Microsoft says Apple's 'post-PC' view is wrong, claims it's a 'PC+' era

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Speaking at the company's Worldwide Partner Conference on Wednesday, Microsoft Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner refuted Apple's "post-PC" view of the current computing industry climate, instead dubbing it a "PC+" era.

Turner admitted that Microsoft and Apple have different approaches to computer operating systems with the Cupertino, Calif. company focusing on a divergence in mobile and desktop solutions, reports The Verge, but claims that the Windows maker has the correct interpretation of what consumers want and need.

"Apple makes great hardware," Turner said. "The reality is in the OS we see things differently. They've talked about it being the post-PC era, they talk about the tablet and PC being different, the reality in our world is that we think that's completely incorrect."

The executive described the "PC+" world as one that uses a unified OS between all devices, as seen in Microsoft's new Surface which will run a complete version of the company's upcoming Windows 8 platform. The stripped-down down ARM-centric Windows RT version of Surface was not mentioned.

"We actually believe Windows 8 is the new era for the PC plus," Turner said. "We believe with a single push of a button you can move seamlessly in and out of both worlds. We believe you can have touch, a pen, a mouse, and a keyboard."

In contrast to Microsoft's ideas late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs famously said: "If you see a stylus, they blew it."

Current Apple CEO Tim Cook's ideas are in line with the Jobs' and sees Microsoft's PC convergence as poorly conceived. During the iPad maker's second quarter conference call, Cook said "you can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but you know, those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user." He went on to explain that while certain aspects of OS X and iOS borrow from each other, tablet and desktop form factors require different software solutions due to how the devices are used by consumers.

PC+
Slide displayed during Turner's speech at Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference. | Source: The Verge

Microsoft is looking to create an ecosystem of products with a best-of-both-worlds approach which is expected to take shape when Windows 8 is released this October. Turner calls the newly-designed operating system a "game changer."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 213
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Is that why YoY PC sales are down?  MS... wrong again.

/

/

/

• Reply 2 of 213
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    They had two extra decades to get Windows on tablets and you've failed. It's also going to take them about 3 additional years after the iPad was [I]launched[/I] to get an ARM-based tablet out the door.

Their philosophy in SW design is much like those sad, creepy people on Hoarders. They simply can't seem to part with any code so they just keep adding things that reduce the user experience. I"ll be shocked if their One device for all uses solution actually works out.
  • Reply 3 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

"Well, then, you truly [I]are[/I] lost!"
  • Reply 4 of 213

Ugh! Watch the clumsy intro to the Surface....I say again, Ugh! :) MS is stuck in the 90's

• Reply 5 of 213
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

I am just reading the article in Vanity Fair "How Microsoft Lost Its Mojo". Looks like they say it has been the 10 year reign of Ballmer is the reason for the "Lost Decade". So here ,Mr. Knows It All,  opens his mouth again. Anyone think we should listen?

• Reply 6 of 213
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Of course it's a PC+ era,

but Apple already called it a Post PC era first.

True or not, it's already been said and it's already been gobbled up.

This is equivalent to a child's enthusiastic "NU-UHH!!!"

and Microsoft is coming in a little late to make it count.

• Reply 7 of 213
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

oh course they see it that way, so did IBM when the PC come onto the stage, they though the PC would be an extension to the Mainframe and they would never disappeared, I know many of you have no clue what a Mainframe is, and you kids in 20 years will no idea what a PC is either.

• Reply 8 of 213
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Has Ballmer commented on whether a tablet is a PC or not? If not I can see that coming once they sell a few ... that will be the moment Apple can give in and agree ... then post the Apple sales data for 'PCs' (Macs + iPads).
  • Reply 9 of 213
    nicolbolasnicolbolas Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They had two extra decades to get Windows on tablets and you've failed. It's also going to take them about 3 additional years after the iPad was launched to get an ARM-based tablet out the door.

