Shipping times for Retina display MacBook Pro improve to 2-3 weeks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has begun catching up with demand for its popular new MacBook Pro with Retina display, as estimated shipping times have improved to two-to-three weeks.

Shipping times advertised at Apple's online store for both models of the 15-inch Retina display MacBook Pro were shortened this week, and as of Friday, both the 2.3 gigahertz and 2.6 gigahertz models ship within two-to-three weeks.

The latest shipping estimate from the Apple Store is a slight improvement from the three-to-four weeks that were previously advertised. It's also the shortest estimated shipping time seen since mid-June.

The 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display was announced last month, and was heralded by Apple as "the most beautiful computer we have ever made." It takes design cues from the MacBook Air by ditching the optical disc drive and relying solely on flash memory, allowing it to have a thinner design while maintaining long battery life.

The standout feature of the new MacBook Pro is its 2,880-by-1,880-pixel Retina display that features 220 pixels-per-inch on the 15.4-inch screen. The new design also cuts glare by 75 percent by removing the glass cover found in previous models.

Shipping

Apple's top-of-the-linenotebook also features two high-speed Thunderbolt ports, USB 3.0 connections, a dedicated HDMI port, and a built-in SD card reader. The 2.3-gigahertz model with 256 gigabytes of flash storage has a suggested price of $2,199, while the 2.6 gigahertz model with 512 gigabytes of flash storage runs $2,799.

Alternatively, the MacBook Pro with Retina display is also available and in stock at Apple Authorized Resellers. Prices through these resellers can be found included below.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

This is good news, but I still haven't received mine. So I forwarded the story to my supplier with a "WTF" inquiry. We'll see what they have to say....

• Reply 2 of 39
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Oh my God, that is such a lustworthy computer.
    Oh my God, I am such a nerd.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    sambamacsambamac Posts: 19member

And where is the promised Thunderbolt-Firewire adapter? I need one.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078439/apple-accessories-thunderbolt-firewire-800-gigabit-ethernet

Is there an official statement from apple, when the new adapter will be available?

• Reply 4 of 39
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I can't wait for all the Apple haters:

"Apple is doomed. The demand for their latest and greatest computer is dropping".
  • Reply 5 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ktappe wrote: »
    This is good news, but I still haven't received mine. So I forwarded the story to my supplier with a "WTF" inquiry. We'll see what they have to say....

Is it not possible to head to a store for a pick up?

sambamac wrote: »
    And where is the promised Thunderbolt-Firewire adapter? I need one.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078439/apple-accessories-thunderbolt-firewire-800-gigabit-ethernet

Is there an official statement from apple, when the new adapter will be available?

It's odd how something so trivial can take them so long to get to market.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

I'm still waiting for mine, it's only been (just) 3 weeks, I ordered the 2.6 with 16gb of ram....can't wait!!!

• Reply 7 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Oh my God, that is such a lustworthy computer.

Oh my God, I am such a nerd.

It is a very nice computer, with some outstanding aspects.  It has a great screen, and considering the form factor, it has a lot of power.

The price is high if one looks at the power/$ ratio, but the other aspects are good enough that if one really wants one, it is not a bad choice.  Light, pretty, great screen, enough power for most uses - all are reasonable aspects for choosing the machine over other choices.

• Reply 8 of 39
    It is a very nice computer, with some outstanding aspects.  It has a great screen, and considering the form factor, it has a lot of power.

The price is high if one looks at the power/$ ratio, but the other aspects are good enough that if one really wants one, it is not a bad choice.  Light, pretty, great screen, enough power for most uses - all are reasonable aspects for choosing the machine over other choices.

The price is high? Fine. Feel free to show another comparable computer of comparable quality and performance that costs less. I'll wait.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jragosta wrote: »
    The price is high? Fine. Feel free to show another comparable computer of comparable quality and performance that costs less. I'll wait.

