Apple CEO Tim Cook appears at Sun Valley media event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple CEO Tim Cook was spotted on Wednesday at an annual retreat intended to bring together technology industry leaders and marks the first time the low-profile executive has attended the event.

According to a report from the New York Post, Cook surprised attendees of Allen & Co.'s annual retreat in Sun Valley, Idaho to sit in on a session titled "Iran vs. Israel." While Cook's name was on the list it was unknown if the Apple chief would make an appearance as he has never made an appearance in the past.

There has been speculation as to why Cook decided to attend this year's event and when the Post asked if he intended to strike possible entertainment deals the executive replied, "we are talking to a lot of people here."

Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs had attended the retreat in the past but hadn't done so in a number of years.

When Cook was pressed for more targeted as to whether his presence was somehow associated with an as yet unannounced Apple HDTV he said, "I can't tell you that."

Tim Cook
Apple CEO Tim Cook at the annual Allen & Co. retreat. | Source: Business Insider

Also attending this year's retreat are industry heavyweights such as News Corp.'s Rupert Murdoch, Disney CEO Bob Eiger and investing mogul Warren Buffett. Cook is scheduled to meet with some of the high-powered entertainment executives though the purpose of the meetings have not been made public.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Well, yeah, Apple has an interest in being there.

iRan vs. iSrael, after all.

[QUOTE]When Cook was pressed for more targeted as to whether his presence was somehow associated with an as yet unannounced Apple HDTV he said, "I can?t tell you that.?[/QUOTE]

What kind of worthless idiotic question is that?! Not only is every other company in this industry without intelligence, the reporters thereof are eve–well, we knew that already…
  • Reply 2 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Cook was pressed for more targeted as to whether his presence was somehow associated with an as yet unannounced Apple HDTV he said, "I can?t tell you that.?

Is it just me or do some characters wrongly show up as "?" question marks in the quoted post? I've noticed that a few times lately in different threads.

Is the OP typing on a windows machine or something? That would be blasphemy.

I wish there was a video of this event. I would like to hear what Tim Cook has to say about Iran VS Israel.

• Reply 3 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Is it just me or do some characters wrongly show up as "?" question marks in the quoted post? I've noticed that a few times lately in different threads.

Is the OP typing on a windows machine or something? That would be blasphemy.

I wish there was a video of this event. I would like to hear what Tim Cook has to say about Iran VS Israel.

^ I'm using an OS/2 machine, so eff everybody.

• Reply 4 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Maybe you'd have more luck with a punch card.

• Reply 5 of 17
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Are you posting from an ATM?

• Reply 6 of 17
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    <vc><strong>
    When Cook was pressed for more targeted as to whether his presence was somehow associated with an as yet unannounced Apple HDTV he said, "I can?t tell you that.?

</strong>Pressed for more targeted as? AI, we got some serious grammatical issues here. Also, why would Cook sitting in some session about Israel vs Iran indicate that an HDTV is in the works?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    </strong>Pressed for more targeted as? AI, we got some serious grammatical issues here. Also, why would Cook sitting in some session about Israel vs Iran indicate that an HDTV is in the works?

Isn't it obvious? Because EVERYTHING on the planet is evidence that there's an HDTV in the works. It's like reading tea leaves. You can make them say whatever you want them to say.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I can't picture Steve Jobs at that event, wearing a hideously oversized name tag that reads "Steve Jobs." Really. Steve is Steve. He doesn't need a name tag, any more than he needs a license tag on his AMG.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    gumashowgumashow Posts: 70member
    The grammar and awkward writing by the people who write these articles is horrendous. Been this way for years. I don't post much but boy, what a gibberish mess this article is. Does anyone proof-read this stuff. I'm a writer and trust me -- less is more. Or even correct grammar would be appreciated if you wanna fluff the piece.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumashow View Post

The grammar and awkward writing by the people who write these articles is horrendous. Been this way for years. I don't post much but boy, what a gibberish mess this article is. Does anyone proof-read this stuff. I'm a writer and trust me -- less is more. Or even correct grammar would be appreciated if you wanna fluff the piece.

I agree that it's embarrassing and awkward, really. Some of us gave up a long while ago, on the issue of AI getting its grammar, punctuation, and spelling right. You'd think that, by now, they might have hired a halfway decent copy editor or something.....

• Reply 11 of 17
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree that it's embarrassing and awkward, really. Some of us gave up a long while ago, on the issue of AI getting its grammar, punctuation, and spelling right. You'd think that, by now, they might have hired a halfway decent copy editor or something.....

If you are going to be a pouty little fan boi about it, go visit GrammarInsider or Punctuation Rumors.  

Did you really imagine that any of the news or rumor sites were run by professionals with a background in either computer science or journalism?   99% of them are run by people who probably can't even get a job at an Apple store.  Their big score is to hope a drunk Apple employee leaves a iPhone prototype at a bar in Cupertino.  

What is amazing is that some of them actually make a decent living at it.  That is because what I would call the "Internet Theory of Large Numbers".   There are just so many idiots out there on the Internet clicking away generating web hits that a sizable amount of money can be generated through web ads.  There are housewives who can barely turn on a computer who make decent money running blogs about diapers and baby food.  If they can generate a flame war between the cloth diaper fan moms and the disposal diaper fan moms,  they might make enough money this month to pay for a new wand vibrator and a copy of 50 Shades of Grey.

So get over it and get over yourself.  

Besides, everyone knows the reason Tim Cook was at the media event was to steal Warren Buffet's french fries when he wasn't looking. 

• Reply 12 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    msimpson wrote: »
    If you are going to be a pouty little fan boi about it, go visit GrammarInsider or Punctuation Rumors.

Right, uh… calm yourself…
    Besides, everyone knows the reason Tim Cook was at the media event was to steal Warren Buffet's french fries when he wasn't looking. 

Okay, before I accept this as continuing, has there ever been anything anywhere where Tim Cook has mentioned a preference for french fries?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Hate to sound like a scratched CD, but the grammar in this article is absolutely terrible. I understand this place isn't run by professions, but this is just plain silly.

• Reply 14 of 17
    To scratch the record some more -- making sense in your story shouldn't be so hard. I know lazy when I see. It's lazy, sloppy writing -- period. And I'm only bringing it up because it is frustrating to read a lot of he times. Get a HS intern to proof-read.... It's insulting to the reader and REALLY insulting to the companies that advertise on the site. Have some pride in your authorship or don't be in the blog business. Fix tires or something that doesn't require communication with thousands of people daily. Ok, the record finally broke.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Did a monkey write this piece?

Actually, let me take that back. -- No need to be unfairly offending monkeys.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    I can't picture Steve Jobs at that event, wearing a hideously oversized name tag that reads "Steve Jobs." Really. Steve is Steve. He doesn't need a name tag, any more than he needs a license tag on his AMG.

Oh yes, Steve wouldn't wear something like that. Oh wait, here's a picture of him in a suit, tie and name tag in 2007. Steve was watching his buddy Al Gore receive the Nobel Peace Prize for inventing the Internet or inventing Global Warming - one of the two.

• Reply 17 of 17
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    freshmaker wrote: »
    Are you posting from an ATM?

I was going to ask him why he was posting from a Pbx.