2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Actually, it can drive video to 3 external monitors.

It does not power them.

Semantics make the world go 'round. 

My car is powered by a 2.0L Turbo Charger Engine. No wait.. my car is powered by fossil fuels. No wait.. my car is powered by a series of precisely timed tiny explosions. No wait.. my car is powered by the transfer of torque from the power train to the wheels. No wait...

I work with POWER Systems (http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/?lnk=mhpr) which gets confusing when talking about power - need to be careful when using the term "power" depending on whether you are referring to the system type, or the POWER processor or the electrical consumption. Even when a customer wants to know what the power requirements of a system are they could mean the plug types required or they could mean the amount of current drawn or they could mean the watts required (or VA) from the UPS to which it will be attached. 

Did anyone else notice the Flashback Malware Removal item not that Software Update screenshot? is that part of 10.8?

• Reply 22 of 35
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Pfft. I used to have a Macintosh IIcx with five (count 'em) FIVE monitors attached to it. NuBus slots rocked.

Those were the days!  I still have my Quadra 700!  Still, these days are better! :)

• Reply 23 of 35
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member

Thanks BlueVoid for the tip on Lagom.

• Yikes, is the uniformity of these new retina panels really as bad as in the picture? There's a clear red->green shift from top to bottom. Approximately 50% of the 10 or so Cinema/Thunderbolt displays I've used have similar issues (either vertically or horizontally, it's par for the course with IPS LCDs) but it seems especially bad here. Guess I'll have to head over to the Apple store and pull up lagom's tests on them.

Thanks for the Lagom website.  I'm coming to the end of my 3-year Applecare on my 27" iMac (we ordered the day after they were announced in Nov 2009).  The LCD has some vague grey-ish areas near the top-center.  About the area of a deck of cards, spread out over a curved area.

The appearance is as if it needs to be cleaned in those splotchy areas, but of course cleaning doesn't help.

As if the brightness is 50% in those hazy regions.  Most notable when showing white or grey of course.

I'm not sure if they'd show under the bright lights of a genius-bar setting after lugging the 30 lb thing in.  I know Apple has great service but I'm nervous about them not SEEING the issue, and not wanting to respond to it.

Perhaps some of the test-images at Lagom can be photographed or something.  My previous attempts to take iPhone pix of an LCD with a fuzzy area weren't exactly definitive.

Thanks!

• Reply 24 of 35
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Is the non-retina one still limited to two? I guess the TB controller limit would stop it from using all the displays the GPU can.

Just fyi though my three year old laptop can run three 1920x1080 displays (counting its own) and run separate videos at native on all of them, just a Core 2 Duo/4570.  Yes Retina has more pixels, but video playback is independant of screen resolution, and they have an extra display but it's been three years. And the 650m has native four display support on any platform. So it's good to know Apple didn't limit this in some way, but it's not crazy impressive.

Also I still hate how Lion handles multiple monitors...I hear that's improved in ML?

• Reply 25 of 35

macbookpromonitors-120620.jpg

What good is having 4 monitors if they all show the same image?

Edit:  The external monitors don't seem to show all the screen elements, but only show the wallpaper.    And are the images on the external monitors stretched vertically?  WTF?

And why are the colors different on the different monitors?  Are they miscalibrated?

• Reply 26 of 35
    tshorttshort Posts: 46member

Couldn't they have taken a picture of the Display properties page?

• Reply 27 of 35
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    LL

Edit:  The external monitors don't seem to show all the screen elements, but only show the wallpaper.  WTF?

And why are the colors different on the different monitors?  Are they miscalibrated?

It probably works the same way that external monitors have always worked on Mac OS. You can move individual apps and windows to the other monitors. So you could put Photoshop on one monitor, Safari on another, etc.
  • Reply 28 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I don't have this problem with my late 2009 27" iMac. Still, it's the only large display that I've spent time on. Were those 10 displays all later model, Thunderbolt models?

