Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow

Comments

• Reply 41 of 132
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

With your persistent grumbling about all things Apple, I highly doubt that YOU will be happy, whatever Apple does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I've owned and used Apple products for many, many years

They've made a lot of mis-steps lately...

They've squandered their lead in smart phones by failing to innovate

... in some ways iOS 6 is a big step backwards

...Apple have willingly crippled the iPhone 5, and anyone foolish enough to 'upgrade' with a vastly inferior mapping product. 

The lack of a modern screen size for the iPhone...

Then there's the skeumorphic design, which is beyond hideous...

Thank you for proving my point.

You're already unhappy with a product that's yet to be announced, yet alone released!

I wonder, is there anything from Apple you have actually liked?

It must be painful for you, using your Apple products that you see as so flawed.

• Reply 42 of 132
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    bushman4 wrote: »
    Hopeful Apple realizes that hardware is as important as the operating software.

Apple already knows that. They also know that specs for the sake of saying you have it is stupid so they don't play that game.
  • Reply 43 of 132
    The back glass is not Gorilla glass on the 4 and 4s.
  • Reply 44 of 132
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

You're already unhappy with a product that's yet to be announced, yet alone released!

I wonder, is there anything from Apple you have actually liked?

It must be painful for you, using your Apple products that you see as so flawed.

The iPod was for many years completely untouchable, the best in it's class by far. I loved it.

The iPhone 3G was a worthy successor, a revelation in portable computing. It amazed me on a regular basis.

I liked my iPhone 4 a fair bit too, until iOS 5 slowed it down to a crawl and I saw the competition match and then surpass it.

I complain about Apple stuff because that's what I have and use. Android has a world of problems too, but different problems to iOS. Android has far superior hardware, and a generally better and more modern OS, but it's app selection is poorer, there's no equivalent for iTunes Match (Google Music is US only), there are no Android/Googe stores so no genius bar or equivalent, the choice of handsets means the eco system is a fragmented mess, the Google Play store has no TV shows or music (outside the US), Google TV is even worse than Apple TV, and Google's desktop strategy (Chrome OS) is a total joke.

So I'm no Android fanboy, far from it, I just want Apple to catch up in the areas where they've fallen behind.  I'm not a fanboy of anything, I have a Windows 7 PC, a Macbook, an Xbox, a PS3, a Roku, and a load of other Apple kit.

• Reply 45 of 132
    kotatsu wrote: »
    T, and in some ways iOS 6 is a big step backwards - the lack of the superb Google Maps with street view and very in depth local information is a massive, completely insane mis-step.  

You are really going to diss a product that hasn't been released yet? That you haven't used in final release form yet?
    Then there's the skeumorphic design, which is beyond hideous.

It's cheesy sure, but it is far from unusable for the mass public, regardless of how you feel about it
    I've owned and used Apple products for many, many years, but they're being eaten alive by Google right now and that doesn't need to be the case.

The collective mass of all things Android sure, just like the collective of all computers running Windows beats Mac OS. But if we were to break it down by actual phone hardware or even company does that still hold true, especially if adjusted for returns.

And in the end does the percent of marketshare really reflect Apple losing sales or are their sales rising/steady while the grand total of the market goes up as folks are wooed by those cheap Android phones they are then stuck with for at least a year due to carrier contracts etc
  • Reply 46 of 132
    chia wrote: »

One like minded person, especially on a forum where for all we know you are shagging, besties or even perhaps the same person posting under two names, hardly proves your point.
  • Reply 47 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Someone seriously wants a 4.8 inch screen phone? A phone? Derick Zoolander must be turning over in his grave. (aside: is he dead yet?)

I have come to the conclusion people who want a screen that size never use the phone as a phone, because it looks friggin' stupid holding something that size against your head.

Phones are not just phones anymore...

If you want to talk by it, you can use a hand free Bluetooth, but if you want to use the multimedia features or internet browser a big screen is much better.

• Reply 48 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If you want to talk by it, you can use a hand free Bluetooth, but if you want to use the multimedia features or internet browser a big screen is much better.

Your comment doesn't address any reasonable size, weight, and other physical dimension limits. This goes both ways which is the Zoolander comment is funny and relevant (even though the movie wasn't). Bottom line: if you go too big or too small it loses much of its intended utility regardless of the what is written on a spec sheet.

Is 4.8" too big? For me it is, and by a large margin, but I can see how some people would want that as their pocketable phone. Is
  • Reply 49 of 132
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Absolutely.

