Nielsen: Android growth outpaces iOS in U.S. amid smartphone adoption boom

Comments

• Reply 81 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Are you reading a different story to the rest of us? lol

Did you not read the article? It is about the percentage of market share of different OSs in the USA. The data came from a survey. The survey was done by Nielson. I was one of the people who answered the survey. Nielson is famous for TV ratings yet their survey was mostly about cell phones. Simple.

• Reply 82 of 139
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Anyone else notice how that Nielsen graphic is visually misleading?  Android is noted numerically as having 51% of the market but the area of the graphic given over to the OS is only about 33% at a guess.

• Reply 83 of 139
    mocsegmocseg Posts: 86member

Hilarious.

• Reply 84 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoreaFighting View Post

S3 wins the day!

Keep the hate and racism coming, isheep!

Hey I resemble that remark, I watched M*A*S*H.

• Reply 85 of 139
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Does it really matter to you in the long run? I guess it matters if you're an investor, but nobody in the real world really cares who wins -- they just want a smartphone. Does it really matter why someone buys a smartphone with their own money? Does it affect me if someone buys an HTC One X or a Nokia Lumia 900? All of this back and forth and belittling of other platforms just strikes me as childish. It would be like me driving a BMW and saying that anyone who drives a Toyota, Honda, Acura, or even a Mercedes or Audi is simply clueless because everyone should aspire to have the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

I think we all tend to get too caught up in all these market share numbers when in reality, they really mean nothing to us end-users in the end. I have an iPhone 4S, an iPad, and a MacBook Air and I enjoy them all. Whatever Google, Microsoft or the rest is doing in market share makes no difference to me. It's just something that news sites use to drum up Haterade.

OK, I'm off my soapbox! Just had to get that off my chest :lol:

Visit a BMW forum and you WILL see similar arguments. Fanboys are everywhere. :lol:
  • Reply 86 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

F.U.D. ... and very little else.

Does the FUD include Google lubing up their handsets with butterball as part of the Jellyfish update?

They seemed to be FUDing it a great deal at their I/O conference, when they stated that THIS TIME the lag issue will be fixed, just like Frodo, Honeycrumb and Gingernuts.

What's next Kookies, Karamel, Kupcakes, Knishes, Kimchi?

• Reply 87 of 139

Quote:

Seriously.

I just started to read this forum a couple of days ago and at first I thought the fanboyism was quite funny -- but now, I am quite disturbed by the blind fanaticism, twisting of reality, and brainwashing.

I really does feel like cult. Scary.

And all the over mobile phones? I don't even remember what brand my previous phone was.

Fortunately, for most iPhone users their phone is just a phone.

Scary:

Samsung-Store-in-Sydney-Australia.jpg

Yeah, Google's really hitting some home runs on the brainwashing front.

Do no evil, well it's not evil if you're not caught and all that crap.

• Reply 88 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If it's a beast, why can't the icons keep up with my finger?

L A G, lag!

btw this is the quad-core International version.

Droid dorks do not see it as lag, the dumb(android smart)phone moves faster their senses ever could anyway so they just don't notice...

If only I could see the world the same way the typical dumb android user does, the world would seem like a magical place with all those big fancy new wood and rope bridges that help us cross the creek, and the recent economic boom in the village that was caused by the discovery of tools made from stone.

Indeed, the droid dorks world must be one of startling amazement. Heres to the droid dorks, now if they could just figure out how to start and use fire for cooking. Oh well, maybe a few more millennium and the droid dorks will figure that one out. In the mean time they will just copy it from someone who already has...

• Reply 89 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

Droid dorks do not see it as lag, the dumb(android smart)phone moves faster their senses ever could anyway so they just don't notice...

If only I could see the world the same way the typical dumb android user does, the world would seem like a magical place with all those big fancy new wood and rope bridges that help us cross the creek, and the recent economic boom in the village that was caused by the discovery of tools made from stone.

