Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow

Comments

• Reply 101 of 132
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    kotatsu wrote: »
    They've made a lot of mis-steps lately it's true, and it's right to vent about them because I know they can be better.
    There is always room for improvement, however not everyone would see a larger iPhone as an improvement.
     They've squandered their lead in smart phones by failing to innovate, and in some ways iOS 6 is a big step backwards - the lack of the superb Google Maps with street view and very in depth local information is a massive, completely insane mis-step.
    Taking Google Maps off the system is one of the smartest things they have done recently. You shouldn't base your points on things you clearly don't understand.
     Maps is surely one of the top three most used features in a smart phone, and Apple have willingly crippled the iPhone 5, and anyone foolish enough to 'upgrade' with a vastly inferior mapping product. 
    I know you live on an island but you really should find something else to smoke beside turtle shells.

The lack of a modern screen size for the iPhone is also a major issue. I use public transport a fair bit and can see trends in phones change over time - the British public have gone from dumb phones, to iPhones, to Blackberrys (bizarre I know, but true in my experience) to large screen Android phones. iPhones are still a common sight, but far less than they used to be.  It's impossible to know what the causes for this are, and there are most likely several, but given the way the likes of the Galaxy phones sell it's hard to imagine that screen size isn't a major draw.
    For along time I've said Apple needs various size of iPhones, on this point there is little debate. The problem is unless you canvass the users you really don't know what is going on. For example Blackberrys used to be forced upon users by corporations.

Then there's the skeumorphic design, which is beyond hideous. Whoever is green lighting these ghastly designs needs to be given a new job at Apple, perhaps making the tea or cleaning the loos.
    A widely copied design?
    I've owned and used Apple products for many, many years, but they're being eaten alive by Google right now and that doesn't need to be the case.

This is hardly the case, everything indicates strong sales against a wide array of Android based products.
  • Reply 102 of 132

Japanese blog Macotakara reports the next-gen iPhone is now in production over in China, with the device expected to launch this fall. As has been the case with most of Macotakara’s reports, this one cites “reliable Chinese sources”, and if true, would seem to corroborate the notion that the sixth installment to the iPhone series will launch in September / October.

• Reply 103 of 132
    kavokkavok Posts: 51member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Android does have a bigger market share, but apple makes more money & seems to have a better business model, its one of those things, it will sort its self out, people will buy what they want.

The new iPhone that's hopefully coming out in the next few months, will either look the same as the old one...or it will look different, these random rumor articles are pointless. 

The only reason why Android has a bigger market share, is because the market has been flooded with Android devices.  Just because the market has been flooded doesn't make it the superior mobile OS.  The "market share" doesn't take into consideration how many different versions of Android (fragmentation), how many people are using the latest or can even upgrade to the latest version (now Jelly Bean), or how many good apps are out there that can run on all those Android devices. 

This is the advantage the iPhone has.  The latest iOS will run on most of the existing iPhones out there, and most people can upgrade to the latest version with little problem.  What the real report should be about is how much market share does any single iPhone have compared any SINGLE Android device.  This is why Apple has a bigger slice of the revenue pie because it isn't being split up between HTC, Samsung, Google, Motorola, etc.

The media really drives me nuts when they report generic stuff like "market share" without qualifying the parameters of the report.

Most of the time, the only reason why the Android devices are more popular (from talking to people I know around where I live), is that they are cheaper to obtain than the iPhone is. These are not people that care about an "open" mobile OS, or being able to hack their phones or even code for them.  Just regular people that want a device to do what they want it to do, when they want it to do it, as cheaply as they can get.  However most people (especially where I work) either have always had an iPhone, or have switched to one after using an Android device for a while.  The user experience is what made them switch, and every single one of them has been happier with their iPhone than their previous Android device.  So while more Android devices may have been sold over all, I would be curious to find out what the actual numbers are for retention of Android devices compared to iOS devices.

