NYT: Apple's 7.85-inch iPad to be released this fall with sub-$499 price

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85

New York Times:  Apple is going to build a new product next year.  Tens of millions of people will buy one and love it.  BUT IT WILL BE BUILT BY SLAVES AND APPLE IS A TAX CHEAT AND THEY HATE AMERICA!

• Reply 42 of 85
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

This and the new iPhone are going to demolish all Apple sales records, mark my words. 

• Reply 43 of 85
    gelpgelp Posts: 22member
    if it exist it will be called Ipod Game :-)
  • Reply 44 of 85
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I really hope it's $299. Otherwise I don't see any reason to get it over the Nexus 7 if you're looking at tablets that same size.

Hopefully it will also have the same storage options as the ipad.

I'd say it'll be $229 for an 8 GB model, $329 for $16 GB and $399 for 32 GB.

Or... it'll start (like you suggested) at $299 for 16 GB model, $399 for 32 and $499 for 64. But I would be shocked if there was no 64 GB model.
  • Reply 45 of 85

Will be a perfect companion to the TV or on the nightstand, although i will probably prefer working/emailing/browsing on the normal iPad, looking forward to compare them!

• Reply 46 of 85
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Assuming they keep the iPod Touch at $199, $299 and $399 but upgrade the memory to 32GB, 64GB and 128GB

I think they will go with iPad Mini 8GB for $249 and 16GB for $349 - then the iPad 2 16GB at $399 and the iPad 3 from $499

• Reply 47 of 85
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

The stale UI based on Xerox's invention you and Apple so very proud of. People have been living with those for about 35 years now. Aren't you even sick and tired looking at those icons every single day of the past 35 years? Oh wait, you weren't even born then, so enjoy it some more perhaps.

Which patents? Slide to unlock, nope, already tossed away in UK. Universal search? It will be overturned even by the US courts, soon. Can you say any REAL patents? Other than that rectangular shape thingy patent or even that glass staircase patented by Super Jesus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

It will be far pricier for Apple's so-called "competition", since Apple's UI patents were never contributed to standards bodies for FRAND licensing and Apple has absolutely no intention of ever licensing them to anyone. Chumps.

• Reply 48 of 85
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    WTF??? That's an [B][I]orange slab[/I][/B]. What kind of rumour is this? You can call it Jonathan Ive's personal secret iPad 7", but it's still an [B][I]orange slab[/I][/B].
  • Reply 49 of 85
    ronbo wrote: »
    You guys have come up with some weird headlines in the past. But that's the weirdest. You're really going on on a limb, there, predicting the price for a smaller iPad will be somewhere below the price of a regular iPad.

The orange slab will be $499. Mark my words.
  • Reply 50 of 85
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    It's going to be the a mini iPad, not a large iPod touch. It's going to run iPad software. It's going to start at $199. The iPod touch will be discontinued.
  • Reply 51 of 85

I just don't see the logic in a smaller iPad from an economic point of view. It surely can't cost much less to produce than the 9.8" version yet everyone is talking about a price of around $300. The base cost of the iPhone and iPad before vendor subsidies are pretty similar so a smaller (but more importantly cheaper) iPad would simply dent margins.

Is the 7" market so vibrant Apple needs to be in it even at lower margins? At the moment my view would be it isn't, but that could change in the future. That would be the time to launch a smaller and cheaper version.

• Reply 52 of 85
    poke wrote: »
    It's going to be the a mini iPad, not a large iPod touch. It's going to run iPad software. It's going to start at $199. The iPod touch will be discontinued.

$299 minimum, I feel.
  • Reply 53 of 85
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    petercbb wrote: »
    I just don't see the logic in a smaller iPad from an economic point of view. It surely can't cost much less to produce than the 9.8" version yet everyone is talking about a price of around $300. The base cost of the iPhone and iPad before vendor subsidies are pretty similar so a smaller (but more importantly cheaper) iPad would simply dent margins.

Is the 7" market so vibrant Apple needs to be in it even at lower margins? At the moment my view would be it isn't, but that could change in the future. That would be the time to launch a smaller and cheaper version.

Apple makes a $50 iPod Shuffle.

It's one of four different iPod models on the market... ranging from $50 to $400

Who says one size fits all?
  • Reply 54 of 85

There are tones of reasons why to chose an iDevice over a droid, even at a price of 399, or 499, no matter what price difference there is, but then again, I'm an Apple freak :P

• Reply 55 of 85
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Definitely agree.

If only the ipad had a better aspect ratio...

Care to explain why? Aspect Ratio will not stop people from buying an iPad. In fact, the statement people will buy it because its an iPad is quite true. Just like, people will buy it because its an iPod back in the day.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I agree if it's 3:2 (current aspect ratio) or ~16:9 (predicted aspect ratio of next iPhone) and no more than 7". However, if it's 7.85" and has a 4:3 aspect ratio the I'd say it'll be an iPad.

Doesn't the aspect ratio pretty much dictate whether it is a small iPad or large iPod Touch?

• Reply 57 of 85
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

The 7 inch market hasn't work.  (...) the Nexus and Surface is not even out yet.

Actually the Nexus 7 is out there and seems selling like hot cakes, if not already out of stock.

• Reply 58 of 85

Given Apple has stuck with a "one size fits all" iPhone for 5 years...

If Apple wants to release different versions of their products, that's great as a consumer.  As an investor in Apple I question the need of a 7" iPad right now.  10" iPads are selling like mad right now (literally, like mad...I don't get all the fuss).  Let that run at least another year.  Keep it simple.  I don't see Kindles and Google tablets as a threat to the profits Apple is raking in.  Heck, since when has a cheaper product from a competitor scared Apple...they just continue on their own path with their own (high) price points.

• Reply 59 of 85
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    [QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Whatever Apple does, there isn't room for the Touch and a tweener tablet as described. My guess is that Apple is working on a bigger Touch but not so big that it loses its ability to fit in most pockets. That should be the design goal, namely keep the effective portability that makes the Touch a desirable product yet improve the user experience by making the screen larger. Such a product could come in at around the same price as the current Touch, still turn a profit and address challenges from low-cost tablets.

A five-inch Touch would be the next logical step in the evolution of that device but making that change would mean the fit for an 8-inch iPad wouldn't be there from Apple's perspective. Then again, there's been an awful lot of smoke now coming from reputable publications. There must be something to it.
  • Reply 60 of 85
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

The iPod touch will be discontinued.

I hope not - that would leave a huge gap between the iPod Nano and the iPad MIni.

I know a lot of iPod Classic users eager to upgrade just as soon as a reasonably priced 128GB iPod Touch is released.