Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a note to investors on Thursday investment bank J.P. Morgan estimated that Samsung moved some 6.5 million Galaxy S III units over the second quarter of 2012 making it one of the world's most popular handsets and a legitimate iPhone contender.

Analysts went on to write (via Slash Gear)that unit sales of Samsung's latest smartphone could reach 15 million for the third quarter, more than doubling an already-strong performance as sales commence beyond Europe, the U.S. and the Middle East.

While the heady numbers don't approach Apple's first calendar quarter performance of 35.1 million iPhone sales, the Galaxy S III will increase Samsung's estimated combined unit sales which stood at 41 million at the end of March. The South Korean electronics giant is expected to sell about 50 million
smartphones in the second quarter, far eclipsing a forecast of 30 million iPhone sales.

Apple attempted to block sales of the S III in June before it hit U.S. stores on claims that the device should be included as part of another ongoing patent infringement case. The injunction bid was denied, however, and Samsung said that it was having trouble producing enough copies to keep up with growing demand and expected sales to reach 10 million by July.

Galaxy S III
Samsung Galaxy S III is set to become one the
most popular smartphones in the world. | Source: Samsung

The Galaxy S III was officially launched in 28 countries in Europe and the Middle East at the end of May with a U.S. debut following a month later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 213

Who cares?!

• Reply 2 of 213
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Now did it actually sell these, or are half of them in a warehouse somewhere and they're just spinning numbers around to make it look good?
  • Reply 3 of 213
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Now did it actually sell these, or are half of them in a warehouse somewhere and they're just spinning numbers around to make it look good?

Samsung does not report sold numbers in there quarterly filings or ever. They will only report shipped numbers.

So pretty much these numbers are bs. Im sure they actually sold a bunch but not near the numbers there reporting here. Eventually if they sit in the warehouse long enough they will be sold on two for one sales and free giveaways and samsung will count those as legitimate sales which there not.

The only company in the industry who gives actual sales numbers is Apple. They never report shipped it is always "sold" numbers.

Lol samsung counts any phone sold after it leaves there hands no matter where it goes (to a warehouse shelf or retailer).
  • Reply 4 of 213
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Samsung does not report sold numbers in there quarterly filings or ever. They will only report shipped numbers.

Methink that Samsung is feeling Apple tightening the noose around its neck so Samsung is trying to stuff as many Galaxy phones into the distribution channel in the even they get taken off the market.

I have yet to see anyone using a Galaxy S III yet.

• Reply 5 of 213
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Exactly. None of the data for Android phones -- especially from Samsung -- that are bandied about have any validity whatsoever. Unlike with Apple, anyone can cite any number, without fear of being proven wrong.

Don't believe these numbers for one second. If they were anywhere nearly as good as these people claim, you can bet that Samsung would be shouting it out (with auditor consent) from their rooftops.

• Reply 6 of 213
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Exactly. None of the data for Android phones -- especially from Samsung -- that are bandied about have any validity whatsoever. Unlike with Apple, anyone can cite any number, without fear of being proven wrong.

Don't believe these numbers for one second. If they were anywhere nearly as good as these people claim, you can bet that Samsung would be shouting it out (with auditor consent) from their rooftops.

Even if they are just shipped there is only so much you can stuff in the channel and there is plenty of evidence to support the Galaxy S III is selling very well, so even without Apple's extreme turnover I would imagine the sales to end users to still be very high and well over 6 millions units when this was reported.
  • Reply 7 of 213
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member

I think it is selling better than people here would like to believe. The phone certainly isn't being given away either, prices are quite high.

I personally know of a couple of people who have upgraded from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S III and are very happy. I've spent a little time with it, it's nice but too big IMO.

• Reply 8 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Even if they are just shipped there is only so much you can stuff in the channel and there is plenty of evidence to support the Galaxy S III is selling very well, so even without Apple's extreme turnover I would imagine the sales to end users to still be very high and well over 6 millions units when this was reported.

It's a brand new phone so there were none in the channel at the beginning of the period. So we know that the number in customers' hands must be less than 6.5 M - we just don't know how much less.

In contrast, Apple shipped 35 M iPhones in the Jan-Mar quarter. The Apr-Jun quarter results have not been published, but are usually higher than the Jan-Mar quarter. And since Apple's phone is well established, the number in the channel probably doesn't change much from month to month, so the number shipped is pretty close to the number in consumers' hands.

So much for Samsung's latest iPhone killer.
  • Reply 9 of 213
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

So pretty much these numbers are bs. Im sure they actually sold a bunch but not near the numbers there reporting here. Eventually if they sit in the warehouse long enough they will be sold on two for one sales and free giveaways and samsung will count those as legitimate sales which there not.

The only company in the industry who gives actual sales numbers is Apple. They never report shipped it is always "sold" numbers.

Lol samsung counts any phone sold after it leaves there hands no matter where it goes (to a warehouse shelf or retailer).