It shouldn't matter; the 27" iMacs, LED Cinema Displays and Thunderbolt Displays all use the same LG panel. Unfortunately LCD technology is still pretty variable in terms of yeild/quality control. Still, it's pretty damn impressive that we're getting super-thin IPS panels on notebooks, regardless of resolution. Apple really is the only one pushing hardware forward in this regard. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

Thanks for the Lagom website.  I'm coming to the end of my 3-year Applecare on my 27" iMac (we ordered the day after they were announced in Nov 2009).  The LCD has some vague grey-ish areas near the top-center.  About the area of a deck of cards, spread out over a curved area.

The appearance is as if it needs to be cleaned in those splotchy areas, but of course cleaning doesn't help.

Hmmm, without seeing it, what you describe sounds like some imperfections in the light spreader layer behind the panel itself. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they were there the whole time. LCD test images are going to reveal imperfections that aren't normally noticeable (especially grey patterns, which will make any vertical or horizontal color shifts really easy to spot) so it comes down to whether the problem is noticeable in normal use. If you can make the "genius" see the issue, and tell him/her that you notice it with normal use, they're typically pretty good about making you happy. They may be a bit more strict with iMacs vs. just displays, though.

• Reply 29 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Edit:  The external monitors don't seem to show all the screen elements, but only show the wallpaper.    And are the images on the external monitors stretched vertically?  WTF?

Look for more than half a second, Conrad, and you'll see that it's extending the display. Apparently you've never heard of this concept. You see, you plug in a second monitor… and it gives you more desktop space.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Pfft. I used to have a Macintosh IIcx with five (count 'em) FIVE monitors attached to it. NuBus slots rocked.

Clearly the IIcx was the best notebook Apple ever made. image

-kpluck

• Reply 31 of 35

I have a Retina MacBook Pro, a Samsung TV, two 27" iMacs, one Thunderbolt and one pre-Thunderbolt.

Before I rush out to buy a bunch of incredibly overpriced cables, can I replicate this experiment including the MiniDisplayPort display or do both iMacs need to be Thunderbolt?

D

• Reply 32 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

As if the brightness is 50% in those hazy regions.  Most notable when showing white or grey of course.

I'm not sure if they'd show under the bright lights of a genius-bar setting after lugging the 30 lb thing in.  I know Apple has great service but I'm nervous about them not SEEING the issue, and not wanting to respond to it.

Perhaps some of the test-images at Lagom can be photographed or something.  My previous attempts to take iPhone pix of an LCD with a fuzzy area weren't exactly definitive.

Thanks!

I had the monitor on my 27" iMac replaced for free even after my warranty had expired due to the exact same problem.  Its a known issue with the early 27" LCD panels.  Take it in, they'll put a new LCD panel in for free.

• Reply 33 of 35
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

It shouldn't matter; the 27" iMacs, LED Cinema Displays and Thunderbolt Displays all use the same LG panel. Unfortunately LCD technology is still pretty variable in terms of yeild/quality control. Still, it's pretty damn impressive that we're getting super-thin IPS panels on notebooks, regardless of resolution. Apple really is the only one pushing hardware forward in this regard. 

That's not actually true. You're just not paying attention. 1920x1080 displays have become far more common in notebooks over the past year, and adoption of IPS displays has increased, especially among ultrabooks. This preceded the rMBP. IPS panels were quite expensive a few years ago, but Apple didn't use them in notebooks at that time either. Now 1920x1080 isn't the same as what Apple put out recently, but it's higher than they were two or three years ago. In Apple's case they can reliably move bleeding edge technology, but this doesn't mean the others are just running in place.

• Reply 34 of 35
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

According to Anandtech even just driving it's own display it struggles to scroll web pages at 30fps...With two, three or four monitors I can only imagine that would be much worse. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/8

• Reply 35 of 35
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member

Just got my rMBP and tried it with two external monitors.  Everything works great on it and I don't know why people are saying the scrolling is slow - it is perfectly smooth to me even with two monitors plugged in.  One note is that you have to be running on the discrete Nvidia card to drive the external monitors.  It automatically switches for you, but if you force it to use the Intel integrated card, it will only support the internal screen.  You can get control over which graphics card using gfxCardStatus.