Rumor: Next-gen iPhone, 'iPad mini' engineering samples pictured

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A pair of reports on Tuesday allege to show an "engineering samples" of Apple's rumored next-generation iPhone and smaller 7-inch iPad, the latter being one of the first mock-ups to hit the web.

In two back-to-back reports, website Gotta Be Mobile claims to have procured what it calls engineering samples of Apple's upcoming iPhone and iPad mini from a "trusted" supply chain source, though the models bear a striking resemblance to molds used by case manufacturers for prototyping.

It should be noted that because the shots have not been verified and the site's provenance is unknown, the photos are presented here for discussion purposes only as AppleInsider cannot vouch for their validity. While the models below are plausible designs they could merely be mockups or prototypes not meant for market. This was shown to be the case in a report from 2011 which revealed the gamble case makers took, and lost, in manufacturing so-called "teardrop design" products based on purportedly leaked 3D models of what would become the iPhone 4S.

While the next-generation iPhone engineering model seems to be in line with the spate of recent parts leaks (1, 2, 3) as well as a complete rendering and comparison video. The device looks to sport the rumored 4-inch screen, rear camera layout and "uni-body" chassis and not much new information can be gleaned from the sample.

iPhone 5
Purported next-gen iPhone engineering sample. | Source: Gotta Be Mobile

iPhone 5

The alleged iPad mini sample photos, on the other hand, are of particular interest as the orange model is one of the first known physical representations of what the device may look like at launch. If the sample is correct, it seems that Apple will be extending the use of a new, smaller dock connector to the 7-inch iPad that has been widely rumored to be making its debut on the sixth-generation iPhone.

Another change from the current iPad is speaker placement which has apparently been moved toward the center of the device to possibly avoid coverage when holding the unit in landscape mode.

iPad mini
Screen size comparison of purported iPad mini with third-generation iPad.

The plastic "early design sample" bears a striking resemblance to the current full-size iPad and goes against recent reports that the device would take its design cues from Apple's current iPod lineup. Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn is also rumored to be prepping its Brazil factory to build the smaller iPad with production said to start in September.

iPad mini Dock Connector
Bottom of sample looks to hold a smaller, 19-pin dock connector.

While the face of the alleged iPad mini sample is as expected, a side shot of the model's thickness reveals that the production unit could be significantly thinner than the third-generation iPad. A cleaner view of the speaker and dock orientation can also be seen below.

iPad mini with iPad
Side-by-side comparison of unit thickness.

Apple is expected to announce a follow-up to the Siri-toting iPhone 4S as early as September and rumors point to an iPad mini launch sometime before the holiday season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPad mini

This picture suggests to me that if the dimensions for the panel (1024x768 @ 7.85"), are correct, then the bezels on the side of the mini must be narrower than the current iPad.  

• Reply 2 of 60
    rfhjrrfhjr Posts: 44member

Dimensions look right, but the workmanship, even for a mock-up looks too "basement" to me.

• Reply 3 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I certainly hope not.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This picture suggests to me that if the dimensions for the panel (1024x768 @ 7.85"), are correct, then the bezels on the side of the mini must be narrower than the current iPad.  

The shape looks to be using a 16:9 aspect ratio and not the 4:3 or the 7.85" size. If it's 16:9 or 3:2 I would say it's an iPod model, but if it's 4:3 it'll be an iPad model.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Before anyone freaks out about this new iPhone being too tall.... the current iPhone is 11.5cm

This one look to be about 1cm taller.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

If top and bottom bezel stay as wide I am not upgrading.

C'mon Apple, time to get rid of the home button.

• Reply 7 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jason98 wrote: »

NO WAY!!!
  • Reply 8 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The shape looks to be using a 16:9 aspect ratio and not the 4:3 or the 7.85" size. If it's 16:9 or 3:2 I would say it's an iPod model, but if it's 4:3 it'll be an iPad model.

If the normal 3/4" bezels on the iPad were shaved down by a quarter inch on the sides (so 3/4" on top and bottom and 1/2" on the sides), then the panel in this mockup would be within a few millimetres of being the exact right size for a 1024x768, 7.85" panel in the middle.  

• Reply 9 of 60
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member

FAKE !!

I can make better, "engineering samples"

seriously !

With some balsa wood and a whittling knife.

....jeez

• Reply 10 of 60
    ray bartray bart Posts: 91member
    Those photos are d!g sh!t stop wasting readers time with these stupid
    A reliable source' stories
  • Reply 11 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

FAKE !!

I can make better, "engineering samples"

seriously !

With some balsa wood and a whittling knife.

....jeez

The iPad mini looks like a standard 3D model printer output. It is probably very precise but the color makes it look bad on screen.

Perhaps ABSi from www.solidconcepts.com/

I really think we are getting the real deal now.

• Reply 12 of 60
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

I think it would be very odd for Apple to have a thinner bezel on the sides than the top and bottom, and, on that notion, doubt the validity of the purported iPad mini shots.

Still, I like the look of the edges: the speaker grills are nice and the taper is perfect.

• Reply 13 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

If top and bottom bezel stay as wide I am not upgrading.

Let's see how getting rid of the "Start" button works for Microsoft before befuddling the public.

• Reply 14 of 60
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I hope so. The home button is the one thing I really hate about the iPhone/iPad.

• Reply 15 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I hope so. The home button is the one thing I really hate about the iPhone/iPad.

You're kidding right?  The Home Button is one of the main features (possibly *the* central feature), of the UI. 

iOS itself wouldn't work without it and would need significant re-tooling/redesign etc. 

• Reply 16 of 60

"Rumoured 4" screen"

Does this mean apple won't be following the trend among android developers for huge screens?

http://iphoneunlockingservice.blogspot.co.uk/

• Reply 17 of 60
    gazoobee wrote: »
    iOS itself wouldn't work without it and would need significant re-tooling/redesign etc. 

That's what he means. He wants a redesign. Because it's getting 'stale'.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're kidding right?  The Home Button is one of the main features (possibly *the* central feature), of the UI. 

I don't like the actual button as I think it spoils the aesthetics of the device and I always catch my thumb on it when I'm using the device in landscape mode.

I would prefer either a capacitive home button or at the very least a button that was flush with the bezel so you don't notice it placed on the long side rather than the short side so you can play games in landscape mode without catching the button.

• Reply 19 of 60
    [quote name="Shaun, UK" url="/t/151200/rumor-next-gen-iphone-ipad-mini-engineering-samples-pictured#post_2144310"]I don't like the actual button as I think it spoils the aesthetics of the device and I always catch my thumb on it when I'm using the device in landscape mode.[/QUOTE]

Then you have a manufacturing error.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I really think we are getting the real deal now.

I don't know if it's real or not, but what makes you say that? Anybody can order a 3d model from one of those places, can't they?