Indeed, the droid dorks world must be one of startling amazement. Heres to the droid dorks, now if they could just figure out how to start and use fire for cooking. Oh well, maybe a few more millennium and the droid dorks will figure that one out. In the mean time they will just copy it from someone who already has...

Some unsolicited advice: If you want to be taken seriously, try making the same points but not from the viewpoint of a grade-schooler. Your style leaves readers with the impression you're quite young and inexperienced.

As for the "lag" supposedly demonstrated in Hill60's video I personally think it may actually be the OS properly determining if the user is wanting to add icons/widgets to the home-screen via using a "long-press" or instead scroll from page to page.  There was a similar claim about the lag when hitting the home button on the S3. As it turns out Samsung's voice search is activated by a double tap of the home screen button, so there's a momentary pause to determine what the user is requesting, one tap or two. Turning off Samsung's S-voice eliminates the delay. Perhaps Hill60 might have time to video the delay in launching apps with a screen tap, which was normally evidence of screen lag in the past anyway.

In any case you are probably correct that users' don't see it as lag.

• Reply 90 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Some unsolicited advice: If you want to be taken seriously, try making the same points but not from the viewpoint of a grade-schooler. Your style leaves readers with the impression you're quite young and inexperienced.

As for the "lag" supposedly demonstrated in Hill60's video I personally think it may actually be the OS properly determining if the user is wanting to add icons/widgets to the home-screen via using a "long-press" or instead scroll from page to page.  There was a similar claim about the lag when hitting the home button on the S3. As it turns out Samsung's voice search is activated by a double tap of the home screen button, so there's a momentary pause to determine what the user is requesting, one tap or two. Turning off Samsung's S-voice eliminates the delay.

stuff your android excuses and lame ass advice in a sack troll...

• Reply 91 of 139
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

stuff your android excuses and lame ass advice in a sack troll...

Well done for so eloquently proving his point and for handing him the win on a plate. LoL

• Reply 92 of 139
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    daharder wrote: »
    F.U.D. ... and very little else.

Really? So you're going to deny that there's fragmentation in the Android platform?

If so, please explain why only a very small fraction of Android users are on the newest version of the OS. Even people buying phones today are still getting 2.2 and 2.3 - while they're allegedly up to 4.0 (although I haven't seen many phones shipping with 4.0).

Explain why even Android developers moan about fragmentation.

Explain why it's very, very unusual to get an authorized upgrade for your phone if you have an older version of Android.

This one's my favorite. Explain why one phone (Samsung Galaxy SIII) can't even decide how many processor cores it has. From simply looking at an SIII, you can't tell whether it has 2 or 4 cores.

No fragmentation? Nonsense. Fragmentation is a major problem for Android.
  • Reply 93 of 139
    shock meshock me Posts: 56member

Having served with a number of ROK Marines, I have to say Koreans are my favorite Asian group (except for what they do to cabbages). Not as thin-skinned as the Chinese I have met and not as arrogant as the Japanese who I've lived among. I prefer Asians to most Europeans. Although South Africans, Aussies and the folks from Oz are who I get on best with.

Those are some attractive young people. Although I think the SGSIII is an attractive phone, I can't forgive the betrayal of Apple by Samsung and Google. It isn't like I will be giving back my Samsung TV (it is very nice except for the remote and the unattractive software). I just won't reward them in the future for placing my chosen platform in doubt for quick buck. I would have preferred even closer cooperation with Apple to leverage iOS across even more devices. Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

• Reply 94 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

I don't see the issue with consumer choice. And obviously consumers are choosing Android.

You are reacting to a holdover meme from the days when Macs were better than PCs.  The excuse then was that although sales were dismal, the Mac was neverthelAess better.

We are again seeing the meme  - although Android sales dwarf iOS sales on phones, the Android phones are inferior.  

There's nothing new here, except that the relative merits of the products have changed.  It used to be very true that MacOS was better than Windows.,  It is not true that the various phones running iOS are better than all phones running Android.  Android and iOS each have some areas in which they exceed the other, making a reasonable choice possible.  Just like Windows and OS - there are tradeoffs and advantages in both.

