Apple defends decision to withdraw from EPEAT certification

Comments

• Reply 61 of 135
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

That is apple's preference to do what they want.

• Reply 62 of 135
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

And the true believers will swallow this statement from Apple's PR department. Hook, line, and sinker.

How exactly is this JUST a PR statement when their website actually contains everything they've mentioned and has for a long time now? Furthermore, it was Apple's decision to remove their products, not the governments, so it's fair to say that Apple's statements are more than likely TRUE. And this has nothing to do with being a fan, iSheep or whatever anyone else wants to call it, it has to do with integrity. Apple has done nothing to show that they aren't being sincere. While most companies that scored high on Greenpeace's list gave nothing more than lip service, Apple has been extremely transparent in what they've actually done environmentally. 

• Reply 63 of 135
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

It is absolutely not acceptable, in a world with finite resources, for a company to settle on a business model where they make products that are disposable that cannot be economically recycled.

What are you talking about? Because Apple glued batteries to the inside of a case the computer it is no longer "economically recyclable"? Do you know how difficult it is to recycle batteries from Apple's current laptops? Those neat little bricks that easily pop in and out of laptops have to be BROKEN apart to remove the batteries from their enclosures. How exactly is this any easier or economical than scraping the battery from the inside of a case?

• Reply 64 of 135
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A Mac Mini is $599, that's dirt cheap. If somebody can't afford that, then maybe they should work a little harder. 

For some reason Apple fans, especially on these forums it seems, can be some of the nastiest and most venomous people on the internet. (and that's saying something)

Many people have multiple jobs and struggle to feed their children while paying for ever rising food and fuel costs. They can barely afford clothes for their kids, let alone expensive Apple computers. 

Now grow up and stop spouting such infantile sewage.

• Reply 65 of 135
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

For some reason Apple fans, especially on these forums it seems, can be some of the nastiest and most venomous people on the internet. (and that's saying something)

Many people have multiple jobs and struggle to feed their children while paying for ever rising food and fuel costs. They can barely afford clothes for their kids, let alone expensive Apple computers. 

Now grow up and stop spouting such infantile sewage.

what an ignorant, useless comment.

what does that have to do with him being an apple fan? your comment shows nothing more than stupid stereotyping and should be seen as sh*t.

the way he sees the world has nothing to do with apple, microsoft or google (unless he defends the copycats and stealing/hypocrisy). But your comment is proof that we can define people when they come to companyX fan site to bash it and it's posters.

• Reply 66 of 135
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

This statement by Apple is just PR spin. It provides no inisight and only indicates that Apple feels its already doing enough.

But the sheep won't care.

I hope the education market takes note of this change and further abandons Apple.

Then please, enlighten me on how they are doing worse than any of the alternatives to Apple. Please tell me how HP, Dell, Samsung, Sony, ASUS, or anybody else is doing better than Apple when it comes to environmentally-friendly products, processes, and services. I'll enjoy watching the spin.

• Reply 67 of 135
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151205/apple-defends-decision-to-withdraw-from-epeat-certification#post_2144521"]
    You should never give any money to beggars. It's also illegal to do so in certain places. I don't give a dime to any beggars ever, no matter what.

I would have expected that your reaction would be civil disobedience, you're letting government tell you what to do with your money.
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151205/apple-defends-decision-to-withdraw-from-epeat-certification#post_2144556"]My usage of that particular word was obviously intended in an ironic and humorous way. I know that I don't come across as humble on this forum, but in real life, I am a pretty nice guy most of the time, unless somebody is my foe.

To be honest, it seems like all the time around here. You strike me as a highly opinionated and likely hostile person.
  • Reply 68 of 135
    macmadmacmad Posts: 62member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You should never give any money to beggars. It's also illegal to do so in certain places. I don't give a dime to any beggars ever, no matter what.

I hope that your circumstances in life never change to the point where you find yourself homeless - if you live somewhere populated with people who have the same attitude as you.... you will go cold and hungry.

A year or so ago I was chatting to a guy on a camera forum, and it turned out that guy was the singer Seal. He was talking about shelling out a large sum of money for a camera and was being criticized for it (by people who perhaps didn't know just how much money the man has in the bank image). He spoke about his take on spending the money, and pointed out in the conversation that when he was young he'd left home (due to a violent father, I think) and had need to live rough on the streets. 

He then got a lucky break. That's how he described his success. Based on someone reaching out to give a guy with nothing, a chance.

