Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Fresh reports from Chinese sources claim Apple's next-generation handset has entered the production phase complete with design changes including the addition of glass to the unit's "uni-body" backplate.

A trusted source notified Japanese language Mac blog MacOtakara on Saturday that Chinese manufacturers have started to ramp up production of Apple's new iPhone, which the site calls "iPhone 5," and adds the unit may bear some minor design changes from parts allegedly leaked in May.

While previous reports pointed to a "uni-body" chassis that featured a two-tone all-metal design, the purported production model will sport an inlayed glass piece between the backplate's top and bottom edges instead of leaving a bare aluminum surface. Unlike the iPhone 4 and 4S which boast a "glass sandwich" design with tough Gorilla Glass front and back coverings, the upcoming handset will reportedly have a backplate only "partially covered" by the tough material. The change could be in response to a rumored screen size bump to a 4-inch Retina display with 16:9 aspect ratio.

The source goes on to call the part seen in images and video circulating around the web a pre-production design built for prototype testing.

iPhone 5 Back Case
Source: MacOtakara

Notably absent from the latest chassis design is a small hole between the camera assembly and LED flash which some speculated to be a rear-facing microphone for video recording. The source notes, however, that the opening may still be present but is simply "invisible" to the naked eye.

Analysts pegged the September to October timeframe as a likely launch window for Apple's sixth-generation smartphone, in time for the lucrative holiday shopping season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 132
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member

Could be anywhere between Aug and Xmas. Probably with an updated imac and spin off on ipad. Holding off on buying a new phone just because of this dammit. Need a new imac as well. Bring it on...

• Reply 2 of 132
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member

Quote:

Fresh reports from Chinese sources claim production of Apple's next-generation handset is underway ahead of a possible fall launch date, with allegedly finalized design appearing employ glass on the rear of the unit.

Please, please, please, have an editor read your copy before you post it. I can't even figure out what you're actually saying. Does the final design employ glass on the rear of the unit? or does it just look like glass?

• Reply 3 of 132
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

The leaked parts we’ve seen for months were never "two-tone" metal, and never had an all-metal back. They ALWAYS had overlaid glass on the back (two pieces).

This rumor contains no design change after all.

• Reply 4 of 132
    xavier83xavier83 Posts: 63member

A rear microphone for self recording thats awesome, does any other phone have that? ...

• Reply 5 of 132

It'd be awesome to see more colors than black/white/silver. I'd be all over a dark red one.

• Reply 6 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It'd be awesome to see more colors than black/white/silver. I'd be all over a dark red one.

So you can say they are copying someone else who has a red phone?¡
  • Reply 7 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...what?

• Reply 8 of 132
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    solipsismx wrote: »

What? Bruce Wayne will sue for copying the Batphone?
  • Reply 9 of 132
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'm wondering if I really want a larger iPhone. Perhaps a smaller iPhone, like really small and then have an iPad mini to do browsing and maps. With Siri you could conceivably have an iPhone like 50 mm square, even wrist style, that would do voice search everything and even FaceTime. Everything else would be better on an iPad mini anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 132
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    xavier83 wrote: »
    A rear microphone for self recording
    A rear microphone would not be for recording yourself unless you turn your phone around so you cannot see the screen when you record yourself.
  • Reply 11 of 132
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    What? Bruce Wayne will sue for copying the Batphone?

Or this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow–Washington_hotline
  • Reply 12 of 132
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

A rear microphone would not be for recording yourself unless you turn your phone around so you cannot see the screen when you record yourself.

And yet, that's how the current iPod touch is configured. The microphone is adjacent to the rear-facing camera. If you use the iPod touch as a VoIP phone (e.g., using Talkatone and Google Voice), you should turn it upside down and backwards.

The iPhone 4S has a second microphone on the top of the handset for ambient noise analysis. It really doesn't need to be there. It could easily move to the rear-facing camera.

• Reply 13 of 132
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    nagromme wrote: »
    The leaked parts we’ve seen for months were never "two-tone" metal, and never had an all-metal back. They ALWAYS had overlaid glass on the back (two pieces).

This rumor contains no design change after all.

I don't think the construction was readily apparent either way. It looked like it might have been a different material, but if so, the edges and seemingly nonexistent or incredibly tight seams hid that fact very well. It looked at least as plausible to be a different texture of metal.
  • Reply 14 of 132
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

...what?

He's calling you an Android troll on an Apple centric forum. Or don't you get that? Try reading your own post history. Duh.

• Reply 15 of 132
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Hopeful Apple realizes that hardware is as important as the operating software.

• Reply 16 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bushman4 wrote: »
    Hopeful Apple realizes that hardware is as important as the operating software.

Apple is a software company, said Steve.

But "people that love software want to do their own hardware. "
  • Reply 17 of 132
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I don't think the construction was readily apparent either way. It looked like it might have been a different material, but if so, the edges and seemingly nonexistent or incredibly tight seams hid that fact very well. It looked at least as plausible to be a different texture of metal.

Liquidmetal maybe ..... / music from outer limits
  • Reply 18 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

He's calling you an Android troll on an Apple centric forum. Or don't you get that? Try reading your own post history. Duh.

Oh gosh... I'm so sorry I'm and Android user guys.

I guess I'll throw my macbook away in shame.

• Reply 19 of 132
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Using partial glass on the rear of the phone makes sense if they plan to utilize NFC. If it was an all metal back, NFC is not possible.
  • Reply 20 of 132

How much time does Apple need to make twenty-million iPhones to have on hand at a launch? How many iPhones can fit into a 747 cargo plane? I would like Apple Insider to research this and give us the answers. That would be an interesting article.