Apple acknowledges 'mistake,' places eligible products back on EPEAT

Comments

• Reply 101 of 159
    So what's the bottom line here, huh Apple?
    Saying you are now putting back what you took off is irrelevant.
    Are more, or less, of your products harming the environment?

Quit blowing smoke and talking about what you've put on your website. What's in your products and how are you making them safer for our planet?
    I care about Earth, not some corporate-created list.
  • Reply 102 of 159
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quit blowing smoke and talking about what you've put on your website. What's in your products and how are you making them safer for our planet?

There there. Diddums.
  • Reply 103 of 159
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

What do you think? Take a wild guess.
  • Reply 104 of 159
    A lawyer's job is to suck his/her client's wallet bare.
    I agree, Cook should have stepped up. Feckless, I say.
  • Reply 105 of 159
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

A lawyer's job is to suck his/her client's wallet bare.

I agree, Cook should have stepped up. Feckless, I say.

You are so consistently mean, narrow-minded, negative and power-tripping in your posts, that I'm having a hard time believing you are actually female.  You come across like a nasty teen-aged boy or a radio shock-jock.  Also, you're kinda using 'feckless' incorrectly.  

• Reply 106 of 159
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Refer to post #95 and and tell us how that humble-pie tastes.

Or were you just blowing smoke about your you care about the earth?  

• Reply 107 of 159
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You are so consistently mean, narrow-minded, negative and power-tripping in your posts, that I'm having a hard time believing you are actually female.  You come across like a nasty teen-aged boy or a radio shock-jock.  Also, you're kinda using 'feckless' incorrectly.  

So there you go lumping all females into one stereotypical group.  Why shouldn't women be allowed to post mean, narrow-minded, negative posts?   

• Reply 108 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sflocal wrote: »

How incredibly funny!!! Where are the iHaters now??!!!  They are probably in emergency-mode right now trying to spin the story that now "suddenly" EPEAT doesn't matter anymore because they caved in to Apple's "evil" methods.

Nah they just think $$$ exchanged hands...
  • Reply 109 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    I wonder if its just arrogance? Considering their issues with 4G and warranty in other countries its sure making them look arrogant.
    Honestly I could care less about EPEAT. And I'm sure most people had never heard of them prior to this week. And of course Apple is no more or less environmentally responsible today than they were yesterday or last week. But I scratch my head at how they could not have prepared better for this. If they were going to pull out and had a legitimate reason for doing why not issue a formal press release from Tim Cook explaining why? And reenter rate that their commitment to the environment is as strong as ever. get ahead of the story since most people haven't heard of EPEAT and it would get spun in a negative (and most likely inaccurate) way.
  • Reply 110 of 159
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

When Mobile Me was screwed up, Jobs took the blame. 

Actually he blamed his Mobile Me team, telling them that they had “tarnished Apple’s reputation,” and that they, “should hate each other for having let each other down.”   In this EPEAT issue, Cook executed a fast u-turn before there was damage that might have required him to personally apologize.  

• Reply 111 of 159
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Not sure why since you don't know his involvement if anything in the decision making process. In case you weren't aware, Apple's general counsel is quite busy with lawsuits.

Yes, Sewell is busy with lawsuits that have garnered Apple nothing m  ore than pyrrhic victories and stalemates.  In the case of EPEAT, the legal department should have vociferously recommended against abandoning EPEAT due to federal compliance laws that would cost the company government contracts.  Let's remember that Apple was already in compliance except for perhaps the new MacBook Pro Retina.  Perhaps Sewell did that - I doubt it just as I doubt that he's he's advising Cook to abandon the Steve Job's thermonuclear litigation option.  

• Reply 112 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I'm not so sure.  I think Steve would have handled it differently though.  He'd be on the phone with EPEAT first saying this is what we're going to do, update your procedures.  If EPEAT didn't do it in a timely manner, Steve would have done it anyways, then criticize EPEAT and make them look really irrelevant over time, then EPEAT would succumb to the bad PR and update their procedures.

I think that's the only way you get folks like EPEAT to wake up and get with the program.  Bureaucracies like EPEAT won't change unless their jobs and image are in jeopardy.  Just like politics.

The upside down exclamation is my sarcmark, as in a mark used to denote the opposite of what I'm actually saying since tone isn't easily conveyed on internet forums, IMs and the like. I've adopted this from the Ethopic language's irony mark ( ¡ ) called the temherte slaqî.

