Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: AirPlay Mirroring

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Apple blames Quicksync for only supporting new Macs.

Got a link to Apple's statement?

• Reply 22 of 117
    goodgriefgoodgrief Posts: 137member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Why do people call this "mirroring" when it doesn't reverse right and left like a mirror? Makes no sense to me.

Apple is usually better with its terminology ("logic board" instead of "mommy board," and "restart" instead of "put on new boots.") In fact, I had to switch to the Mac because Windows made me put new boots on the computer so often that I got in trouble for impersonating a shoe salesman.

Maybe geeks never look in mirrors and don't know from personal experience how they work. Come to think of it, from the way some geeks look, that might be true.

mirror: "something that gives a true representation"

(from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mirror)

or, mirror: "a thing regarded as accurately representing something else"

(from http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/mirror?q=mirror)

or perhaps, mirror: "something that gives a minutely faithful representation, image, or idea of something else"

(from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mirror?s=t&ld=1032)

Maybe geeks know how to use a dictionary. ;)

• Reply 23 of 117

So, does this mean that I can finally play music from iTunes while mirroring the iTunes visualizer on my TV?  Cool!  Also, is there a way to remotely control my Mac using my iPhone 4S?  My Mac mini is in the downstairs rec room and will be streaming to our living room HDTV.

• Reply 24 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

mirror: "something that gives a true representation"

(from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mirror)

or, mirror: "a thing regarded as accurately representing something else"

(from http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/mirror?q=mirror)

or perhaps, mirror: "something that gives a minutely faithful representation, image, or idea of something else"

(from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mirror?s=t&ld=1032)

Maybe geeks know how to use a dictionary. ;)

Thank you.

• Reply 25 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Additionally, because AirPlay involves encryption of streamed data, it's not easy for third party developers to send data to AirPlay devices.

Perhaps not "easy", but Rogue Amoeba's AirFoil and AirFoil Speakers tools have been offering audio streaming from any app to AirTunes/AirPlay compatible devices - including other Macs, Windows machines and iOS devices - for years.  I hope this isn't considered Mt Lion's "killer" feature.

• Reply 26 of 117
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It's a shame not all Macs able to run Mountain Lion have this feature.
    b9bot wrote: »
    That's right, if your Mac isn't new, you don't get airplay. :-(

This will be one number on one line of one .plist to change. Just like the first-gen iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 117

Quote:

Why do people call this "mirroring" when it doesn't reverse right and left like a mirror? Makes no sense to me.

Apple is usually better with its terminology ("logic board" instead of "mommy board," and "restart" instead of "put on new boots.") In fact, I had to switch to the Mac because Windows made me put new boots on the computer so often that I got in trouble for impersonating a shoe salesman.

Maybe geeks never look in mirrors and don't know from personal experience how they work. Come to think of it, from the way some geeks look, that might be true.

because in Apples case its more accurate - although i bet it contains at least some analog circuitry along with the logic.

pretending its sometimes called a mommy board was silly, often referred to (for many years) as a motherboard, since those would have daughter boards plugged in - see mother ship 

• Reply 28 of 117
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

are you serious? who cares about that?

• Reply 29 of 117
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member

Like a mirror? You do not agree with a term? And if you are critisizing the naming (or something else) propose your naming (solution). Because without a solution - that is what you do - bitc5ing.

You try to define a mirror like something what reverses right and left. But this is not the main definition of what mirror is. 'Reversion' is an effect of 'reflection', but it is not a main 'feature' of the mirror.

The better definition of mirror is for example this:

mirror is an object that reflects light or sound in a way that preserves much of its original quality prior to its contact with the mirror.

And as you can see, the information displayed on both displays is pretty much identical - preserves much of its original quality.

That is why RAID1 is called also mirroring (exact copy), even though it has nothing to do with light and reflection.

P.S.  

By the way, why do you think it reverses left and right? Why not top and bottom? ;)

And mother board is also a good name (also called main board). You put things in it ;) Think about VGA connection as well. ;)

Re-booting often on windows? I remember I run my Windows XP 2 months without rebooting, hibernation, or switching off. Depends on which components you have, which drivers the manufacturers have written for their hardware etc.

And even in non-computer world, there are diffirent words used in different parts of the country to describe the same thing. Don't be so much closed into your small and limited...