Their philosophy in SW design is much like those sad, creepy people on Hoarders. They simply can't seem to part with any code so they just keep adding things that reduce the user experience. I"ll be shocked if their One device for all uses solution actually works out.

Thats not the point.... the point is that the PC is not going away, instead PC's are being supplemented by tablets.

MS is right... its simple, tell me what "PC" stands for.... now tell me what a tablet is... or are tablets not personal?

• Reply 10 of 213
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Absolutely... espcially given that 'some' insist on including iPads sales when quoting Apple's total 'Personal Computers' sold each quarter.

PC+ is a far more accurate description of the current computing landscape.
  • Reply 11 of 213
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member

once again microsoft is reactive, not proactive

• Reply 12 of 213
    In other news: a product manufacturer claims that the future is what their products are compatible with.
  • Reply 13 of 213
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    If that's what Microsoft is focusing into may God save their souls.
  • Reply 14 of 213
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Ballmer was right all this time... no one would EVER spend that much on a Phone!!  *rolls eyes*

Microsoft is basically fighting the last stand at the OK Corral. They are trying to prove to everyone that they are still relevant.

It is a post-PC area.  I don't think PC's will ever really be gone.  They certainly will be still used in the business world, however when consumers get home or are out and about with their lives, it will be mobile/consumer tech and that's where Microsoft is going to be buried 6-feet under.

Microsoft had so many shots and opportunities for decades.  They flopped each time.  How embarrassing.  

• Reply 15 of 213
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nicolbolas wrote: »
    Thats not the point.... the point is that the PC is not going away, instead PC's are being supplemented by tablets.

MS is right...
    The point is MS thinks it can do the same thing its done for decades and still make it work. As quoted, "We believe with a single push of a button you can move seamlessly in and out of both worlds. We believe you can have touch, a pen, a mouse, and a keyboard." The iPhone and iPad work because it was designed from the ground up for the primary I/O with usability in mind, not by saying thinking like a desktop OS.
    its simple, tell me what "PC" stands for.... now tell me what a tablet is... or are tablets not personal?

If you want to say that PC refers to anything that can compute and is personal then I'm all for it. Of course, you should realize that MS has no intention of doing that because their OS and their OEM standings would look considerably worse even when only adding in the iPad. Their goal is the same as its always been as are those that call the iPhone and iPad "toys." It just sounds pathetic and desperate.

PS: Post-PC doesn't mean without PCs, it just means coming after PCs. Steve had it right when he said they would be more like trucks. Desktop PC towers have long since moved into the role.
  • Reply 16 of 213

We believe Apple is wrong and that people do want toasters built into their refrigerators.

It doesn't matter that Apple is the only PC maker experiencing year over year growth.

It doesn't matter that Apple completely dominates the tablet market.

What matters is you believing in the same old song that we keep singing.

Just trust the man below....

Ballmer.jpg

• Reply 17 of 213

It's not a Post-PC...it's a PC+

It's not a car...it's a Buggy+

It's not a lightbulb...it's a Candle+

It's not glass...it's Sand+

heh...this is fun! I should be in marketing. 
  • Reply 18 of 213
    Maybe Microsoft can explain why Windows Tablet PCs haven't been a mainstream hit since the early 1990s.

I used Windows tablets going all the way back to Windows 3.11 running on 386 tablets. They just put a new coat of paint on Windows and the Tablet PC and are trying to convince you it's now PC+?
  • Reply 19 of 213
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    I would like to give Microsoft a benefit of the doubt, but they are really doing it wrong.

Apple phrased "post-PC" after iPad became a huge success. Microsoft, on the other hand, is using "PC+" before delivering results.
  • Reply 20 of 213
    Microsoft is great at compromising. Compromising leads to watered down end products. Case in point: Microsoft's entire history. Until MS decides to take risks, REAL risks, and quit compromising they will always be second tier. Even when they were on top it was with a second tier, inferior product.

No surprises here.