Can i use iphone without service?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have been with tmobile for over 2 years. I like the month to month plans they offer. They may be providing service for iphone in 2013.

Might sound like a weird question but could i buy an iphone in the fall straight from apple and simply use it like an ipod touch until im ready to get service? It would replace my ipod touch i use now and my existing phone can hold me over until im ready to get service for the iphone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Yes, you have to jailbreak.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Why would i have to jailbreak it to simply use it like an ipod touch?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Why would i have to jailbreak it to simply use it like an ipod touch?

Because it doesn't work at all until you activate on the cell network. You don't want to do this, so you have to jailbreak to get around that.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    So if i ever had service for it and then disconnected my service, the phone would be an absolutely useless paperweight?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    So if i ever had service for it and then disconnected my service, the phone would be an absolutely useless paperweight?

Nope, once it's activated it will work just fine without a SIM, but the initial status locks it for all calls save 911 until it has gone through activation. Provided that hasn't changed recently, of course.

I think that even holds true for the unlocked models.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    So before i activate it i cant even get to the homescreen or download apps. And getting service for it activates it at which point i could stop service and just use it as a wifi device temporarily if i wanted to, until i got service again.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    So before i activate it i can't even get to the home screen or download apps.

Right. As far as I know still. I'm pretty sure that's the case.
    And getting service for it activates it at which point i could stop service and just use it as a wifi device temporarily if i wanted to, until i got service again.

Right, but you're paying for the service during the time you're using the phone without it, so.
  • Reply 8 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, but you're paying for the service during the time you're using the phone without it, so.

I only ask that because even virgin mobile is going to provide service for the iphone now, and they also have month to month options instead of a contract, like tmobile. So i could get it activated through virgin mobile, pay for a month or so, stop my service, and have an activated and usable iphone without phone service. Continue using my android device with normal tmobile service, then take my iphone to tmobile in 2013 to get my normal month to month service moved over from my android device to my iphone.

This is all just so i can sell my ipod touch and get the iphone purchase out of the way early to eventually use on my regular month to month tmobile service.

• Reply 9 of 23
    So i could get it activated through virgin mobile, pay for a month or so, stop my service, and have an activated and usable iPhone without phone service.

Absolutely!
    Continue using my android device with normal tmobile service, then take my iPhone to tmobile in 2013 to get my normal month to month service moved over from my android device to my iPhone.

Yep, that'll work just fine. It's just the initial activation that stops you from using it, not any subsequent gap in service.
    This is all just so i can sell my iPod touch and get the iPhone purchase out of the way early to eventually use on my regular month to month tmobile service.

You don't want to do that just yet (new iPhone in October), unless the parenthesized is what you meant. In which case go for it!
  • Reply 10 of 23

Yep I'm waiting for the iPhone 5 in October at which point I'll sell my iPod Touch and get the iPhone straight from apple (costly I know). The month to month has been invaluable to me over the last couple of years because of the freedom and security it provides me and my financial situations and budgets. I know most people scoff at Tmobile but I haven't had a single hiccup and good voice and data service(3G) for 2.5 years on my aging N1. I'm ready for the iPhone based on how much I enjoy my iPod Touch though. Thanks a TON for the info!

• Reply 11 of 23

Quote:

That would void the warranty right?

I thought the simple answer will be to put the phone in airplane mode. That would eliminate the need to check for the sim.

The unlocked models I have seen doesn't need a sim. They were able to demonstrate its offline features just fine.

• Reply 12 of 23
    That would void the warranty right?

Only if you take it in to Apple with it jailbroken and manage to bungle it enough beyond that that they get the serial number written down. Otherwise, no, just restore and pop!
    The unlocked models I have seen doesn't need a sim. They were able to demonstrate its offline features just fine.

Before EVER being activated? Straight out of the box?
  • Reply 13 of 23

Is it possible to use the phone without subscribing to a data plan?

http://www.sivanandabahamas.org

• Reply 14 of 23
    Is it possible to use the phone without subscribing to a data plan?

Yes, but not on a carrier that has proper iPhone plans. You'd have to go to a carrier from whom you can't buy an iPhone to get one without data. At least in the US.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Actually no, you don't. 

You would have to buy it full price however. And if you are going to do that then of course you'd want to buy it factory unlocked. Which then means you could use it with TMobile although data might be restricted to EDGE still (depending on the details of the chipsets etc). But the wifi etc will work just fine as 'an iPod touch'

You will have to have a sim card in the tray and yes it might give you a few headaches for a couple of minutes until you get to the proper screens to put it in airplane mode and turn on the wifi. but it can be done just fine (for the record I used a cut sim as a dummy in the tray). I've done it several times in the past year with co-workers that were coming here for a few weeks and fine with just skyping everyone on wifi rather than starting a contract they wouldn't be around long enough to come close to finishing. Then they took their iPhone home to New Zealand etc and got service for it. 

• Reply 16 of 23
    [quote name="charlituna" url="/t/151239/can-i-use-iphone-without-service#post_2147594"]Actually no, you don't. 

You would have to buy it full price however. And if you are going to do that then of course you'd want to buy it factory unlocked. Which then means you could use it with TMobile although data might be restricted to EDGE still (depending on the details of the chipsets etc). But the wifi etc will work just fine as 'an iPod touch'.

You will have to have a sim card in the tray and yes it might give you a few headaches for a couple of minutes until you get to the proper screens to put it in airplane mode and turn on the wifi. but it can be done just fine (for the record I used a cut sim as a dummy in the tray).[/QUOTE]

You're confirming here that a factory-unlocked iPhone straight out of the box will work without first activating it?
  • Reply 17 of 23

Well you need to jail break it other wise it does not work out. You should buy it factory unlocked which provides the accessibility to use with the Tmobile.

• Reply 18 of 23

Quote:

Nope, once it's activated it will work just fine without a SIM, but the initial status locks it for all calls save 911 until it has gone through activation. Provided that hasn't changed recently, of course.

I think that even holds true for the unlocked models.

Maybe you should get a SIM to activate it.image

• Reply 19 of 23

Wi-fi doesn't work without unlocking sim???

• Reply 20 of 23

Originally Posted by applephil View Post

Wi-fi doesn't work without unlocking sim???

No, it's fine. You don't unlock a SIM.