Apple defends decision to withdraw from EPEAT certification

Comments

• Reply 41 of 135
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

.... I am a pretty nice guy most of the time....

Like I said, nothing about you is humble. A statement like that should be opined by someone....besides yourself....for one to be considered "a pretty nice guy".

• Reply 42 of 135
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Not so fast.

It is absolutely not acceptable, in a world with finite resources, for a company to settle on a business model where they make products that are disposable that cannot be economically recycled. Apple sells tens of millions of devices, so they would be throwing away tens of millions of pounds of aluminum, and many other metals, creating a steady demand for more mineral mining. These days, when the easy mines are all gone, mining is nearly in all cases open pit and low grade ores are processed. This requires huge quantities of water and energy while obliterating habitat wherever it is done.

This point is not the same as iFixit. They demand repairability. I say it's a nice to have, but the showstopper is recyclability. I see no evidence from Apple that the retina MacBook Pro can be economically recycled. Apple says it recycles and "responsibly disposes", but these are two very different things.

The new MacBook Pro has nothing except extremely vague marketing speak.

Not so fast... you show me proof that that Apple is contributing to millions of pounds of aluminum being thrown away.  Until you have bonafide proof, you are simply blowing smoke in everyone's faces, hoping no one sees what you're trying to hide.  Apple has the best record for recycling their products.  Don't even try to spin the story to something that it isn't.  I mean honestly, if you're going to spread misinformation, at least make a decent effort to sound credible!

iFixit's opinion and low rating of the new rMBP is just a childish rant from a company that makes its living selling repair tools and trying to get page-hits by showing visitors what's inside shiny, new products.  They are seeing their revenue stream dry up if Apple makes it difficult for them to stay in business.

Apple has the highest rating in terms of service, product reliability, and customer service.  Most people will NEVER upgrade their RAM, hard drive, or battery when they purchase a notebook.  Apple knows this, and they have taken the next evolutionary step of designing their products with that in mind.  Solder the ram so the connections are more reliable.  Replace hard drives with SSD drives, maybe even solder the NAND chips on the board for extra reliability too.  Glue the battery in so that that it becomes more of a rigid structure for the entire chassis, making it more durable.  It makes perfect sense to me.

To even imply the new Macbook Pro cannot be recyclable because some monkey can't use a flat spatula to peel the battery from the adhesive is sheer BS.

• Reply 43 of 135

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why are all your replies so politically charged? Apparently you are oblivious to the world around you. Everything you write seems to be centered on your extreme self righteousness. You remind me of a NY banker walking down the street who tells a disabled beggar to get a job instead of donating a quarter.

I just IM'd Instant Karma he's coming to get you.

Oh, you didn't know? He posts stuff like that all the time.

• Reply 44 of 135
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151205/apple-defends-decision-to-withdraw-from-epeat-certification/40#post_2144560"]I am referring to real life of course, not the fake online world.

There is nothing fake about only using words to express yourself. One could easily argue that it's the purest form of unbiased communication.

What you express on the internet where there is no repercussions like in the "real world" is your true self, not the one you show to people who you are afraid of, who you depend on, who you can't ever hide from by simply changing a username or email address.

You were a blank canvas to us all. There was no way we can judge you on your gender, height, skin color, looks, hairstyle, manner and quality of dress, or any number of things that lead to innate first impressions that we can't help to have as human beings.

You had your words. Your thoughts. Your wisdom. Your ignorance. Everything that should truly matter. You had the opportunity to express in an unbiased medium just as many great philosophers, poets, politicos, et al. have done in the past.
  • Reply 45 of 135
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What you express on the internet where there is no repercussions like in the "real world" is your true self, not the one you show to people who you are afraid of, who you depend on, who you can't ever hide from by simply changing a username or email address.

Of course it is, I don't disagree with you. I stand by my comments and opinions that I make. And so should everybody else.

• Reply 46 of 135
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151205/apple-defends-decision-to-withdraw-from-epeat-certification/40#post_2144568"]Of course it is, I don't disagree with you. I stand by my comments and opinions that I make. And so should everybody else.

I do appreciate your conviction but I don't appreciate that it's so focused on blind nationalism, elitism, and a multi-tiered bigoted attitude toward anything and anyone different from you. One day I hope you realize just how much in this world depends on luck.
  • Reply 47 of 135
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh, you didn't know? He posts stuff like that all the time.

He knows, and so do the other people who whine about anything that I've written. 

What I don't understand is why they just don't put me on ignore. I am who I am, and I'm not going to change. So their best bet would be to put me on ignore and they wouldn't have to get outraged by anything that I write ever again. It seems to me that certain people like to get "outraged".

• Reply 48 of 135
    sflocal wrote: »
    iFixit's opinion and low rating of the new rMBP is just a childish rant from a company that makes its living selling repair tools and trying to get page-hits by showing visitors what's inside shiny, new products.  They are seeing their revenue stream dry up if Apple makes it difficult for them to stay in business.

Their CEO seemed to make some childish comments but I can't disparage iFixit for giving it a low rating on repairability. That is what they were judging right?

What I don't want to see is people using that metric to claim that it's also not recyclable or that "Apple does care about Mac people" (insert Kanye West meme).
  • Reply 49 of 135
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

http://www.apple.com/recycling/

I'm taking my old iMac to my neighborhood Apple Store for recycling..They're giving me a $163 gift card for my troubles.

You could also put it to good use and donate it to a local charity for a tax deduction.

• Reply 50 of 135
    lazollazol Posts: 20member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151205/apple-defends-decision-to-withdraw-from-epeat-certification#post_2144521"]
    You should never give any money to beggars. It's also illegal to do so in certain places. I don't give a dime to any beggars ever, no matter what.