Quote:

• Reply 30 of 117
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

well, the real question of course is how useful adding Airplay Mirroring to desktop/laptop Macs really is.

as noted, you can use AirPlay now to show your iTunes movies and videos on your TV. but how many actually do that from their Mac?

i use the iPad version often for this. but then i'm sitting in front of the TV already in the same room. using a desktop located in some other room really isn't very practical at all. and why bother fussing with a laptop if you have an iPad? 

so the only consumer group i can see this being helpful for are latest MacBook owners who don't have an iPad. not a big number of people.

where this might prove useful is with business and education groups, for meetings and classroom use. we'll have to see how much it gets adopted there.

overall, it's a neat feature, but not a big deal.

• Reply 31 of 117
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

That limitation is nonsense... you can just get a wireless HD usb Kit - we have 2 at the office (wireless to 40inch samsung HDTV) and it works on everything above a c2D 2.4 in our experience. And it was 100 dollars from our Tech advisors.

• Reply 32 of 117
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

I add up all I’ve spent on miscellaneous audio and video adapters, extenders, and cables to trip over, for the various Apple devices that I connect to TV (or projector), and I think I’m over $100 and my setup looks like a mess! Four $15 cables and a couple $20-$30 Apple adapters and you’re there, and I’ve bought more than that over the years.

I’d have been better off with an Apple TV box. Sooner or later I’ll do that. As for using AppleTV for its own features? Netflix, iTunes rentals, photo slideshows, whatever else gets added? Just icing on the cake.

• Reply 33 of 117

that's cool.  I wonder then why they are not making it available for older MacBooks then?  To sell newer MBs?  Or probably its because the "experience" won't be flawless so they'd rather not give you the option.  That's typical Apple, and that's fine, but I'm glad there will be a workaround for those of us tolerant to possible issues (constant fan noise and heat, not keeping up w/ fast frame rates, etc).  I just want to display the web from my laptop to the big screen.

• Reply 34 of 117
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

4) Two mirrors will create an image that is not reversed from the original.

I love that.

Btw, the nomenclature also can be traced to its use in the phrase 'website mirroring.'

• Reply 35 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This will be one number on one line of one .plist to change. Just like the first-gen iPad.

I eagerly await the info on that then...
  • Reply 36 of 117
    richl wrote: »
    Is this accurate? It's not mentioned on Apple's website and other sources suggest that the feature does work on older Macs. Early betas certainly didn't support it on older Macs but I believe it was included in later builds. Has this changed again for the GM?

Actually it is very clearly stated on Apple's web site.

AirPlay Mirroring
    Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later. Supports the following Mac models:

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
    Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
    MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/
  • Reply 37 of 117
    djrumpy wrote: »
    You can do this with an older Mac via iTunes. It's not that big of a deal. The only limitation is that the display isn't mirrored on both displays, but only the target display.

Of course but this thread is about mirroring the actual Mac's screen content to an Apple TV not simply audio.
  • Reply 38 of 117
    munasmunas Posts: 14member

Have anyone tried AirPlay Mirroring on MacPro mid 2010 3.33GHz, or have an idea will it work on this kind of computer when Mountain Lion is installed?

• Reply 39 of 117
    Very annoying if I can't use this with my late 2010 MacBook Air. Only reason I bought Apple TV is in anticipation of this feature.

Fundamental point for me is, if it can work through iTunes, it should be able to do the same thing through the OS.

Back to the HDMI adaptor?
  • Reply 40 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

well, the real question of course is how useful adding Airplay Mirroring to desktop/laptop Macs really is.

as noted, you can use AirPlay now to show your iTunes movies and videos on your TV. but how many actually do that from their Mac?

i use the iPad version often for this. but then i'm sitting in front of the TV already in the same room. using a desktop located in some other room really isn't very practical at all. and why bother fussing with a laptop if you have an iPad? 

so the only consumer group i can see this being helpful for are latest MacBook owners who don't have an iPad. not a big number of people.

where this might prove useful is with business and education groups, for meetings and classroom use. we'll have to see how much it gets adopted there.

overall, it's a neat feature, but not a big deal.

I will use it for video I can't download or view on the iPad, such as anything still encoded in .FLV