Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: AirPlay Mirroring

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    munas wrote: »
    Have anyone tried AirPlay Mirroring on MacPro mid 2010 3.33GHz, or have an idea will it work on this kind of computer when Mountain Lion is installed?

See my post a few up listing the only officially supported Macs.
  • Reply 42 of 117
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I eagerly await the info on that then…

I'll actually go look for it in the GM right now. Hang on.
  • Reply 43 of 117
    coffeetime wrote: »
    So, does this mean that I can finally play music from iTunes while mirroring the iTunes visualizer on my TV?  .

Dude! That is so cool! I'm so glad I read this thread.. I would not have thought of that but it is so obvious!! DogCowabunga!
  • Reply 44 of 117
    Dude! That is so cool! I'm so glad I read this thread.. I would not have thought of that but it is so obvious!! DogCowabunga!

Break out the LSD again eh? /smile
  • Reply 45 of 117
    Very annoying if I can't use this with my late 2010 MacBook Air. Only reason I bought Apple TV is in anticipation of this feature.
    Fundamental point for me is, if it can work through iTunes, it should be able to do the same thing through the OS.
    Back to the HDMI adaptor?

Unless there is a hack ....
  • Reply 46 of 117
    I'll actually go look for it in the GM right now. Hang on.

I'll go brew some coffee ...
  • Reply 47 of 117
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Why do people call this "mirroring" when it doesn't reverse right and left like a mirror? Makes no sense to me.

Apple is usually better with its terminology ("logic board" instead of "mommy board," and "restart" instead of "put on new boots.") In fact, I had to switch to the Mac because Windows made me put new boots on the computer so often that I got in trouble for impersonating a shoe salesman.

Maybe geeks never look in mirrors and don't know from personal experience how they work. Come to think of it, from the way some geeks look, that might be true.

Apple has used the term "mother board".  They call it "logic board" when it's all one unit, but have had several products where there was a mother board and daughter board.

"Mirroring"?  You're doing it wrong.   You need to turn your Mac around so the TV acts like a mirror, like this where o is you:  |...o... |

You seem to be doing it like this: |...|...o.

• Reply 48 of 117
    I'll go brew some coffee …

Yeah, this could take… some time. Does anyone know why Spotlight refuses to actually search by file types? :lol: Spotlight never has liked searching in the System folder at all…

• Reply 49 of 117
    A [I]Samsung[/I] HDTV, Daniel?

Really?
  • Reply 50 of 117
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    2) what happens to video displayed on a web-page? Particularly Flash Video? If one goes into full screen mode, I assume the Flash video then simply fills the TV screen as well. So as long as the application, browser, etc. supports full screen there will be no issues. But what if the application doesn't support it? Will OS X Provide the option?

I haven't had the chance to test extensively, but I watched some PBS Frontline episodes, that are flash based, over Airplay Mirroring, no lag, no choppiness, no noticeable difference between what was displayed through my projector or on the laptop screen. I'm using a base RMBP and the projector is a 1080p one. The Apple TV is also set to 1080p, but I don't know what the source quality was, i.e. what the Frontline episodes were playing back at.
  • Reply 51 of 117
    Yeah, this could take… some time. Does anyone know why Spotlight refuses to actually search by file types? :lol: Spotlight never has liked searching in the System folder at all…
    R
    Spotlight is one of my least liked features since it came out I must admit. I bet there are far better third party apps, something that searches ~/Library too. I must look into that.

Please send me a message if you find any solution, I'd hate to miss it to test on my poor old ancient mid 2010 MBP.

Meanwhile I just tested on a 2011 MBP (borrowed the wife's) and AirPlay mirroring is brilliant. No problem playing just about any video file type .mkv etc. full screen with audio via Apple TV using the latest VLC. This is huge for those of us that like to rip their BR vids for convenience. No need to Handbrake.
  • Reply 52 of 117
    Please send me a message if you find any solution, I'd hate to miss it to test on my poor old ancient mid 2010 MBP.

Oh, I'm sure if I can't find it that once ML has been officially released, someone will within a week or so. Or at the very least a <10kb fix.
  • Reply 53 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

It'll search by the extension but for KEXT and other things not in the common areas you'll have to click the (+) sign, select System Files — which you may have to the permanent dropbox list — and then choose the Are Included option to see them.
  • Reply 54 of 117
    munasmunas Posts: 14member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

See my post a few up listing the only officially supported Macs.

Thank you. I was hoping for something like "officially - not, but if you ..... it works" :)

• Reply 55 of 117
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Actually it is very clearly stated on Apple's web site.

AirPlay Mirroring

Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later. Supports the following Mac models:

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)

Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)

MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)

MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Aha, thanks. This information hadn't made it onto Apple's website the last time that I looked.

• Reply 56 of 117
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    djrumpy wrote: »
    You can do this with an older Mac via iTunes.
    No you can't.
    AirPlay in iTunes is simply that. It plays something from iTunes on the computer to the AppleTV.
    AirPlay Mirroring in Mountain Lion will send everything on the computer display to the AppleTV.
    It is not simply sending a video from iTunes to AppleTV.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Why no system level multiple AirPlay speaker output like iTunes, Apple?! DUMB.

Same request for iOS 6!
  • Reply 58 of 117
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Actually this is wrong. Mirrors reverse forward-back. Think of the axis that passes through you perpendicular to the mirror surface. In virtue of reversing forward back they seem to be reversing left and right. This mistake gives rise to the old chestnut: why do mirrors reverse left-right and not up-down?

• Reply 59 of 117
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Sorry, my above remark was meant to be a response to this, but I can no longer see an edit function.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Actually, mirrors don't work that way either. Mirrors create one image from real-world objects, display it with right and left reversed, and do not project it anywhere else.

The terminology really hits the nail on the thumb, and I guess I have to get used to it.

• Reply 60 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    eluard wrote: »
    Actually this is wrong. Mirrors reverse forward-back. Think of the axis that passes through you perpendicular to the mirror surface. In virtue of reversing forward back they seem to be reversing left and right. This mistake gives rise to the old chestnut: why do mirrors reverse left-right and not up-down?

If our eyes were placed top/bottom instead of left/right would mirrors then have the perpendicular effect?