What to do? Imac but new thunderbolt no longer output, Apple let's future MAC PRO Slip, older woman!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok I used to sell my MacBook pro every get a knew one but haven't since 2008, mbp 08 duo core 2.4. My Pro tools project goes from buffer errors, (4 GB RAM) playing pt 10 latest demo at 87%, when it would play, as it would stop all the time to a i5 2.7 quad. 15% off via family and friends discount to 24%. I also use Logic, will try and post later.

The thought was get this, not to much cash then new Mac pro when it comes out. I have until Saterdsy to return. My friend with discount will help me but it's also his last day. What should I do??? I really miss using it as my ps3 machine which I did on MacBook pro. But would either get a new MBP forget size, focus on CPU speeds and use my 24" monitor with built in hdmi, (really apple, hdmi is not going away for a long time)!!!

The only thunderbolt that is in and out is the mini server. My display is LCD so I could get a retina display but now I've spent just about a present Mac pro. I do video on occasion such as compose trailers. So will I be ok or bring back? Suggestions? What else has display port out with thunder? Why turn it off. Are they afraid pros will use for work?

Anyway. The lady on phone, nive old lady. I tell her I did some stuff for apple and what I heard might be coming ie, racks. She says "well I can tell you they are coming out with a 24 core chip. Wow!!! So that's 24 and 48??? Yeah, that will be cheap. And the new iMacs will probably get huge speed bumps like present Mac pro.

So, what to do. Current writing songs. Worked on or with publishing co that has j Lo Aaron carter, Kelly clarkson and more so am working on songs as he signed a folk artist that was just ok and told me he would listen to anything I send. Kelly's new song by Ali Tamposi and helped by Jörgen Elofsson was "What Doesn't Kill You Majes You Stronger"- its everywhere. Commercials, demo in store best buy target etc for speakers like bose and many more. So for songs it's finder. What about orchestral samples FCP and Logic/Pro Tools.

Thanks all!!!

Godspeed,,,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    .???????

Is this message coded in some way I don't know about?
  • Reply 2 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'll take a stab at it -- I like a challenge -- this person in the music business bought a 27" iMac i5 for a good price through a friend with some sort of employee discount, replacing a 2008 MacBook Pro that was having trouble handling the work.

The plan was to use the iMac until a new Mac Pro comes out, but now he or she is having second thoughts about their choice, and is thinking about returning the iMac and getting a current MacBook Pro and using it with a 24" non-Thunderbolt monitor they already own, or maybe the new Retina machine but it is the same price as a current Mac Pro, so maybe they should get one of those instead.

My advice would be to get a current MacBook Pro, which is still useful to have around if you travel at all after you get the new Mac Pro next year. But the iMac is also a good choice -- it allows you to get your work done without spending too much money as you wait for the new Mac Pro, and you may find next year you don't really need a Mac Pro.

• Reply 3 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

.???????

I felt the same way. It looks like it was written to melt the average brain. hahaha

• Reply 4 of 9
    avidfcp wrote: »
    Anyway. The lady on phone, nive old lady. I tell her I did some stuff for apple and what I heard might be coming ie, racks. She says "well I can tell you they are coming out with a 24 core chip. Wow!!! So that's 24 and 48??? Yeah, that will be cheap. And the new iMacs will probably get huge speed bumps like present Mac pro.

24 core chips... those are the knight series by intel. NO WAY they will be on any computer within the next 2 years, servers and workstations in 3 or 4 years, consumer products in 5-8 years. VERY expensive though. iMacs use i7s, Mac Pros use Xeons. Xeons are more powerful than i7s, but i7s are better for consumer things like gaming. Xeons are pure power, not sure how well games would run on them though.

That was the only thing I could make sense of. English isn't your first language I'm guessing?
    avidfcp wrote: »
    The thought was get this, not to much cash then new Mac pro when it comes out. I have until Saterdsy to return. My friend with discount will help me but it's also his last day. What should I do??? I really miss using it as my ps3 machine which I did on MacBook pro. But would either get a new MBP forget size, focus on CPU speeds and use my 24" monitor with built in hdmi, (really apple, hdmi is not going away for a long time)!!!
    The only thunderbolt that is in and out is the mini server. My display is LCD so I could get a retina display but now I've spent just about a present Mac pro. I do video on occasion such as compose trailers. So will I be ok or bring back? Suggestions? What else has display port out with thunder? Why turn it off. Are they afraid pros will use for work?

I wouldn't recommend getting a Mac Pro until the new model in 2013, the current model is just from 2010 with processor bumps. or... something like that

HDMI isn't dead, but DisplayPort technology is the future. Not HDMI.

Umm... I don't know, if you are using a macbook pro(?), but the 15 inch (either one) should be fine for whatever you are doing, mac pros wait until next year.

