Purported next-gen iPhone front panel has centered FaceTime camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With Apple's next iPhone believed to be in production ahead of a fall launch, a picture claiming to show the device's front panel shows a centered FaceTime camera located above the earpiece.

The image was published on Monday by Taiwanese website Apple.pro (via Google Translate). While it's hard to tell the length of the display without a side-by-side shot, the accompanying report says the panel has a width identical to the current iPhone while the screen is slightly taller.

Aside from the taller screen and a slight move for the FaceTime camera, the front panel purported to be from a pre-release white iPhone looks largely unchanged from the current design, with space for a circular home button below the display and a proximity sensor to the left of the earpiece.

The original source of the images is a Photobucket account that previously obtained the rear panel for Apple's third-generation iPad before the tablet was announced. That person revealed that the new iPad would be slightly thicker than its predecessor, the iPad 2.

Leaked parts alleged to be from Apple's next iPhone come as the handset is said to now be in production. Over the weekend, another report said Apple's suppliers are building the next iPhone ahead of a fall launch, and that the handset will feature inlaid glass on the back, between top and bottom edges made of metal.

iPhone

Industry watchers suspect that Apple will release the next iPhone in September or October, or about a year after the launch of the iPhone 4S. That launch window would allow Apple to take advantage of the lucrative holiday shopping season, which helped result in record breaking sales of the iPhone 4S at launch last year.

Multiple reports have indicated that Apple's next iPhone will feature a slightly larger 4-inch display, representing the first time Apple has ever changed the size of the iPhone's screen. The taller display is expected to feature a 26 percent larger 16-to-9 aspect ratio that would retain the ability for users to operate the device while holding it with just one hand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    ryukryuk Posts: 29member
    I just hope the ordering process will go smooth this time around cuz it was a mess with the 4 ... Ok apple my money is in the bank I'm wating
  • Reply 2 of 94
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Not bad. It'll sell well and consumers will like the larger screen.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple improves the next iPhone.

One rumored aspect I especially like is the new position of the headphone jack.  I've found that the current placement is quite cumbersome.  When it's in my pocket, the iPhone has to be upright so that it's not sitting on top of the headphone plug.  But when I take it out of my pocket from this position, it is upside down, so I have to rotate the iPhone in my hand to use it properly.  This is quite a hassle when you need to check your phone intermittently while listening to music.

This change alone may be enough to get me to upgrade.

• Reply 4 of 94

It will be interesting to see what they do with the UI if they in fact do stretch the screen to 4". If they expand the vertical resolution and keep the horizontal the same, they could possibly put a permanent notification or widget bar on the top or bottom. Or they could just obviously add another row of apps... but there's no fun in that!

• Reply 5 of 94
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Not bad. It'll sell well and consumers will like the larger screen.

True, I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes... but just my opine...  4" just seems a bit.. incremental/compromise??  I would like to see Apple compete directly with the Samsung G SIII- mano-a-mano.  Keep the 3.5 'classic' and add 4.5 version with same resolution. Ah well, time will tell. In any case... the next iphone will sell millions.

• Reply 6 of 94
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    True, I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes... but just my opine...  4" just seems a bit.. incremental/compromise??  I would like to see Apple compete directly with the Samsung G SIII- mano-a-mano.  Keep the 3.5 'classic' and add 4.5 version with same resolution. Ah well, time will tell. In any case... the next iphone will sell millions.
    I think 4 inches is good because it'll expand iPhone appeal a bit and it won't alienate current buyers who want a more compact phone. Even so I think there is room for an iPhone Nano.
  • Reply 7 of 94
    I like that the new camera is centered, but I do wish they swapped the positions of the camera and the speaker. To get the impression that your chat partner is really looking at you, you want to get the lens as close as possible to the screen (or, ideally, somehow behind the screen).

As it is, Apple's products do much netter than the norm in this regard.
  • Reply 8 of 94
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Cant wait for a 4"- Almost inevitable at this point with all the releases, rumors, pics, etc.

It'll be a day one for me- love the fact its longer and can't wait to see the new iOS on this device and what tricks they'll have up their sleeves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

No need to fragment the market.  They don't want to sell 2 different iPhones.  What do we do in 2 years?  A 3.5, 4.5 2 yr old model, a 1 yr old, and current?  6 phones.  The beauty about apple is they just have the "iPhone".

Friend: What did you buy?