Now, you can be really proud of yourself!
  • Reply 51 of 135
  • Reply 52 of 135
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It has nothing to do with politics. I've followed Apple for a long time, and I bet that most people never thought that they'd ever release a machine that was that cheap.

I can understand people saying that $4,000 - $5,000 is not too affordable, but $599 does not fall into that category. I don't want Apple's products to get too cheap, because then they're going to start skimping on features and quality, like everybody else does. If somebody can't afford a Mac, then too bad, either start saving up, or buy some bottom of the barrel PC. You get what you pay for.

There's nothing wrong with you refuting the expense of a Mac Mini. But this: " If somebody can't afford that, then maybe they should work a little harder" was self-opinionated, arrogant, elitist, ignorant and simply unnecessary - qualities that seem to be inherent to many of your posts, from what I've seen.

• Reply 53 of 135
    lazollazol Posts: 20member
    sflocal wrote: »
    I can't located the article anymore, but here in San Francisco there was a homeless man arrested years ago for sleeping on Market Street and refusing to leave.  To the surprise of the police officers, the homeless man refused to leave because he didn't want to leave his brand-new Harley Davidson motorcycle unattended.  After a lengthy discussion with the homeless man to determine how he has come to own what was a very expensive motorcycle, it turns out the prolific panhandler saved all of the money he collected on the streets over the years to purchase the motorcycle.

He didn't use the money to better himself, get off the streets, etc... he used the money given to him by the generosity of other people (under false pretense) to buy a luxury item he never should have purchased.  Instead, my city (and my taxes) continued to provide support him and his lifestyle.

After reading that article, I decided to not give any more money to homeless folks, and I don't regret it at all.  Like everything else, leave it to the 1% to ruin it for everyone else.

If I have formed my opinion, regarding US citizens based on the 1% who ruins it for everyone else, would you accept it as the right opinion?
  • Reply 54 of 135
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You mean there's more to environmental responsibility than how easy it is for a Neanderthal with a screwdriver to disassemble an old laptop for recycling? No. That's the only measure of environmental responsibility. Let's hate Apple.

Don't hate Neanderthals. ;)

• Reply 55 of 135
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

This statement by Apple is just PR spin. It provides no inisight and only indicates that Apple feels its already doing enough.

But the sheep won't care.

I hope the education market takes note of this change and further abandons Apple.

Every SINGLE one of your 27 posts on this forum is Apple bashing, so I don't think anyone here gives a shit about what you consider insightful or not, as you're clealry not someone who cares a smidgeon about objectivity. You're a troll, a pathetic one at that, and it's sad that you blanket everyone here for being 'sheep', while you think you're some kind of original, independent thinker with your Apple hating. It's not original, it's not new, and it reflects extremely badly on you, since you choose to spend your time spewing vitriol about a company on a fansite. There's many things/companies I dislike, but not once have I made the effort to go on fansites of said companies solely for the reason of trolling, and I can't think of a more useless way to spend one's time. 

• Reply 56 of 135
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    This statement by Apple is just PR spin. It provides no inisight and only indicates that Apple feels its already doing enough.
    I hope the education market takes note of this change and further abandons Apple.

On the contrary, Apple are doing more and hopefully the standards will be expanded.
  • Reply 57 of 135
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    lazol wrote: »
    If I have formed my opinion, regarding US citizens based on the 1% who ruins it for everyone else, would you accept it as the right opinion?

Sadly, this is the prevailing attitude in the US- It's someone else's fault... I got mine, why didn't you get yours... You must be lazy etc. imo alot of this tribal thinking is based on anecdotal news reports or Internet email chains that are out right false or at a minimum do not reflect the complete or overall reality (whether liberal or conservative points of view). Sigh. When it comes to politics(I suppose this is true in most places) objective critical fact finding, thinking, analysis is pretty piss poor.

Back to our story... Yes Apple says they do a lot for the environment... How that truly compares to what others...say dell or Samsung does, I do not know. Don't a lot of these company's use Foxconn? Does Foxconn have a supposedly environmentally friendly factory for Apple, then dump toxic crap for the others? Apple did say they forced changes in manufacturing processes. How good is Apples recycleability compared to others? Hmmmm. Need more fact finding, critical analysis etc. :)
  • Reply 58 of 135
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member

Quote:

The point I was attempting to make which has obviously fallen on deaf ears in your case is that you can't go around telling people to work harder or to do this or never do this with their money. That is self righteous BS. You are completely over the line in almost every one of your comments in terms of judging other people and ridiculing those less fortunate. You exemplify everything I dispise in human nature and with respect to your post history it doesn't matter how pro-Apple you are, I still find you an obnoxious, dspicable human and I may be giving you too much credit in that last classification.

Hmm, it seems to me he is just honest and clear.

You may not like his opinion and may not like it that he is honest and clear but that doesn't make it right - in my opinion - to attack him as a person like you do.

J.

• Reply 59 of 135
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

You can engage an ambulance chasing lawyer to take Apple to court to make them tell the truth since you said it is PR spin.

• Reply 60 of 135
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Why are all your replies so politically charged? Apparently you are oblivious to the world around you. Everything you write seems to be centered on your extreme self righteousness. You remind me of a NY banker walking down the street who tells a disabled beggar to get a job instead of donating a quarter.

I just IM'd Instant Karma he's coming to get you.

It would be better for the beggar to get a job because it will feed him forever but a quarter (can a quarter get a meal nowadays?) will feed him once.

Calm down, this is a forum to express his or her opinion. We may agree or disagree but at the end of the day we'll do what is best for ourself, our family and society.

Yes sheep like me will buy Apple products why, like someone said I have no opinion, but I like well designed products that just work.