Steve Ballmer says Microsoft plans to compete with Apple in every market

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer has said in a new interview that his company is "not going to leave any stone unturned" in competing against Apple.

Ballmer said Microsoft intends to make it "absolutely clear" that the company plans to compete in any market against Apple, according to CRN. He said Microsoft plans to "innovate everywhere" and bring its partners along for the ride.

The Microsoft CEO said he believes his company has advantages over the market in productivity, enterprise management and manageability. He said he doesn't see any market where Microsoft will let Apple go uncontested.

"Not the consumer cloud. Not hardware-software innovation. We are not leaving any of that to Apple by itself," Ballmer said. "Not going to happen. Not on our watch."

The interview comes soon after Microsoft unveiled its new Surface tablets, with hardware that the company designed itself. Microsoft's creation of both the hardware and software for Surface is a major transition for the company and gives it an approach similar to Apple.

Ballmer

Apple and Microsoft will not only face off in the tablet market this fall after the launch of Surface, but both companies are also launching next-generation versions of their mobile and traditional PC operating systems. Apple is set to launch Mountain Lion this month while Windows 8 will debut in October, and Apple will release iOS 6 this fall around the same time as Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.

The two companies also compete in the set-top box market, where Microsoft's Xbox 360 offers video and music content in addition to games, while the Apple TV features Apple's iTunes content and can stream games and other material to an HDTV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 133
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Oh boy.

• Reply 2 of 133
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Oh Ballmer, haven't you suffered enough?!  

I never knew Balmer was a Sadomasochist who loved pain and suffering or misery wrought on others!

/

/

/

• Reply 3 of 133

Fatboy's obsessed.

• Reply 4 of 133
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Nothing he ever says seems to be the right thing.
  • Reply 5 of 133
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"... Not the consumer cloud. Not hardware-software innovation.  We are not leaving any of that to Apple by itself," Ballmer said. "Not going to happen. Not on our watch."...

It's been pointed out elsewhere already, but this is exactly what has already happened "on his watch."  

• Reply 6 of 133
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    freshmaker wrote: »
    Oh boy.

solipsismx wrote: »
    Nothing he ever says seems to the right thing.

Was that on purpose, because it's funnier if it was.
  • Reply 7 of 133

I'm sure tomorrow someone from PR will fix what he said now. lol

• Reply 8 of 133
    reklss41reklss41 Posts: 21member

"I'm sorry, we will try to copy Apple in every market and fail miserably." -Steve Ballmer

• Reply 9 of 133
    drax7drax7 Posts: 38member
    Steve jobs had such a low opinion of this clown. He has been competing all
    Along and now how wakes up to it. The surface will be another sink hole.
  • Reply 10 of 133
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member

OK, so now we know if they hope to compete with Apple at some point, and I guess it's just a question of when, right?

• Reply 11 of 133
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Was that on purpose, because it's funnier if it was.

Nope. I forgot a word.
  • Reply 12 of 133
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

When you roll up the sleeves of a buttoned down Brooks Brothers shirt you are automatically conflicted.

I can just see the new commercials.

"Hello, I'm an iPad."

"Hello I'm an iPad wanna be."

• Reply 13 of 133
    bobbo22bobbo22 Posts: 3member

...so I guess that whole possum strategy by Microsoft isn't working out so well.

• Reply 14 of 133
    skyweirskyweir Posts: 13member

Bring it on Monkey Boy.

• Reply 15 of 133
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

[quote]He said Microsoft plans to "innovate everywhere"[/quote]

That's not really innovation at all, which really confirms what is obvious about Balmer. He doesn't understand innovation at all.

In fact, the entire statement just screams "we're going to follow Apple everywhere and stifle their innovation wherever we can".  He really is a monkey.

• Reply 17 of 133

"not on our watch" if this refers to his tenure at the helm, then it won't be much longer that he'll be competing in every segment that Apple is in. 

Based on his performance, he can't be much longer at microsoft.

• Reply 18 of 133
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL ,ROFLOL ,ROFLOL,
  • Reply 19 of 133
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member

Late to the party and brings Boone's Farm. Sometimes it's better to be one of the cool kids.

• Reply 20 of 133
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

I don't see this being so bad, maybe theyll make a TV and it'll be like an xbox. They sell it for a loss.

Then I can buy TVs for people for christmas. Just gotta leave before they try to turn it on.