People seem to overwhelmingly choose Windows, and by a large margin choose Android.  Thems the facts.  But the subjective component can still be employed, to claim that nevertheless, the Apple stuff is "still better".

The weird part is when people try to take the defensible subjective stuff and transform it into some sort of objective asessment.  That is why they claim that Android phones are, in the bulk, feature phones.  They are like people who are desperate to "prove" that God exists, because  their faith is not strong enough.

It is OK to prefer iOS.  Most people buy Android.

It is a subjective choice, made by millions of people for millions of reasons.  People just seem to prefer Android, for a variety of reasons.

And price ain't got nothing to do with it, given that iPhones are given away for free on contract.  There does not exist any Android phone which is cheaper than an iPhone.

• Reply 95 of 139
    goodgriefgoodgrief Posts: 137member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

If it's running Android it's a smartphone. There's no arguing that.

But yes, many Android phone have low end hardware which is why you can pick them up for so cheap and use them on prepaid carriers or let them be first smartphones for kids.

I don't see the issue with consumer choice. And obviously consumers are choosing Android.

Yup this Android device is definitely a phone:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/smartwatch/

As for the "choice", that conclusion isn't actually supported by this data. What this is saying is that more buyers are choosing phones that happen to run Android, not that they're choosing Android specifically. That's akin to saying Most consumers choose gasoline-fired internal combustion engines because most consumers buy sedans. The fact however, is that they mostly choose cars that have enough seats and don't cost more than they think they can afford. The thing is, just like most car buyers don't know much (if anything) about the engine in their car, many consumers don't even know what an "Android" (or an "iOS", for that matter) is, other than hearing that their phone "has it". Of the rest, only a percentage actually understand what it is. Of those remaining relatively tech-savvy buyers, only some of those care (the rest still just want the phone that meets their needs and falls into their price category).

• Reply 96 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And Windows Phone?

Nearly 2 years on the market. Hundreds of millions of dollars in marketing. Aggressive, public promo campaign By Nokia. Lots of bluster and chest-thumping from Microstupid.

Result?

1.3%.

After ALL THAT.

It is striking how poorly Windows 7(.5) is doing.  The adoption rate is pathetic.  Nokia seems to have screwed up badly.  And the recent announcement of WinPhone 8 will further reduce sales.

I'm very curious to see the WinRT tablets.  I have no interest whatsoever in the Windows phones.

Microsoft has had some success in coming up from the rear - IE is an example.  But I see grossly insufficient progress so far in their phone OS business.

OTOH, I would not bet against M$.  They have been too successful in the past to make that a sure thing.

• Reply 97 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

You can [be] an apple fan and honest at the same time.

Of  course you can.  But the culture is so rife with shibboleths that it is difficult.  And there are so many AppleFans who are rabid and irrational that you will get reamed for stating honest truths, like that there exist very, very good Android phones and that most people choose Android phones over iPhones.

The way to "go along to get along" in the AppleFan world is to subscribe to the irrational stuff, like Android owners are ignorant and shiftless, inferior to AppleFans in certain objective criteria.

Yes, you can be honest, but in certain subcultures, it is very difficult to do so and still "get along".

• Reply 98 of 139

Quote:

Seriously.

I just started to read this forum a couple of days ago and at first I thought the fanboyism was quite funny -- but now, I am quite disturbed by the blind fanaticism, twisting of reality, and brainwashing.

I really does feel like cult. Scary.

I still find it quite funny.   

• Reply 99 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Anyone else notice how that Nielsen graphic is visually misleading?  Android is noted numerically as having 51% of the market but the area of the graphic given over to the OS is only about 33% at a guess.

I noticed that.  The graphic is very badly designed.

• Reply 100 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mocseg wrote: »
    Hilarious.

<object width="640" height="390" data=""><param name="movie" value="">
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    <!--[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]--></object>

That guy talks like an evangelist.