Samsung reports sales/revenue following the same general accounting practices as Apple does. The words are a bit different but the basis is the same. If the product has not been paid for (or arrangements made to do so) and product title has not changed hands then Samsung doesn't report the sale. Just as with Apple, as a rule shipped=sold. If money and title changed hands it's a sale. If the product shipped with no expectation of being paid then it's not.

I can't imagine any large company builds an electronic product, expending capital, then makes it a regular practice to send it off to someone else hoping one day to get paid for it. That's non-sensical, and certainly won't earn billions in profits.

• Reply 10 of 213
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    mechanic wrote: »

That only works for so long.

Imagine if Samsung shipped 6 million phones in a quarter to warehouses and stores... and ZERO people bought them.

Would they ship another 6 million phones the next quarter?

In short... people are buying Samsung phones.

I've never heard of a boatload of Samsung phones going back to Korea... especially not a flagship phone like the GSIII

mechanic wrote: »

Phones SOLD as part of a two-for-one are still SOLD...

What is your definition of a legitimate sale? Full retail price only? I got news for ya... EVERYTHING gets discounted eventually. TVs, cars, all sorts of stuff.

Again... Samsung phones aren't being sent back to Korea because no one is buying them.
  • Reply 11 of 213
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    scartart wrote: »
    I think it is selling better than people here would like to believe. The phone certainly isn't being given away either, prices are quite high.

I personally know of a couple of people who have upgraded from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S III and are very happy. I've spent a little time with it, it's nice but too big IMO.

Today, my hair stylist said she looked into getting a new smartphone this past weekend. She's not very tech savvy and felt her Verizon iPhone 4 was too complex and daunting for her. She tries to limit her internet usage as much as possible. So she went into her local Verizon store and they recommended she buy an Android phone which was planning to do. So yeah, I think Android phones, in general, are selling well but I doubt they are selling many to people that really want them. I figure the Galaxy S III is probably the same boat as carrier stores push the latest Android phone and try to completely ignore any talk of the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You shun the success of a competitor company to defend your Apple fanboy cockiness. The Samsung S3 is a great phone and is selling very well, leave it at that. It is an Apple competitor, but not on the scale that Apple sells the iPhone. It cannot go head to head with them, but will certainly take away people from the aging iPhone. 

Oh, hey, what's that, oops! 6th iPhone, right 'round the corner.

We also don't use 'fanboy' here.
  • Reply 13 of 213
    You shun the success of a competitor company to defend your Apple fanboy cockiness. 

Wow. And Apple ][ hasn't posted anything yet.
  • Reply 14 of 213
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member

That is why Samsung is the largest cellphone maker in the world. Apple iPhone 5 is late to the market, while Samsung will have sold 30 million Galaxy 3 phones by then.

• Reply 15 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Methink that Samsung is feeling Apple tightening the noose around its neck so Samsung is trying to stuff as many Galaxy phones into the distribution channel in the even they get taken off the market.

I have yet to see anyone using a Galaxy S III yet.

I actually just switched from my iPhone 3G (have to give it credit for holding up for four years) to a GS3.  Sorry, but the Apple ecosystem just didn't appeal to me anymore.  Plus, I just couldn't live with a 3.5" screen.  Competition is good and if Apple steps up its game I'll consider switching back in a couple of years.

• Reply 16 of 213
    69ergoo69ergoo Posts: 42member

Samsung will always win in number of units sold because they make like 300 kinds of phones. No joke. This is fact.

But who has more $$$ in the bank? after all it all comes down to who has more $$$ at the end. Sooner than later, Samsung will be overtaken by the Chinese companies. Unless Samsung improves brand power and develops loyal customer base, they will be screwed big time. Korea is good at manufacturing hardware but lacks creativity to develop software. That is the sad truth.

• Reply 17 of 213
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

...And since Apple's phone is well established, the number in the channel probably doesn't change much from month to month, so the number shipped is pretty close to the number in consumers' hands

From the April results, stated by Tim Cook:

"We ended the quarter with about 8.6 million iPhones in channel inventory, a sequential increase of about 2.6 million units, which placed us within our target range of 4 to 6 weeks of iPhone channel inventory."

"We ended the quarter with about 2 million iPads in channel inventory, a sequential decrease of about 300,000 units, which placed us below our target range of 4 to 6 weeks of iPad channel inventory."

• Reply 18 of 213
    sandyfsandyf Posts: 42member

...Keep your friends close and your enemies closer...

Still, it's frustrating to see Apple purchase $7-8 Billion in products from Samsung.

Samsung competes with their own customers...it will come back and haunt them. 

• Reply 19 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Wow. And Apple ][ hasn't posted anything yet.

He's away for a while, is he not?
    Please enlighten me what terminology you use as opposed to "fanboy."

None at all. It's used solely as an insult.
  • Reply 20 of 213

Verizon's only went on sale TODAY after delays of having enough on hand to offer it. Preorders trickled out over the last few days. It's selling very well, the denial by some people of that is pretty head scratching. 

According to Nielsen, Android's more than half the entire US market now.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/?p=32494