• Reply 104 of 132
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    bertiebig wrote: »
    I also use public transport in the UK daily, and I don't see the tends you do.
    I see all the users of public transportation here and have to wonder if there are that many Apple users out there that don't have a decent job? Further does voyeuring you fellow riders really tell us anything at all about the rest of the world.

The overwhelming trend is the explosion of smartphone ownership. From two years ago to now, almost all the dumb phones have been replaced with smartphones. A candy bar Nokia is a rare sight. In the pub, the people with dumb phones get teased now, not smartphone owners.
    That does sound very British! I mean really do you really give a damn about what phone your friends use? Seems awfull simpe minded to me.
    I see a few big screen Android phones around, but there are many, many more iPhones.
    And, I don't recognise the dumb phone to iPhone to Blackberry to Andriod trend you mention. Some kids and some suits are sticking to Blackberry, while everyone else is using an iPhone or an Android phone (I've only ever seen one Lumia in the wild). Of the Andriod phones, only a few I see are the big screen type. They're beautiful, but awkward to use for most (they need two hands for basic stuff), and so won't ever form the majority.

People that have been around for awhile distinctly remember the first cell phones and the general trend to smaller and smaller devices. This was distinctly the case for years as cell phones where huge with very limited functionality. Manufactures spent years condensing the electronics, so each generation of cell phones go smaller and smaller. It was more or less a race.

Now the functionality is there in basic devices and smart phones are a reality other factors become points of sale. Apples problem is that one size fits all seldom satisfies all. In my mind it is about time for apple to expand the line up of phone models to address this. It isn't a question of the competition but rather the importance of addressing customer needs.
  • Reply 105 of 132
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Sounds like a bit of a troll speaking.
    Nobody is trying to get you to toss the products you own. The consensus on this forum is that the iPhone and iPad (iOS inclusive) are superior. If you expect to post something here touting how much better an Android device is than previously mentioned products and expect a standing ovation you are delusional. I for one would say that you should keep your MacBook (of course that is up to you) and if you are satisfied with your android device then keep it also. Most here would just say that they have higher standards than you but nothing is stopping you from buying what you want.
    Hell most here don't care if you use to cans with a bit of string but don't expect applause for your android nonsense.
    BTW: Your view might be clearer if you stay away from the magic mushrooms -- I don't know about maroon ones but I know the inky purple ones tend to give you a decidedly different outlook on life not always based on reality.

How pretentious.

Anyway, I've always thought that the next iPhone would be the 5. And to play with the signature someone used to have here I'd say :

It might not be the iPhone 5, but it surely won't be the iPhone 6.
  • Reply 106 of 132
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Dick Tracy wannabe are you?

We should know how this turns out since we saw it on Star Trek. The communicator is tiny and the Tri-corder is for everything else. I want my iPhone mini and my iPad mini please.

• Reply 107 of 132
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

but iPods are available in colors - and many people want to have a replaceable case - that can take care of the daily knocks and scratches - surely for a phone thats where you get your vibrant colors?

I did say in my OP that I like the black or white option for the iPod/iPad/iPhone.

Re colour change I was referring to the Mac. Would be nice to have a change from silver/black.

• Reply 108 of 132
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

The party line of the "concerned troll". There are too many trolls here who are very subtle and contribute nothing to the discussions. Often by pretending to own Apple products and claiming their criticisms are those of a paying customer who wants their device improved.

Ahh the good old troll put down, favoured by all the best iSheep. Bahhhhhh

• Reply 109 of 132
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Anyone expecting accuracy from a rumor should hang up their Internet cred right now.

• Reply 110 of 132
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    Ahh the good old troll put down, favoured by all the best iSheep. Bahhhhhh

Yeah, some commenters here really need to learn what a troll is. They call whoever isn't of their opinion a troll.
  • Reply 111 of 132
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Are you accusing DaHarder?  He posted pics.  He seems to enjoy having a wide variety of gear, including Apple stuff.  didn't he say he bought an iPad for each member of his family?

