Court grants Samsung request to expedite Galaxy Nexus injunction appeal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 119
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

7?

Let's see. The device is available on a ton of carriers world wide, available at Sprint and Verizon in the US, and they're also available at 349 off contract for any GSM carrier.

If you're trying to take a stab at fragmentation, then that's why you buy a Nexus device. People who truly care about updates for Android accept this and buy a Nexus phone. If they still care and want different hardware, then they already know they have to wait for manufacturers and carriers to push out the updates later. 

There are no apps that are designed only for Jelly Bean. I don't see the problem.

The problem is you are supporting or defending the sale of stolen property.

Imagine you created an innovative, ground breaking product. A year or so later your next door neighbor showed off an identical version of your product, touting their intellectual creativity and ingenuity. How would that work for you?

• Reply 22 of 119
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Imagine you created an innovative, ground breaking product. A year or so later your next door neighbor showed off an identical version of your product, touting their intellectual creativity and ingenuity. How would that work for you?

I'm curious in what way you think the Galaxy Nexus is identical to the iPhone.

• Reply 23 of 119
    2stepbay wrote: »

show me where Android 4.0 is identical to iOS...

I'll be waiting.
  • Reply 24 of 119

Quote:

Am I?

Last I checked this was a FRAND issue and there is also no verdict.

This is nothing like any Apple product.

• Reply 25 of 119

Quote:

Last I checked this was a FRAND issue...

Not that I'm aware of. 

• Reply 26 of 119
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Hey there!  Finally, someone who can help me out.  Can you tell me where I may find the Apple evangelical group meetings for my local chapter?  I have a few friends at work that are constantly yacking it up about their Android phones and I am beginning to feel rather hurt and isolated.  Could really use the support of some of our brethren.

• Reply 27 of 119
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Which will make you one of the 7 people on the planet who have been able to upgrade to the latest version of Android.

Samsung only sold 32 million cell phones in 2011Q4.  I'm sure you're pretty close with that guesstimate of 7 being the Nexus.

• Reply 28 of 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

it's quite simple. Apple will be screwed in Korea. Samsung will be screwed in U.S. It's common sense that the legal system of any nation will favor it's own company over a foreign entity. you're a moron if you believe the U.S. courts will damage Apple's business and hand over the entire U.S. market to Samsung. As time passes, it's the Koreans who will get more desperate because Samsung is practically HALF of the entire Korean economy. If Samsung gets screwed, the entire Korean nation will be screwed.

If apple gets screwed, who cares? There are hundreds of gigantic global money making machines in the U.S. that can step up and replace Apple any time. Korea doesn't have this luxury...entire nation depends on Samsung and maybe Hyundai, LG? 3 companies, that's it. 

Your supesition doesn't fit the facts. While South Koreans are proud of Samsung as a national company, they LOVE Apple products and buy them in droves.

• Reply 29 of 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I'll be waiting.

Samsung products: So identical to Apple products that their own lawyers can't tell them apart.

• Reply 30 of 119
    Samsung products: So identical to Apple products that their own lawyers can't tell them apart.

Again...show me where Android 4.0 is identical to iOS

Hell show me where ANY Samsung Nexus product is identical to any iOS product...

Again I'll be waiting.
  • Reply 31 of 119

Quote:

Again...show me where Android 4.0 is identical to iOS

Hell show me where ANY Samsung Nexus product is identical to any iOS product...

Again I'll be waiting.

They can both make phone calls

I'll let you know when I think of something else....

• Reply 32 of 119
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    7?

Let's see. The device is available on a ton of carriers world wide, available at Sprint and Verizon in the US, and they're also available at 349 off contract for any GSM carrier.

If you're trying to take a stab at fragmentation, then that's why you buy a Nexus device. People who truly care about updates for Android accept this and buy a Nexus phone. If they still care and want different hardware, then they already know they have to wait for manufacturers and carriers to push out the updates later. 

There are no apps that are designed only for Jelly Bean. I don't see the problem.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'm curious in what way you think the Galaxy Nexus is identical to the iPhone.

There is no problem... There both just a couple of ignorant Anti-Anything-But-Apple Trolls.

Anyway... Been running Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus for a few days now and find it a far more fluid, refined and comprehensive mobile expereince than my iPhone 4S, and from what was announced for iOS 6 (a rather minor update seemingly worthy only a .x version number change at best) that's not likely to change anytime soon.
  • Reply 33 of 119
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

I'm not getting all fighty here but i really don't think this is the case.

out of absolutely everyone i know (I'm talking about many many android users) none of them really were aware of the lack of support when it comes to a new OS updates, so these people are from co-workers to close friends & varie in intelligence & geeky-tech know how, the phone carriers to the manufacturers don't keep them informed at all.