• Reply 69 of 135
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This statement by Apple is just PR spin. It provides no inisight and only indicates that Apple feels its already doing enough.
    But the sheep won't care.
    I hope the education market takes note of this change and further abandons Apple.
    You know when you use words like "sheep" you make everything else you say irrelevant. Why don't you go troll somewhere else. I'm sure C|Net or Engadget would love to have you.
  • Reply 70 of 135

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

I didn't see anything in the statement which  explained why they pulled out of EPEAT.  No reasons were given.

• Reply 71 of 135

The MacMini compared to other Apple computers is affordable but I don't think we can say it's cheap. When there are lot of countries in Europe (we don't have to talk about China) where people earn around 600$ monthly even doctors... than its a lot of money. With taxes the MacMini is around 750$, 13" Macbook Pro starts at 1550$, Retina Macbook Pro starts at 3100$... We can say its really cheap if we talk about 5000$/month, but not with 600$/month.

So prices are relative.

• Reply 72 of 135

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

I disagree with you regarding recycling, but I agree with you here. $599 is cheap. Very cheap if you understand what it's buying. 

For $599, there are quad-core i7 machines with 8 gigs of RAM available.  The Mini is the most overpriced item in the the entire Mac lineup.

• Reply 73 of 135
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    For $599, there are quad-core i7 machines with 8 gigs of RAM available.  The Mini is the most overpriced item in the the entire Mac lineup.

I thought you were above mindless trolling with directly-spoken lies, Zazzles.

You embarrass yourself and you embarrass all your past lives.
  • Reply 74 of 135

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Not so fast... you show me proof that that Apple is contributing to millions of pounds of aluminum being thrown away. 

That would be crazy.  Apple sells the scrap aluminum at a profit.  My guess is that they also extract the gold and any other valuable materials.

It is profitable to recycle.  The town I used to live in used to receive a net income of over a million dollars a year from the company they contracted with to cart our recyclables away.  That was in addition to the savings they realized from not having to collect them with the trash and dispose of them in landfills.

• Reply 75 of 135

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I thought you were above mindless trolling with directly-spoken lies, Zazzles.

You embarrass yourself and you embarrass all your past lives.

Please identify a single lie in what I said.  Or else retract your insult.

• Reply 76 of 135
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

I can understand withdrawing future models from EPEAT certification, but why would Apple withdraw all of the computers that had already passed?  It seems like they're just shooting themselves in the foot for no real reason.  While they wouldn't be able to sell future models of their PC products, they could still make some money on what was already certified.

• Reply 77 of 135
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Every SINGLE one of your 27 posts on this forum is Apple bashing, so I don't think anyone here gives a shit about what you consider insightful or not, as you're clealry not someone who cares a smidgeon about objectivity. You're a troll, a pathetic one at that, and it's sad that you blanket everyone here for being 'sheep', while you think you're some kind of original, independent thinker with your Apple hating. It's not original, it's not new, and it reflects extremely badly on you, since you choose to spend your time spewing vitriol about a company on a fansite. There's many things/companies I dislike, but not once have I made the effort to go on fansites of said companies solely for the reason of trolling, and I can't think of a more useless way to spend one's time. 

Totally agree with you about the general content of all the LizSanford posts. I checked them out as well and came to the same conclusion.
  • Reply 78 of 135

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

I can understand withdrawing future models from EPEAT certification, but why would Apple withdraw all of the computers that had already passed?  It seems like they're just shooting themselves in the foot for no real reason.  While they wouldn't be able to sell future models of their PC products, they could still make some money on what was already certified.

My take is that it is a PR thing.  Apple said that their manufacturing processes will diverge from the EPEAT requirements in the future.  So instead of new products being non-certified, with drips and dribbles of bad publicity, they simply did it all at once.

• Reply 79 of 135
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    If the standards need to be updated, then Apple should propose they be updated.

For all we know, they did. And the EPEAT board said no, they feel the standards are fine. So Apple choose to withdraw.

Also, what about everyone else. Where are the demands to know every last detail about Dell, HP, Microsoft and whether they fit to any standards much less a particular one.
  • Reply 80 of 135
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    patranus wrote: »

You could also put it to good use and donate it to a local charity for a tax deduction.

Depending on old it is, they won't take it. Either because it's not usable without added expense or it is so old there is a likelihood it won't sell. VHS tapes for example. My local library won't even take them because they don't get borrowed and Goodwill etc sees them collect dust for a year. And then both places just toss them in the trash.

In old and basically dead iMac is the same game. But Apple might see a little value in harvesting copper etc out of it to use in new machines.