Upgrading to iOS 5.1.1 from a JailBroken iOS 4.2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Updating Jailbreak iPhone from iTunes, if i remember correctly, should only means all my Apps that were not installed through iTunes could not function, And All my Contact List, Photos, etc should remain intact.

I did that, and upon Installation, the iPhone ask me to set it up as a New iPhone or restore from Backup on iTunes. I try restore from iTunes but it keeps telling to plug my iPhone to my computer, which i already did.

So what i did was ( i now think that is rather stupid ) to restore from iTunes with my previous backup, right before I update to iOS 5.1.1

But it took more then 3 hours and i was in a hurry. So i pulled the plug......

Now i dont want to Jailbreak any more. So i only want a function iPhone with all my Whatsapp history, photos etc....

Do Restoring from Backup means i go back to JailBreak iOS 4.2? or Does it Only restore my Apps and photos etc along with iOS 5.1.1?

My Half restored iPhone now lost all the contact in Phonebook and i am a little desperate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Just DFU restore to the newest firmware. No biggie.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Would DFU mode restore me to iOS 5.1.1 or exactly the same as my backup status ( Which was jailBroken )?

What would happen to my Contacts and Apps?

• Reply 3 of 5
    DFU, install whatever's newest, and then restore. Restore only does your stuff, not the software. That goes for all Apple products that have the ability to restore from a backup.
  • Reply 4 of 5

Hi guys

How do i update my iphone 3g to version

5.1 currently i have version 4.2and whenever i download an app it doesn't work

Regards

Huebuensky

• Reply 5 of 5

You’ll want to follow the instructions here (where it says “Using iTunes”).