 inches across, Multitouch but no iOS, home button, slim aluminum body? 

• Reply 19 of 67
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Not a word about a camera. Where is everybody's head?
  • Reply 20 of 67
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member

No, no, no. I don't like that. I hope they don't do it. The next things must be:

• Kill the shuffle

• Seriously convert the nano in the iWatch (iTime, whatever...). Throw that clip away, please...

• Rename the Touch to simply iPod, and upgrade its camera and storage up to 128GB

• Kill the Classic. About time...

• Release that iPad Mini, if it really makes sense.

• Release iPhone 5, The New iPhone, whatever they gonna name it...

• Upgrade iMacs

Happy Holidays....