Name some good books to read on a rainy weekend...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Skin Tight - Carl Hiaasen

This is a really funny book... if you're into outrageous dark humor + mystery than this is for you. Although you might want to start out with something else by Hiaasen because so far this is his best work and I keep wishing something else of his would be able to top it.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    OK ... gotta throw in my 2 cents, scince I read 2-3 books a week (lots of down-time in my job).

"Moondog's Academy of the Air" by Pete Fusco ... A bit of a light hearted look at how to become an airline pilot based on actual experiences (maybe a little artistic license, but having been down this road, i doubt it)

"A Pirate Looks at 50" by Jimmy Buffett ... sort of a modern take on "Following the Equator" by Mark Twain (also a great book, but longer).

"Starship Titanic" by Douglas Adams ... I thought it was better than the "Hitchhikers Guide" books.

"Wind, Sand and Stars" by Antoine de St Exuperey... another aviation themed book written pre-WW2 ... and while you're at it, pick up "The Little Prince".
  • Reply 23 of 33
    just wanted to bring this back to the top ... see if anyone else will post ... I get a lot of good reading ideas from threads like this!!!
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Kurt Cobain's Journals. I got it for my girlfriend a while back, just borrowed it last weekend and it was a great read. I guess you have to be a Nirvana fan, but it's a really interesting book.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by pfflam:

<strong>oh yeah.... anything by Milan Kundera!!

particularly Immortality

and

The Book of Laughter and forgetting

also

100 Years of Solitude by Gabrial Garcia Marquez</strong><hr></blockquote>

How can you suggest Kundera without including "The Unbearable Lightness of Being?!?!

Other suggestions...

The Human Stain, by Philip Roth

Illusions, by Richard Bach

The Beach, by Alex Garland
  • Reply 26 of 33
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    But then you have to read Anna Karenina, and neither book suits my rainy day formula unless you plan to kill yourself afterwards.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    I agree with 709, anything by Will Self is well worth the read. Good light book-A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, this book is damn funny-even the copyright information will have you on the floor.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    [quote]Originally posted by Miles:

<strong>

How can you suggest Kundera without including "The Unbearable Lightness of Being?!?!

</strong><hr></blockquote>Why? well... it's just not my favorite... it didn't carry through the momentum that it starts off with... excellent first half though!!

[edit] oh yeah... its still a great book[/edit]

[ 02-14-2003: Message edited by: pfflam ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 33
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Fiction - I'd second the any PKD suggestion and for a really testing read try "Man in the High Castle"

Autobiography - "Unreliable Memoirs" by Clive James, just the funniest book about growing up ever.

Travel Writing - "Sweet liberty, Travels in Irish america" by Joseph O'Connor. not sure if its still in print though.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    &lt;--- currently reading "Islands in the Stream" by Ernest Hemmingway.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    eloelo Posts: 22member
    Reign in Hell by Steven Brust. Always has been and always will be one of my favorites.