Apple acknowledges 'mistake,' places eligible products back on EPEAT

Comments

• Reply 121 of 159
    retinaretina Posts: 8member
    BuffyzDead wrote: »
    It's the only logical move.

If the freaking computer happens to meet the EPEAT whatever, then why not just leave it there.

No Sweat !
    Easy Peasy !

The whole planet pretends like the world is not worse off today than it was yesterday, and it will be worse off tomorrow, than it was today.

Fewer resources every passing day.
    More pollution every passing day.

This ONLY goes in One direction.

Glancing at the responses, this is the only comment I found out of the 120 that were available as of the time of this writing that apparently gets it. You can have Energy Star 10.0: The Next Generation, or EPEAT Titanium XXX, this is all BS 2.0 and politics 101.

This reads like the city of San Francisco just saved the planet. Well, it didn't. If every last computer, tablet, cellphone were all of a sudden made of 100% biodegradable material tomorrow, we're still hurdling towards a catastrophe that nobody can yet even imagine until it actually starts to happen, which is unfortunately also the time that it will be too late to do anything about it.

And I'll leave it at that, because I will be told by a moderator that this is way OT (off-topic), which is true, of course, and which will be true for a few more decades, but to get back on topic, there is definitely not an app for that! ;-)
  • Reply 122 of 159
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Apple is a company without flaws. So the Super Jesus is applauding while watching this unfolds on AppleTV in his nine-feet-under world.

• Reply 123 of 159
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Good move by Apple. Why hurt sales if its not necessary or produvts are EPEAT.

• Reply 124 of 159
    EPEAT need to be updated anyway. They are still running on coal!

Besides, government bodies are readily to use any excuses to be 'with the public' so to avoid political spins etc. just leave them there. Might be difficult in the future though with thinner screens et al. Apple moved too quickly I think and now have to return back with the rest of the industry, PC in particular since they are still with open computing, literally.
  • Reply 125 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    EPEAT need to be updated anyway. They are still running on coal! Besides, government bodies are readily to use any excuses to be 'with the public' so to avoid political spins etc. just leave them there. Might be difficult in the future though with thinner screens et al. Apple moved too quickly I think and now have to return back with the rest of the industry, PC in particular since they are still with open computing, literally.

We'll get a better idea of what has happened if the RMBP doesn't get dropped from Gold status.
  • Reply 126 of 159
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

No, it sounds more like a smart compromise on both sides. Apple apologized for acting hasty, and EPEAT acknowledged Apple's point and gave the Macbook Pro a Gold rating. It sounds like a win win for both Apple and EPEAT. Apple had more to lose than EPEAT. 

Quote:

• Reply 127 of 159
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    You're all wrong! Apple had intended to request that all [I]Samsung[/I] products be removed from the EPEAT list. Autocorrection changed Samsung to Apple.
  • Reply 128 of 159
    retinaretina Posts: 8member
    cpsro wrote: »
    You're all wrong! Apple had intended to request that all Samsung products be removed from the EPEAT list. Autocorrection changed Samsung to Apple.

Darn auto-correct.
  • Reply 129 of 159

I really don't give a rat's ass if my macbook passes some ecological standard. Wait, oh yes I do! Because all of the processes and procedures, licensing, special decals, blah, blah, blah of all the crap I don't give a rat's ass about adds to the cost of my macbook. Jackwads. Truly retarded move.

• Reply 130 of 159
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Maybe, but I don't buy this version of events. For one thing, Apple took a PR hit. For another the Green Electronics Council would have gone out of its way to accommodate Apple anyway. There is absolutely no reason to believe they were being intransigent with Apple.

I think Apple simply saw EPEAT as a bureaucratic requirement and failed to understand the value of it as a signal of intent to environmentally conscious consumers.

A few days ago, the Macbook Retina didn't qualify for EPEAT. A few days later, it's listed as Gold Standard on the EPEAT site.  Not sure what was going on here, but if Apple didn't take the PR hit then it would look like they simply bought their certification, and the fallout for both Apple and EPEAT would be a whole lot worse.

"So let me get this straight", writes hit-hunting IT pundit. "Apple, one of the original founders of EPEAT, mysteriously gets the nod from their pet standards body for a piece of kit that can't taken apart by the keen hobbyist?"

If this was indeed a power-play by Apple (and I'd be concerned that they would play fast and loose with their reputation when they're not getting the best press at the moment) then they probably decided that eating humble pie now would be a lot better than facing accusations of bribery later on.

• Reply 131 of 159
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

Steve dies, Apple missteps are growing in number.  It's sad watching this.

• Reply 132 of 159
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    mike fix wrote: »
    Not a misstep. After the second reversal, it seems to have been a calculated move to gain EPEAT certification for the new laptops.
  • Reply 133 of 159
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member
    deleted
  • Reply 134 of 159
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mike fix wrote: »

Trolls banned, hundreds more take their place and don't get banned because I'm not in charge of that.

It's sad watching this.
  • Reply 135 of 159

Sounds like their hubris got the best of them on this. It's good to eat some humble pie now and then to keep leveled. The world isn't always going to fall it's knees and agree & accept everything they do.

• Reply 136 of 159
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Sounds like their hubris got the best of them on this. It's good to eat some humble pie now and then to keep leveled. The world isn't always going to fall it's knees and agree & accept everything they do.

Sounds more like none of us knows squat about what actually happened.
  • Reply 137 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Not a misstep. After the second reversal, it seems to have been a calculated move to gain EPEAT certification for the new laptops.

Please, it was a misstep, and a clear one. It's unbelievable that some of you can't accept the fact that Apple makes mistakes, like the rest of us. The good news is that unlike many other corporations, Apple is still able to reverse itself on a dime and this is a great example.

• Reply 138 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

A few days ago, the Macbook Retina didn't qualify for EPEAT. A few days later, it's listed as Gold Standard on the EPEAT site.  Not sure what was going on here, but if Apple didn't take the PR hit then it would look like they simply bought their certification, and the fallout for both Apple and EPEAT would be a whole lot worse.

"So let me get this straight", writes hit-hunting IT pundit. "Apple, one of the original founders of EPEAT, mysteriously gets the nod from their pet standards body for a piece of kit that can't taken apart by the keen hobbyist?"

If this was indeed a power-play by Apple (and I'd be concerned that they would play fast and loose with their reputation when they're not getting the best press at the moment) then they probably decided that eating humble pie now would be a lot better than facing accusations of bribery later on.

Nobody actually said the rMBP did not qualify for retina. It was presumed based on iFixit's bad evaluation. But repair and recycling are not the same thing, and EPEAT never said anything about the rMBP, and still hasn't. Apple has made the claim that it is EPEAT gold, but I have not seen the items it says it qualifies under. Note that some EPEAT items are optional.

• Reply 139 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Not seeing that yet. Apple made mistakes with Steve too.

My fear is that the company has lost it's ability to disrupt new markets, but this won't be clear for years. Steve is still in the product pipeline...

• Reply 140 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Nobody actually said the rMBP did not qualify for retina. It was presumed based on iFixit's bad evaluation. But repair and recycling are not the same thing, and EPEAT never said anything about the rMBP, and still hasn't. Apple has made the claim that it is EPEAT gold, but I have not seen the items it says it qualifies under. Note that some EPEAT items are optional.
    Screw iFixit. All this nonsense started with them because they whined about the rMBP not being upgradable by the average joe using commin tools. That got picked up by all the tech blogs and now you have people claiming when the rMBP battery dies the whole thing will end up in a landfill somewhere, Not one shrewd of evidence to support this but hey iFixit gave it a 1/10 so that must make it true, no?