If I was to list what my most used apps on my iPhone were it would be something like Downcast (podcast app), Audible, Google Maps, Waze, Chrome, GMail, iMessage, Flipbook, Google+, Twitter, Camera, and then a bunch of games. I must have made, in total, less than 50 phones calls on iPhones in all the years I've used them, and all but a couple of those were using the headphone mic.

Just my experience obviously. I'd love a bigger screen on my iPhone. If Apple were to offer one the size of a Galaxy Note 2, I'd snap it up.

• Reply 50 of 132
    irontedironted Posts: 129member

The iSheeps have no tolerance for Andorid users here, bro!

• Reply 51 of 132
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    ironted wrote: »
    The iSheeps have no tolerance for Andorid users here, bro!

Haha, you gotta be trolling with a comment like that.
    I probably own more android devices then you anyways :p :p
  • Reply 52 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Just buy an Android phone. Problem solved. Then begone.

Banishment is too good for the infidel.  Off with his head!

But seriously - is an echo chamber where one preaches to the choir desirable?  Are new ideas heresy?  What do you do when the emperor really is NOT wearing new clothes?  Groupthink is very destructive.  

• Reply 53 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I especially don't understand why Samsung does so well.

Because they present compelling value propositions to consumers.  

• Reply 54 of 132
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Just curious how a bigger screen size on a phone = innovation. It's just a bigger screen. Probably a result of larger battery needed for LTE. People say Retina is nothing more than marketing. Well couldn't the same be said about phone screen size? Basically AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and the OEM's pushing bigger screens as being better (rather than admitting the bigger screen is needed for a bigger battery more than anything else).

For me innovation is in the quality of the hardware and the software, not the screen size.
  • Reply 55 of 132
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    charlituna wrote: »
    You are really going to diss a product that hasn't been released yet? That you haven't used in final release form yet?
    It's cheesy suture, but it is far from unusable for the mass public, regardless of how you feel about it
    The collective mass of all things Android sure, just like the collective of all computers running Windows beats Mac OS. But if we were to break it down by actual phone hardware or even company does that still hold true, especially if adjusted for returns.
    And in the end does the percent of marketshare really reflect Apple losing sales or are their sales rising/steady while the grand total of the market goes up as folks are wooed by those cheap Android phones they are then stuck with for at least a year due to carrier contracts etc
    In what measurable way is Apple being eaten alive by Google? So more phones run Android software just like more PC's run Windows. So what? Apple still eats their lunch in terms of revenues, profits and customer satisfaction. I know which company I'd rather be invested with.
  • Reply 56 of 132
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just curious how a bigger screen size on a phone = innovation. It's just a bigger screen. Probably a result of larger battery needed for LTE. People say Retina is nothing more than marketing. Well couldn't the same be said about phone screen size? Basically AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and the OEM's pushing bigger screens as being better (rather than admitting the bigger screen is needed for a bigger battery more than anything else).

For me innovation is in the quality of the hardware and the software, not the screen size.

Man, took the words right outta my brain 

• Reply 57 of 132
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

charlituna said:

One like minded person, hardly proves your point.

What point did you think I was making?

My point was that he's consistently whines about Apple getting things wrong.

I think I made a fair point in saying it'll be surprising if he was happy with the new iPhone.

• Reply 58 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Dude, the iPad is the most innovative phone out there.  It's got a 9.7" screen, way better than a puny 4.8"!  And you can buy it with a no contract data plan and just use free VOIP apps!  The only downside is there are 10.1" tablets out there - those are .4" more innovative than the iPad! :O

(Also tired of people saying that increasing the size of the iPhone is "catching up" to anything, as if there are no tradeoffs to a larger screen size, only benefits)

• Reply 59 of 132

Banishment is too good for the infidel.  Off with his head!

But seriously - is an echo chamber where one preaches to the choir desirable?  Are new ideas heresy?  What do you do when the emperor really is NOT wearing new clothes?  Groupthink is very destructive.  

We're quite happy with echo chambers. Most of us are quite comfortable with what we like and even occasionally, dislike, about Apple.

If you're not, the door is open.
  • Reply 60 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'd really like a larger iPhone. When I see people using Galaxy S 3s and HTC OneXs then I look at my iPhone's puny little screen I'm rather jealous.

4.8" seems to be the standard now, and sadly Apple look to still be dragging their heels and refusing to keep up.

You hit the nail on the head with that post. It's not about Apple, it's about YOU and your jealously.

How long have you measured your self-worth by the size of the hardware in your pocket?

Just put one of these in your pocket and people will give you the attention you seek:

Where Android phones are headed