So the idea that android users (that don't have a nexus device) know that they might never get an update or have to wait maybe a year for it, is so far off the mark, is silly, it is not obvious to most, at all that if they want to stay current, they need a nexus.

but going forward if someone i know asks me what android phone they should get, it gives strong argument for them to go with a nexus, are they ever as good as the flagship samsung or HTCs tho?.

only reason i bring this up, is that you causally mention like its no biggy & people that don't buy nexus just know that they might have to wait, which is a load, right on the faces of 99% of android users that don't have Jelly Bean :P  

PS , Im really not after a flame war, i really don't need it, i'm going to a family dinner tonight....so i need my patience 

• Reply 34 of 119
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I just placed my order for one. :D

Thanks Apple. :D

My, oh my!

Look at all these bad boy trolls in this thread.

You guys are scary!

Sesame Street.png

You should all hold off until the next version comes out.

I hear it that one will have class and refinement added.

Or was it the one after?

I can't remember...

LL.png

• Reply 35 of 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

My, oh my!

Look at all these bad boy trolls in this thread.

You guys are scary!

Sesame Street.png

You should all hold off until the next version comes out.

I hear it that one will have class and refinement added.

Or was it the one after?

I can't remember...

LL.png

I kinda agree there was some piling on in replies to 2StepBay's "identical product" post. I don't think it helps anything to be pounced on by multiple posters. My question was a sincere one. I really did wish to know what he perceived as identical. He may have logical and real examples, or perhaps he just used the wrong term and meant similar, or maybe he's misunderstood something he read somewhere. In any case there's no need to poke fun or intimidate him. Give him a chance to explain his view.

• Reply 36 of 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

There is no problem... There both just a couple of ignorant Anti-Anything-But-Apple Trolls.

Anyway... Been running Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus for a few days now and find it a far more fluid, refined and comprehensive mobile expereince than my iPhone 4S, and from what was announced for iOS 6 (a rather minor update seemingly worthy only a .x version number change at best) that's not likely to change anytime soon.

Interesting.  The reviews I've read still don't think Jellybean is up to the level of smoothness of iOS.  Guess I'll find out myself when my Nexus 7 eventually ships.  Was never impressed with the Galaxy Nexus hardware (especially not the screen or the old GPU they inexplicably equipped it with)- I couldn't see buying one of those now when the hardware is so far behind what the state of things are in the Android device world- At the very least I'd wait for the next Nexus device so I'd get timely updates.

• Reply 37 of 119

Quote:

I'll be waiting.

Back with your trolling I see.

A product doesn't have to be "identical" to be copied. If a feature or subset of the product as a whole is copied that's enough. Nobody believes that Samsung has made 100% duplicates (KIRF's) of Apple products, so your request to "show me where 4.0 is identical" is assinine.

• Reply 38 of 119
    goodgriefgoodgrief Posts: 137member

Quote:

I'll be waiting.

Good fricking gravy. You just can't help it, can you?

Ok, fine.

It's identical here, and there, and there. Also there, and that spot over there ... all identical. Plus, if you turn the curvy bit here on it's side - also identical, it's just rotated 90 degrees.

Q.E.D.

Go ahead, prove my statements wrong. I'll be waiting.

• Reply 39 of 119
    goodgriefgoodgrief Posts: 137member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I kinda agree there was some piling on in replies to 2StepBay's "identical product" post. I don't think it helps anything to be pounced on by multiple posters.

As long as you get to do the pouncing, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

My question was a sincere one.

Then you framed it wrong. Very, very wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I really did wish to know what he perceived as identical. He may have logical and real examples, or perhaps he just used the wrong term and meant similar, or maybe he's misunderstood something he read somewhere. In any case there's no need to poke fun or intimidate him. Give him a chance to explain his view.

Read the post again (all of you):

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

There are two separate statements there. 1) That buying a device that incorporates stolen [intellectual] property is supporting the theft (which it is). 2) Posing the hypothetical "what if ... how would you feel" question to illustrate the desire someone might have to protect the intellectual property they believed to be rightfully theirs.

If 2stepbay wants to chime in and state they were implying that the Galaxy Nexus is identical to an iPhone, or Android is identical to iOS, the so be it. If that's the case then I'm completely off base here, and I admit it. Until they do however, you've got nothing other than taking a single word out of context and drawing a conclusion that doesn't necessarily follow.

Perhaps if your comprehension fails and you would like to know what someone means, then you could ask them instead of assuming a meaning on their behalf and challenging them to defend it.

• Reply 40 of 119
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I have several Apple products including an iPad and a Galaxy Nexus. All are great devices. The IOS and Android are completely different. Anyone who says they are the same is an idiot.

I had to get the Galaxy because I needed 4g speed and I like the larger screen. It is easier for my old eyes to read. While the retina display is great, it is still too small for me. I also need the ability to move files between my phone and computers via USB for my work.

I also have to use Verizon as It is the only carrier that covers all of my sales territory. I originally got a droid and got used to it. The Nexus is an excellent phone I am sure that the iPhones is as well.

I hope Apple does not get these products banned. I do not think that the software patents are ultimately enforceable in these cases and are quite weak. A ban would be an improper remedy in my opinion. Not a lawyer, just applying a little common sense....

I don't really blame Apple for trying this crap, but I do blame the broken patent system and would like to see an end to these frivolous patent wars.....