Apple iPhoto update brings fix to album migration issue

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday updated iPhoto to version 9.3.1 to address an issue regarding an album migration problem as well as an instance that would cause the program to freeze.

The new update comes one month after version 9.3 brought enhancements to Apple's photo management software that included tighter integration with professional-level photo editor Aperture, AVCHD support and a new Export option, among others.

iPhoto 9.3.1

From the release notes:
  • What's New in Version 9.3.1
  • Addresses a problem during the migration of albums from MobileMe Gallery that may cause photos to be moved from their original events into a new event called "From MobileMe"
  • Fixes an issue that in rare cases could cause iPhoto to hang when upgrading libraries
iPhoto version 9.3.1 weighs in at 599.65 MB and can be downloaded through Apple's Support Downloads Page or Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It was 700+ for me. And did anyone else notice that the Launchpad hover state shows how much is downloaded? That opens up the hover state of all applications to show data like that.
  • Reply 2 of 7

When I upgraded to 9.3 it moved almost all my current photos to a an event called recovered photos, and under faces most of the are black screens versus having a face. Hope this fixes it, but should I restore to before 9.3, and then go from 9.2 to 9.3.1 ?

• Reply 3 of 7
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

When I upgraded to 9.3 it moved almost all my current photos to a an event called recovered photos, and under faces most of the are black screens versus having a face. Hope this fixes it, but should I restore to before 9.3, and then go from 9.2 to 9.3.1 ?

if I am understanding your question. yes. dump the botched library, restore one from before the botching and open it after you have updated the app software. That's what I would do

• Reply 4 of 7
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It was 700+ for me. And did anyone else notice that the Launchpad hover state shows how much is downloaded? That opens up the hover state of all applications to show data like that.

Mine was ~40 via the App Store.

• Reply 5 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Mine was ~40 via the App Store.

Weird… I read that others had that small an update, as well. Hey, they changed the icon, though. I only noticed because I went to swap it with the one I use (and I don't even use iPhoto anymore…).

It's 1024x1024 now, and it's STILL called "NSApplicationIcon.icns". I love that. It's not laziness; it's just a tribute. :lol:
  • Reply 6 of 7
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    So that's why some of my photos moved. Thought it was something I did. Already moved them back. Wish Apple would test more before deploying.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    skiball7skiball7 Posts: 21member

Finally!  iPhoto works again and thankfully, no lost pictures (I deleted and reinstalled again after that last bad update).