It's clear from his post that he's only considering generic aspects like the CPU and/or GPU for his comparison. Apple has always far ahead in areas that most can't comprehend but they aren't easily quantified on a spec sheet.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I was pleasantly surprised they had them on the shelf at our Tampa Apple Store when i was there last week but that's only of use if one didn't want a BTO version obviously.
  • Reply 11 of 39

What's our bet on when these will ship with Mountain Lion?

If I order one now, do you think it will arrive with the new OS?

• Reply 12 of 39
    zozman wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for mine, it's only been (just) 3 weeks, I ordered the 2.6 with 16gb of ram....can't wait!!!

You didn't go with a larger SSD? The cost is horrible though I know. That's what stopped me. If a 750 gig SSD was affordable (or TB even better) I'd have jumped or even if it were simple to upgrade the SSD. I'm still hoping that will be made affordable as return to Apple soon. I understand Apple uses very special SSD technology and your NEWegg special is sadly not wise at present. Which has made me also hold back on a new standard MBP which I considered as a self upgrade for more SSD. Strange times we live in ... But fun.

Wish of the day ... iPads had a built in algorithm to detect b,c,n etc used instead of space bar accidentally and replace with space.
  • Reply 13 of 39

I find it incredible that Apple can't keep up with demand for a $3,000-$4,000 laptop.  Either they prefer to see a moderate shipping delay for marketing purposes, or a lot of people are buying these things.

• Reply 14 of 39
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's clear from his post that he's only considering generic aspects like the CPU and/or GPU for his comparison. Apple has always far ahead in areas that most can't comprehend but they aren't easily quantified on a spec sheet.

Obviously.

But even if only considering specs, I'd love for him to show me a computer with the following for under $2799 (much less significantly under that price):
    - quad core i-7 at 2.6 GHz
    - 512 GB SSD
    - 8 GB DDR3 (1600) RAM
    - 15" display with 5.1 M pixels
    - Under 4.5 pounds

Even if someone isn't bright enough to consider anything but the specs it's impossible to say this is overpriced.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    applezilla wrote: »
    What's our bet on when these will ship with Mountain Lion?

If I order one now, do you think it will arrive with the new OS?

Pretty good odds at this stage not that it matters, I would be a free upgrade even if it arrived with Lion.
  • Reply 16 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I was talking about power/$.  Reread my post and maybe then you will understand what was communicated to the readers with average comprhension.

• Reply 17 of 39
    I find it incredible that Apple can't keep up with demand for a $3,000-$4,000 laptop.  Either they prefer to see a moderate shipping delay for marketing purposes, or a lot of people are buying these things.

I think they are waiting for more orders before they start using the second CNC router /joke
  • Reply 18 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's clear from his post that he's only considering generic aspects like the CPU and/or GPU for his comparison. Apple has always far ahead in areas that ... aren't easily quantified on a spec sheet.

We have a winner.  Give that man a cigar!

"The price is high if one looks at the power/$ ratio, but the other aspects are good enough that if one really wants one, it is not a bad choice.  Light, pretty, great screen, enough power for most uses - all are reasonable aspects for choosing the machine over other choices."

• Reply 19 of 39

I was talking about power/$.  Reread my post and maybe then you will understand what was communicated to the readers with average comprhension.

'Power' is a hard thing to quantify these days though. How do you take Retina display into account for example or lightning fast boot times?
  • Reply 20 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Obviously.

But even if only considering specs, I'd love for him to show me a computer with the following for under $2799 (much less significantly under that price):

- quad core i-7 at 2.6 GHz

- 512 GB SSD

- 8 GB DDR3 (1600) RAM

- 15" display with 5.1 M pixels

- Under 4.5 pounds

Even if someone isn't bright enough to consider anything but the specs it's impossible to say this is overpriced.

Soli is likely able to explain it in terms you are likely to understand.  Weight? Does that fit the topic of power/$ ratio?