News Corp's money losing 'The Daily' put 'on watch' - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
News Corporation's tablet and smartphone-only publication The Daily, which first debuted on Apple's iPad, has reportedly been put "on watch" as its parent company restructures and looks to cut costs.

The details come from "internal rumors" at News Corp., according to the New York Observer, which reported this week that the status of The Daily will be reassessed after the U.S. elections on Nov. 6. The iPad-centric tabloid was said to be losing $30 million a year in its current state.

The Daily debuted on the iPad in early 2011, and brought about in-app subscriptions on Apple's iOS App Store. The digital-only publication costs 99 cents per week, or $39.99 per year, and covers hard news, business, Hollywood gossip, sports, technology and more.

Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services, was on-hand with News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch in 2011 to unveil and launch The Daily for iPad. He said it was "incredible" that a publication of its kind, with interactive features and exclusive content, could be produced on a daily basis for the iPad.

The Daily remained exclusive to Apple's iPad for a year, before debuting early this year to some Android-powered tablets, such as the Galaxy Tab 10.1. The publication also debuted on Apple's iPhone with a cheaper subscription option of $19.99 per year in May.

The Daily

Since its launch, The Daily has been the source of some Apple-related rumors and scoops, most notably a claim that a version of Microsoft Office is coming to the iPad. While the publication even showed a screenshot of Office for iPad and claimed it was completed, it has yet to be released, with a Nov. 10 launch date reportedly set.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member

Is it just me? Why pay for on-line news subscriptions services?

• Reply 2 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Yeah, dinosaur sex. We really want to see that. Thanks, AI.

[SIZE=7]????[/SIZE]

And of course when this goes under, it will be heralded as the iPad's failure. The iPad has failed, otherwise this magazine would have succeeded. And then everyone will pull their magazines from the iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    ????
    And of course when this goes under, it will be heralded as the iPad's failure. The iPad has failed, otherwise this magazine would have succeeded. And then everyone will pull their magazines from the iPad.

Kate Upton. :D

Nuff said.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Kate Upton. Nuff said.

Might just be me, but I don't find her attractive. I do appreciate her not being an anorexic psych job, however. That's the wrong image to project.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

????

BTW, you and Melgross are two of the best mods AI has ever had.

• Reply 6 of 30
    BTW, you and Melgross are two of the best mods AI has ever had.

Well, thank you!
  • Reply 7 of 30
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

It couldn't possibly be the content which is causing failure -- it must be the medium.

• Reply 8 of 30
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member

Celebrity sex, political smear, dinosaur sex. Yep, that's a News Corp publication all right.

• Reply 9 of 30
    By far one of the most biased right-winged news sources I have ever seen. At one point they had obama shooting rainbows out of his hands as one of their covers.

Not to mention I had to log in 10 times a day before they acknowledged that I did indeed have a subscription with them.

I don't recommend them at all.
  • Reply 10 of 30

I tried the Daily...and although a valiant effort, it was not for me.

I do love my iPad...and I thought I would be getting all my magazines online. I thought it a responsible choice...no paper, no toxic ink, no bleach in the water to make the paper white and no trucks/oil to deliver them.

But I must say, I prefer WSJ, local newspaper, Time, Foreign Affairs, MacWorld, Food & Wine, AZ Hwys, etc. delivered via the mail than on my iPad. 

Sorry.

P.S. Fareed Zakaria's GPS is the most intelligent show on Television, CNN. The Diane Rehm Friday News Roundup (Domestic & International) podcast is the best podcast.  Frontline, Nova are really good too.

Really recommend watching Nova on the Air France 447 disaster, they had it pegged years before the inquires final report! :)

Best

• Reply 11 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ????

I suspect that it's simply a matter of an early adopter who expected profits right off the bat. Some day, much of our information will come from devices like the iPad and print magazines will fade away. Considering that the iPad is only a couple of years old, it's not surprising that we haven't reached critical mass, yet.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

Quote:

Might just be me, but I don't find her attractive. I do appreciate her not being an anorexic psych job, however. That's the wrong image to project.

Do you have a pulse?

• Reply 13 of 30
    kkerst wrote: »
    Do you have a pulse?

Just me, then. :lol:
  • Reply 14 of 30
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

I wouldn't pay a dime to the parent of working class destruction and the home of phone hacking.

Murdoch admits he only became an American citizen to take over our media. Newscorp should be shut down, worldwide.

• Reply 15 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Perhaps the demographic buying iPads don't by enlarge represent the News Corp's ideal target audience. I'd like to think most of us believe the world is not the center of the solar system and has been around longer than 6,000 yrs! I could wrong but I'm hoping.
  • Reply 16 of 30

The right wing slant was a turn off. The smart move would have been the unbiased approach. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone and didn't continue to support this new medium.

• Reply 17 of 30
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member

i enjoyed the daily during my month free trial - very nice on the retina iPad, but i have flipboard to aggregate news, design, tech, style, etc...

fo free.

• Reply 18 of 30
    cabassicabassi Posts: 28member
    I was a regular reader of The Daily for awhile over a few separate time periods. I actually really liked the idea (and was addicted to the crossword puzzle), but yeah, the right-wing slant just kept turning me away.

I really wanted to like it though. Makes me wonder if a more neutral Daily-like magazine could succeed.
  • Reply 19 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirkaloha View Post

The right wing slant was a turn off. The smart move would have been the unbiased approach. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone and didn't continue to support this new medium.

Not only right wing, but also fluff and nothing interesting.  I prefer quality content.  National Geographic really shows off well on the new iPad's retina display.

cabassi
  • Reply 20 of 30
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Is it just me? Why pay for on-line news subscriptions services?

While I thought that, too, a better question is "How much are they spending to bring people this app?"  Losing $30 million?  That's NET after subscription income is deducted!  

How much are they paying their programmers?