NYT: Apple's 7.85-inch iPad to be released this fall with sub-$499 price

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The New York Times on Saturday joined a multitude of publications by claiming inside knowledge of Apple's plan to release a smaller, less-expensive iPad model for release later this year.

While the report contributes little in the way of fresh information, Times sources confirmed previous rumors by saying consumers can expect the as-yet-unannounced iPad to boast a 7.85-inch form factor and cost "significantly less than the latest $499 iPad" when it debuts later this year.

Previous reports from The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg both claimed Apple was working on the so-called "iPad mini" and said the new device is expected to launch before year's end.

Most recently, images of purported iPad mini "engineering samples" were leaked and included side-by-side comparisons with the current third-generation iPad. The samples showed a rearranged speaker assembly flanking a diminutive 19-pin dock connector seen before on alleged next-generation iPhone parts.

iPad mini
Purported "iPad mini" engineering samples. | Source: GottaBeMobile

According to analysts and executives in the technology industry, the smaller iPad is part of an Apple strategy to garner and retain a larger marketshare by introducing a variety of tablet sizes. The publication notes the Cupertino-based company used a similar model with the iPod line which now ranges from the iPod shuffle to the iPod classic.

If and when the iPad mini is announced, it will be facing stiff competition from Google's recently-announced $199 Nexus 7 Android tablet as well as expected offerings from Amazon. The online sales giant is rumored to be readying three distinct 7-inch Kindle Fire models for fall as well as an 8.9-inch version that may be released in late 2012 or early 2013. Sunday's Times report cites sources who claim the larger-screened Fire is being developed as a competitor to Apple's 9.7-inch iPad.

Yet another new entrant into the tablet arena is Microsoft's Surface, a Windows 8-powered device set to be the centerpiece to the company's "PC+" environment despite CEO Steve Ballmer's claim that the unit is merely a "design point." Rather than creating hardware and software separately for different tasks, as does Apple with the iPad and iOS, Microsoft believes that a one-OS-fits-all solution is the future of computing. The ARM architecture-based Surface for Windows RT is expected to debut alongside Windows 8 in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Why can't terrible ideas just stay terrible [I]ideas[/I]?
  • Reply 2 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Is that the New York Times or DigiTimes: New York Edition?
  • Reply 3 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I still think if such device exists it will be an updated iPod Touch.
  • Reply 4 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    rogifan wrote: »

And if that's true, one would think it will be at a much lower price that $500!
  • Reply 5 of 85
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Who cares... as long as it's insanely great. Let's not have the new CEO announce a dud, an obvious me-too device in front of the world.

• Reply 6 of 85
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I kinda want one. I don't have the use for a large tablet, nor can I afford it. I'd like to see something like this. I think it will be a big seller and a huge blow to their competition. 

• Reply 7 of 85
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Wow.  The New York Times is home to some seriously cutting edge journalism.  They predict a smaller iPad will sell for under $500?  No shit Sherlock!

• Reply 8 of 85
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is that the New York Times or DigiTimes: New York Edition?

I was thinking basically the same thing. Given this set of sources I just can buy this rumor as true. There might be a tiny grain such as Apple is working on something that is smaller than an iPad and bigger than an iPhone. but that it will be this size or based off an iPad etc I just can't go with. not from these folks

• Reply 9 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I agree if it's 3:2 (current aspect ratio) or ~16:9 (predicted aspect ratio of next iPhone) and no more than 7". However, if it's 7.85" and has a 4:3 aspect ratio the I'd say it'll be an iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 85
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

I am speculating the iPad Mini is a cross between the 3GS and iPod Touch in terms of materials and performance. The 3GS unlocked cost $375. The iPod Touch starts at $199. I am guessing the entry level model will cost $299.

• Reply 11 of 85
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

You guys have come up with some weird headlines in the past. But that's the weirdest. You're really going on on a limb, there, predicting the price for a smaller iPad will be somewhere below the price of a regular iPad.

• Reply 12 of 85
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I agree in terms of function, but it will be called an iPad something or other. The iPod can't be much larger to be useful as a music player. 

• Reply 13 of 85
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Quote:

No way. Assuming it's coming, why would they use the brand that does pretty good, instead of the one that's absolutely on fire?

• Reply 14 of 85

I really hope it's $299. Otherwise I don't see any reason to get it over the Nexus 7 if you're looking at tablets that same size.

Hopefully it will also have the same storage options as the ipad.

• Reply 15 of 85

Quote:

If and when the iPad mini is announced, it will be facing stiff competition from Google's recently-announced $199 Nexus 7 Android tablet as well as expected offerings from Amazon. The online sales giant is rumored to be readying three distinct 7-inch Kindle Fire models for fall as well as an 8.9-inch version that may be released in late 2012 or early 2013. Sunday's Times report cites sources who claim the larger-screened Fire is being developed as a competitor to Apple's 9.7-inch iPad.

Stiff competition? I don't think so. Apple will totally take no prisoners. The only part of the tablet market that Apple won't go after is the cheap low-end disposable craptoid market. The really laughing out loud part of this, is that now Microsoft needs to follow Apple into this part of the market or Ballmer becomes nothing but a lying sack of monkey dung.

• Reply 16 of 85
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

I think it really unlikely that this will be the case.  An iPod touch serves the same functions as an iPhone.  It's primarily a game playing device, and it's a great iPod for music and movies.  It would not improve it as a game playing device to be almost as big as an iPad, it would make it worse.  And it would basically ruin the iPod function.  

I would expect that the new iPod touch will follow the same format as the new iPhone (16:9 ratio) because changing the ratio there actually does improve the device for playing games and using the iPod functions.  I also expect the new iPad will be 4:3 like the current one and have the same side bezels as well.  

The picture that accompanies this article strikes me as one of the least likely to be true "leaks" we've seen so far as well.  The device shown is too narrow for it to be anything other than 16:9 (assuming it has the same bezels as the iPad), or maybe 4:3 with no side bezels at all, like a giant iPhone.  It's possible I suppose, but it doesn't strike me as very likely that the new iPad mini will be designed either of those ways.  

The fact that it's obviously been printed out of a 3D printer makes it completely possible that this is either a hoax, or wishful thinking in that it's an iPad mini that looks more like a typical Android tablet.  

• Reply 17 of 85
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

AI strikes again....  "Sub $499 price"? There would be no reason for it to exist if it weren't well under $499.

I've been saying all year that if Apple came out with an ultra-low cost iPad for $199, they would basically be kicking Google and Amazon in the balls. Who would buy anything else if one can get an authentic iPad for $199? Sure, Apple would have to strip it down to 8Gb, no 3G, no *anything* to get the price that low (and probably only break even on that model) but it would be huge strategic win.  They can afford it and should do it.

• Reply 18 of 85
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Not a touch if it has a 4G LTE option.
  • Reply 19 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

I really hope it's $299. Otherwise I don't see any reason to get it over the Nexus 7 if you're looking at tablets that same size.

Hopefully it will also have the same storage options as the ipad.

Other reasons - well if one already has iPhone, iPod touch or iPad - there are the apps you already bought. I have an iPad - use it daily, and i Would buy one - at least for GPS in the car / boat etc.. My Wife has a fire - she decided an iPad was too big - she only reads, and checks the weather, and fact is Fire was a lot cheaper. I would junk it with a $299 smaller iPad

• Reply 20 of 85
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    An iPod Touch, is still an iPod, and an iPod need to fit in your pocket. An 8 inch device is a tablet.

This has the same resolution and dimensions as the iPad 1 and 2 and will run those apps.