Nielsen: Android growth outpaces iOS in U.S. amid smartphone adoption boom

Comments

• Reply 21 of 139
    scrub175scrub175 Posts: 16member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You care because you're an enthusiast. But ask the average iPhone or Droid 3 user (who got the phone for free after mail-in rebate from Verizon) on the street about the market dynamics between iOS and Android and they'll likely stare at you like you're an alien.

I don't mean to belittle the rivalry, but some people get extremely heated about these market share numbers and throw insults at any company that isn't Apple. All I'm saying is that we just need to relax -- it's just a smartphone.

well said and agreed... jerk image

• Reply 22 of 139

well, with about an 84:1 ratio in terms of available handsets, i guess this would make sense. but out of those 84, how many aren't crap? 

• Reply 23 of 139

I was one of the survey participants. They paid me $2. Many years ago I participated in a Nielson survey. It was all about television, TV Guide, and coupons for products. The recent one asked me to write in the names of my three favorite TV shows currently on the air. It also asked about my demographic information such as age, gender, language, income, and race. All of the remaining questions were about cell phones.

There were about seventeen questions. It wanted to know if I owned a cell phone; was it a smart phone, which manufacturer, which provider, how many people in the household owned cell phones, et cetera.

I still have the large envelope in which it came. The outside says: "We've produced the TV ratings for over 60 years; Please open for a unique opportunity to represent TV viewing in your area; Let your voice be heard."

This survey wasn't really about TV; it was about cell phones. I wonder if they even used the data about the TV shows or if it was just a ruse to get people to respond.

• Reply 24 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

This SGSIII is a beast.

If it's a beast, why can't the icons keep up with my finger?

L A G, lag!

btw this is the quad-core International version.

• Reply 25 of 139
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

We can't seem to get away from the "market share means everything" line of thinking. Apple generates more revenue and profits, developers are overwhelmingly iOS first, the iPhone is the best selling smartphone in the U.S. But none of that seems to matter to the pundits. In terms of market share Apple is losing. So why is AAPL still at the top of the heap?  Don't investors get it that Apple is losing to generic Android?

• Reply 26 of 139
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Apple sold 35-40M iphones not iphone 4s. That means Iphone 3s and 4 that you can get for free or $99 in many places with a contract. Samsung GSIII only on sale for about half the q. and had not even come out for the 5 US carriers. This SGSIII is a beast.

Oh the vast majority of US phones sold in the U.S are high end. SGSII, Moto razr, and HTC sensation variants hold about 70% of the android market in the U.S. Try again .

Which one of those outsells the iPhone?

• Reply 27 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    well, with about an 84:1 ratio in terms of available handsets, i guess this would make sense. but out of those 84, how many aren't crap? 

I bet there are more than 84 vendors with Android-based phones all together. I think there was one list from a developer with thousands of different Android-based phones they had to code slightly different or at least test for... if they wanted to cover them all.

hill60 wrote: »
    If it's a beast, why can't the icons keep up with my finger?

L A G, lag!

btw this is the quad-core International version.

Still, even with the latest processor and it being quad-core? It's almost like pure HW specs aren't as important as actual usability and a good user experience.

I guess a lag-free Android OS is coming soon with Project Butter. Sooooon! Always soon with Android. What's funny is for how many years we've heard that Android isn't laggy at all and now they are finally doing something about it despite having wildly more powerful HW on their latest devices.
  • Reply 28 of 139
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I was one of the survey participants. They paid me $2. Many years ago I participated in a Nielson survey. It was all about television, TV Guide, and coupons for products. The recent one asked me to write in the names of my three favorite TV shows currently on the air. It also asked about my demographic information such as age, gender, language, income, and race. All of the remaining questions were about cell phones.

There were about seventeen questions. It wanted to know if I owned a cell phone; was it a smart phone, which manufacturer, which provider, how many people in the household owned cell phones, et cetera.

I still have the large envelope in which it came. The outside says: "We've produced the TV ratings for over 60 years; Please open for a unique opportunity to represent TV viewing in your area; Let your voice be heard."

This survey wasn't really about TV; it was about cell phones. I wonder if they even used the data about the TV shows or if it was just a ruse to get people to respond.

Are you reading a different story to the rest of us? lol

• Reply 29 of 139
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It all depends on how you calculate it. If you look at relative growth rates, Android's share grew by 5.4% while Apple's grew by 5.8%.