Mac Pros don't have thunderbolt because intel does not have motherboards for it!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by not candunc View Post

24 core chips... those are the knight series by intel. NO WAY they will be on any computer within the next 2 years, servers and workstations in 3 or 4 years, consumer products in 5-8 years. VERY expensive though. iMacs use i7s, Mac Pros use Xeons. Xeons are more powerful than i7s, but i7s are better for consumer things like gaming. Xeons are pure power, not sure how well games would run on them though.

This is not entirely correct. For cpus with both i7 and Xeon versions, the i7s typically cost the same amount as a single package compliant Xeon version. The boards are a little more expensive. If you're going to a dual cpu package configuration, costs jump way up. There is no difference between i7s and Xeons for things like gaming assuming you're comparing comparable clock speeds rather than examining 6 and 8 core Xeons that are clocked much lower. You're thinking of workstation gpus vs consumer gpus. GPUs are much more specialized in their computational ability, and the workstation versions are tuned differently at the driver level (that and NVidia intentionally kneecaps the consumer cards on double precision math). Beyond that there's no strict rule. Especially under OSX, workstation gpus (well there's only one that's currently supported) do not necessarily function better in every scenario outside of games. Many applications simply aren't tuned to take advantage of them, especially when it's unlikely that Apple sells many Quadro 4000s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by not candunc View Post

I wouldn't recommend getting a Mac Pro until the new model in 2013, the current model is just from 2010 with processor bumps. or... something like that

Umm... I don't know, if you are using a macbook pro(?), but the 15 inch (either one) should be fine for whatever you are doing, mac pros wait until next year.

Mac Pros don't have thunderbolt because intel does not have motherboards for it!

I wouldn't suggest anyone wait until 2013. If you're really in need of that hardware class, you'd be better served going to Windows at this point than waiting to see what Apple may do in the future. That is just too much uncertainty.

• Reply 6 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I wouldn't suggest anyone wait until 2013. If you're really in need of that hardware class, you'd be better served going to Windows at this point than waiting to see what Apple may do in the future. That is just too much uncertainty.

That advice ignores the possibility that one may have a significant investment in OS X software, and not just in terms of money -- Logic isn't hugely expensive, but there's also the learning curve to think about -- staying with what you know is not necessarily a trivial consideration. Switching can be a huge pain in the butt. Not to mention old documents that may not be compatible with whatever Windows application(s) one is switching to. It's not just a hardware thing.

• Reply 7 of 9

I have the same setup with an iPhone plugged in to the back of the display and yes, it does charge and stop charging when the display's sound drops in and out.

Unplugging works at times but not every single time. Sometimes it'd take me ~3 times unplugging/pluggin to get it back up working.

• Reply 8 of 9
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

That advice ignores the possibility that one may have a significant investment in OS X software, and not just in terms of money -- Logic isn't hugely expensive, but there's also the learning curve to think about -- staying with what you know is not necessarily a trivial consideration. Switching can be a huge pain in the butt. Not to mention old documents that may not be compatible with whatever Windows application(s) one is switching to. It's not just a hardware thing.

Apple drinks too much of their own kool-aid at times, so they're not always reliable when it comes to certain build types. I didn't say sell your Mac. I said don't count on them to do this. Personally I pick up software pretty fast. I download every bit of documentation I can find, buy a couple books, and make notes for workflow questions as I go, then research them simultaneously. A lot of software developers that write for multiple platforms have cheap sidegrade options. It's still extremely annoying in some situations, but it can be done.

Anyway I worded my last statement poorly. I wouldn't suggest you switch today if you have a functional machine. I just wouldn't count on Apple in this market segment. They're the only ones who hiccuped on a Sandy Bridge E release.

• Reply 9 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    24 core chips... those are the knight series by intel. NO WAY they will be on any computer within the next 2 years, servers and workstations in 3 or 4 years, consumer products in 5-8 years.
    This does not reflect what is going on in the rumor mill. The first Knights Corner's are supposed to be implemented in a super computer towards the end of the year. This will be followed up by a general release very early in 2013.

VERY expensive though.
    Again the rumor mill indicates just the opposite. Think about it Intel has to compete with very good GPUs from AMD and NVidia and specialized solutions from other vendors. They can't realistically price the hardware so high that it isn't economical.
    iMacs use i7s, Mac Pros use Xeons. Xeons are more powerful than i7s, but i7s are better for consumer things like gaming. Xeons are pure power, not sure how well games would run on them though.
    Actually XEONs have the potential to run games pretty fast due to fast RAM subsystems.
    That was the only thing I could make sense of. English isn't your first language I'm guessing?
    This I would agree with, the current Mac Pro is an obvious dead end. Frankly the whole Mac Desktop line up is in dire straights and is in need of a significant rehashing. It is almost as if Apple tripped over all the iPads in the line up while working on the next generation desktop line. Pretty sad really.

I believe this is an error, current TB implementations interface via the PCI Express lanes so I see no reason why there couldn't be a Mac Pro with TB.