So, long story short... I agree with you. ????

How incredibly funny!!! Where are the iHaters now??!!!  They are probably in emergency-mode right now trying to spin the story that now "suddenly" EPEAT doesn't matter anymore because they caved in to Apple's "evil" methods.

There were 39 last week. We know that the glued battery was an issue and the new MBP wouldn't have passed. Today we have all 39 re-added, a public declaration, plus the new MBP added. I don't think there is any rational or objective way to look at this except to say that Apple won, hands down.
  • Reply 113 of 159
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

If folks on this thread can step back for a couple moments and take a deep breath or two, they might consider how much mental effort and emotion they're wasting. So a mistake was made ... acknowledged ... and steps taken to correct it. In a few days, weeks, or months, what will it mean in the fabric of Apple's history? Not much.

This week there were a lot bigger stories in the news. I'm not connected to Penn State, and after the Freeh Report, glad of it. I wouldn't enjoy being part of the Penn State community and having to live the Sandusky debacle down in future years. Nor does the EPEAT flap trouble Apple managers anywhere near much as Jamie Dimon and his people having to cope with blowing away $6 billion of JP Morgan's money.

Time to get a grip. Take your meds, drink a glass of warm milk and tuck yourselves in early tonight.

• Reply 114 of 159
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 115 of 159
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member

This goof up is not something I expected! Yes! I do miss Steve Jobs! I just hope this disappears as quickly it came.

• Reply 116 of 159
    radster360 wrote: »
    This goof up is not something I expected! Yes! I do miss Steve Jobs! I just hope this disappears as quickly it came.

What goof up? I don't for a second believe the apology that came from Apple. All of this points to a deliberate act to get an outmoded system updated.
  • Reply 117 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

What good is a standard if it's easily discarded to bend to the whims of any single manufacturer?

Replace "Apple" with "Dell" above and see if you feel as favorable about it.

If Dell created products as environmentally friendly as Apple did, I wouldn't have a problem. The problem is there are no other computer manufacturers that make their computers as green as Apple does. If I'm wrong let me know what company does.

• Reply 118 of 159
    Interesting data has come up.

Companies list their own ratings and then they are verified by EPEAT later on. It seems doubtful that Apple would resign on with EPEAT and make their new MBP Gold without being certain it will pass. I guess we'll find out shortly. I'm expecting the certification process will finally be updated. Hopefully they'll finally add a category for handheld devices.

If Dell created products as environmentally friendly as Apple did, I wouldn't have a problem. The problem is there are no other computer manufacturers that make their computers as green as Apple does. If I'm wrong let me know what company does.

They have plenty of green machines, perhaps even more total distinct models, but they are for their premium categories which Apple has a near monopoly, not for their budget categories where they sell nearly all their units so their total number of machines that are bad for the environment will far exceed anything Apple could do in every single way.
  • Reply 119 of 159

Is Apple management adopting the Microsoft way of saying something and then taking it back? It's a start. Not a good road to go down.

It's all about money. Why should Apple jeopardize the sales of existing EPEAT approved products just because some of their newer products don't comply with the standard? Reversing this decision was the right thing to do, but; somebody messed up in a big way.

Many people on this forum were claiming Apple had it's reasons for doing this and that it was probably a well though out corporate decision. Now that we see this change we can assume that this wasn't a well though out decision by Apple. It was perhaps something done by one person with authority.

Maybe one person said it was a bad idea and the remainder of management said it was a good idea. Now management knows it was a really bad idea to drop EPEAT certification for all of the products. Will those who said it was a bad idea get an apology and perhaps a raise?

This change in policy also proves that we on this forum really don't know a thing. All we can do is guess about why Apple operates the way it does.

• Reply 120 of 159
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    macrulez wrote: »
    What good is a standard if it's easily discarded to bend to the whims of any single manufacturer?

Replace "Apple" with "Dell" above and see if you feel as favorable about it.
    what does that have to do with what I said? Never said anything had to be discarded, just updated. Any manufacturer should be able to have an input and get standards modified if needed. I never meant to imply any company should be able to make any change they want no matter what, but Apple has the best track record or any... so when I said "X, Y, and Z" i should have noted they were very updated current newer tech and good "green" things. EPEAT is like any other committee... it takes 10 years to get anything done.