However, that's not really the issue, either. I really couldn't care less how many people buy Android phones. 'Android' covers everything from feature phones (I provided some examples in a previous thread) through low-end smart phones to high end smart phones like the SIII (which sold a whopping 6 M units during a time period when Apple probably sold 35-40 M units. In the segment where Apple chooses to compete, they're the clear leader.

But even THAT isn't the real issue. The real issue is that I've used Android phones and they're garbage. Slow, choppy performance, OS fragmentation, crappy apps, and so on. And of all the Android phones that my family has owned, there was only one that was ever upgradeable (Android 2.2 to 2.3).

Wow since only your opinion seems to matter everyone should only buy a iPhone.

• Reply 30 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I thought I'd check out what all the fuss was about the Galaxy S3. Had a good play with it. Good camera for sure but the screen is actually too big for a phone and pretty awkward to use with one hand. Most of all Android OS sucks when you've used an iPhone. I guess Android will continue to sell strongly to those who don't care, don't know or look for the cheapest option.
    Dont like the look of it at all. Looks cheap. I tried out the Lumia a few weeks ago, just wondering what all the fuss was as everyone including Woz were out there drooling over the design. Honestly it felt cheap to me, almost too lightweight and you definitely knew it was plastic. My iPhone 4S felt very much like a premium device next to it.

The fact that iOS is so close to Android (considering that Android is used by many OEM's and its in the high and low end of thr market) is amazing,
  • Reply 31 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I guess a lag-free Android OS is coming soon with Project Butter. Sooooon! Always soon with Android. What's funny is for how many years we've heard that Android isn't laggy at all and now they are finally doing something about it despite having wildly more powerful HW on their latest devices.

The denial of the issue is rather strange, Google koolaid perhaps or looking at the world through a Google Goggles reality distortion field.

• Reply 32 of 139
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Symbian and WebOS are dead which just leaves 4 main players. I hope RIM can turn things around and Windows Mobile can establish a limited foothold as I really don't want this to end up a two horse race between iOS and Android. We all know what happened last time with Windows vrs Mac. If RIM and MS could share 20% with Apple on 35% that limits Android to 45%. I think that keeps everyone honest and innovative without any one OS gaining a dominant position.

• Reply 33 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Dont like the look of it at all. Looks cheap. I tried out the Lumia a few weeks ago, just wondering what all the fuss was as everyone including Woz were out there drooling over the design. Honestly it felt cheap to me, almost too lightweight and you definitely knew it was plastic. My iPhone 4S felt very much like a premium device next to it.

It's similar to a cheap Android phone, e.g:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3840&idPhone2=4576

• Reply 34 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I bet there are more than 84 vendors with Android-based phones all together. I think there was one list from a developer with thousands of different Android-based phones they had to code slightly different or at least test for... if they wanted to cover them all.

Still, even with the latest processor and it being quad-core? It's almost like pure HW specs aren't as important as actual usability and a good user experience.

I haven't noticed any lag on my One X and I also have a 4S to compare it against.

• Reply 35 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The fact that iOS is so close to Android (considering that Android is used by many OEM's and its in the high and low end of thr market) is amazing,

I have a N9 (same design as the Lumia) and in my opinion it doesn't feel cheap at all. It's feel quite solid in the hand and it's a great simple design.

• Reply 36 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Symbian and WebOS are dead which just leaves 4 main players. I hope RIM can turn things around and Windows Mobile can establish a limited foothold as I really don't want this to end up a two horse race between iOS and Android. We all know what happened last time with Windows vrs Mac. If RIM and MS could share 20% with Apple on 35% that limits Android to 45%. I think that keeps everyone honest and innovative without any one OS gaining a dominant position.

It's a shame Meego is basically dead too as it's quite nice to use.

• Reply 37 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I haven't noticed any lag on my One X and I also have a 4S to compare it against.

I posted a video demonstration, clearly showing lag on the SIII, too bad HTC don't have the marketing hype of Samsung or they wouldn't be getting crushed out of existence.

Just think, Touchwiz is the most popular form of Android.

• Reply 38 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The Symbian based Nokia 808 PureView, with the 41 Megapixel looks interesting.

It was released last month.

There are still a lot of low end Symbian phones available, just not in the US.

• Reply 39 of 139

Wow.  RIMM is not going to make it through 2012.  

• Reply 40 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I posted a video demonstration, clearly showing lag on the SIII, too bad HTC don't have the marketing hype of Samsung or they wouldn't be getting crushed out of existence.

Just think, Touchwiz is the most popular form of Android.

Never tried a SIII so can't comment but from what I have seen of Touchwiz I can say it doesn't appeal to me much.