DaHarder? DaHarder?

Stop. That is side-splittingly funny!

rotflmao!!
  • Reply 112 of 132
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Are you accusing DaHarder?  He posted pics.  He seems to enjoy having a wide variety of gear, including Apple stuff.  didn't he say he bought an iPad for each member of his family?

So you were lurking for a couple years before you signed up for an account or is JerrySwitched  mean you used to have a different username and you switched. Otherwise how would you remember a comment from a couple years ago?

• Reply 113 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    stone wrote: »
    …or is JerrySwitched  mean you used to have a different username and you switched. Otherwise how would you remember a comment from a couple years ago.?

He's ConradJoe, Zither Zather Zuzz, and Hyram Gestan.

At the very least.
  • Reply 114 of 132
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It could be doing 'well' in terms of quantity sold. After all, someone has to cater to the low-taste, low profit end.

That is just it though, Samsung charges more than Apple for its top model phone, and the materials are cheap. 

• Reply 115 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I did say in my OP that I like the black or white option for the iPod/iPad/iPhone.

Re colour change I was referring to the Mac. Would be nice to have a change from silver/black.

Ah, OK, but I have to say - how could i have known you were referring to macs?

• Reply 116 of 132

The only reason android has a bigger market share is because people choose to buy them.

• Reply 117 of 132
    mstone wrote: »
    So you were lurking for a couple years before you signed up for an account or is JerrySwitched  mean you used to have a different username and you switched. Otherwise how would you remember a comment from a couple years ago?
    He's ConradJoe, Zither Zather Zuzz, and Hyram Gestan.
    At the very least.

Nice catch, Daharder doesn't post often enough these days to draw attention from a relative newcomer. Also noticed he signed up about the same day ZZZ got banned.
  • Reply 118 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple is not leading the technological trend these days. Samsung and others are leading the trend by making 4.5 inch and 4.8 inch phones, which have large market demand. Apple is allowing its competitor to get away with rising sales.

Oh, the sky is falling. While I do concede that the current iPhone + iOS combo is a bit stale, let's zoom out a bit and realize that this is the same tick-tock pattern that's been going on for years. 2007, 2008, 2010 (and presumably Fall 2012) - major iPhone releases that result in a resetting of the bar, so to speak. A leaked photo comes out, commenters say it's ugly, then the real thing comes out and everyone has a simultaneous digital climax. Tens of millions of units sold.

While it's usually pretty lame when a company's zealots claim "there's something better around the corner", that truly is the case. The period between late 2011 and Fall 2012 is a time when Apple happens to be on an iterative point in its cycle (iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S) and when Android has made remarkable improvements in software and hardware (Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One, Galaxy S III, etc.) 

So while the two competing platforms will always zig and zag, now's just a "low point" for Apple's offerings. Expect it to be remedied soon enough. 

• Reply 119 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Oh, the sky is falling. While I do concede that the current iPhone + iOS combo is a bit stale, let's zoom out a bit and realize that this is the same tick-tock pattern that's been going on for years. 2007, 2008, 2010 (and presumably Fall 2012) - major iPhone releases that result in a resetting of the bar, so to speak.

Do you think that this continues to be an optimal timing strategy currently?  Will it continue to be in the future?  How long?  

ISTM that tech progress is being made faster and faster.  I wonder what is currently, and what will soon be, the optimal time period between major releases. Should the time between major releases  be compressed or shoudl it stay the same for the time being? 

• Reply 120 of 132
    randel77 wrote: »
    The only reason android has a bigger market share is because people choose to buy them.

Agree 100%, the idea that people are somehow forced to buy android phones is just silly. And to be equal one should also take into account the hype factor in buying an iPhone. Most people I know that buy an iPhone have never tried an Android phone or a windows phone. Not saying it's inferior either.