Android Customer: An Android

Friend: What kind of android?

Customer: A Samsung

Friend: Which Samsung?

Customer: *Looks frantically for the name of phone*.......... the Galaxy

Friend: Which Galaxy?

Customer: *shoots his friend then himself*

Friend: What did you buy?

Apple Customer: The iPhone.

• Reply 9 of 94
    It will be interesting to see what they do with the UI if they in fact do stretch the screen to 4". If they expand the vertical resolution and keep the horizontal the same, they could possibly put a permanent notification or widget bar on the top or bottom. Or they could just obviously add another row of apps... but there's no fun in that!
    I think permanent notifications/widget/multitasking bars would be tacky. Maybe they'll make the home screen more customizable and let users place apps where they want in the grid rather than just "adding another row." Maybe they'll just space out the rows a bit more?
  • Reply 10 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Even so I think there is room for an iPhone Nano.

Are you kidding me? :lol:
  • Reply 11 of 94
    enatureenature Posts: 77member

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design. If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade because the new form is just is a tiny 0.5" lengthening of the screen. Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. People use phones for anything but talking. While many people will still insist that 3.5" screen is the coolest thing ever, what is really important here, is to spot the trend. Gradually and persistently large screens become cool. While in the US, 3.5" iPhone still rules, I see that in other parts of the world people oddly fall in love with even super-large screens (Galaxy Note for example). This is because a larger screen is more functional for anything but talking. And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality. I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..

• Reply 12 of 94
    Are you kidding me? :lol:
    Not everyone wants or needs GPS, Siri, Compass, gyroscope, 4G, dual/quad core processors etc. A smaller candy colored form factored phone could be a game changer for the youth and teen market, while the iPhone 4/4S and new iPhone will appeal to the adult and business market.
  • Reply 13 of 94
    enature wrote: »
    funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design. If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade because the new form is just is a tiny 0.5" lengthening of the screen. Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. People use phones for anything but talking. While many people will still insist that 3.5" screen is the coolest thing ever, what is really important here, is to spot the trend. Gradually and persistently large screens become cool. While in the US, 3.5" iPhone still rules, I see that in other parts of the world people oddly fall in love with even super-large screens (Galaxy Note for example). This is because a larger screen is more functional for anything but talking. And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality. I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..
    I think most consumers will like the new design. Considering people don't mind buying the 2 year old iPhone 4 today just because it's an "iPhone" makes me think Apple will have no problem selling this phone. Also because this will be the first iPhone with LTE and a large widescreen that adds appeal for non-techies worldwide to get this new iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by enature View Post

A lot of people still do use their phones for talking, and those people don't need or want a huge phone. My wife and I belong to that group of people who actually still need a "phone", and we are only 28 years old. The major demographic that only use their devices for texting and Facebook are quite young, and I think Apple is willing to let some of them slip by in order to make an extremely well rounded "phone" for everyone.

• Reply 15 of 94
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enature View Post

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Cant wait for a 4"- Almost inevitable at this point with all the releases, rumors, pics, etc.

It'll be a day one for me- love the fact its longer and can't wait to see the new iOS on this device and what tricks they'll have up their sleeves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I think 4 inches is good

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuk View Post

Ok apple my money is in the bank I'm wating

Are you reading the same thread as me?

• Reply 16 of 94
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Someone high at apple really loves the bezel.
    This 5 year old design of the front panel does not seem to go anywhere.
    For two more years and likely more we are stuck with 30% of wasted real estate.

Well, it was a such an opportunity to make it right along with UI and resolution change.
  • Reply 17 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    …no one particularly crazy about the design.

I guess if you poll no one and look at what no one has said, then yeah, no one is particularly crazy about a design considered one of Apple's best.
    If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade…

It's a good thing this isn't the 5th iPhone then, isn't it!
    Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore.

Because obviously no one uses their phone as a phone anymore.

People use phones for anything but talking.

Oh, wow, you're actually SERIOUS about this. I was joking. Because it's ludicrous.
    Gradually and persistently large screens become cool.

I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that 7" laptops were once thought to be "cool".
    And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality.

No, the complete opposite seems to be true most of the time. It's the minority, then–the less-featured stuff–that captures attention and marketshare because it's so well-made.
    I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..

And you're welcome to be proven wrong like so many before you with earlier iPhone models.
    blackbook wrote: »
    Not everyone wants or needs GPS, Siri, Compass, gyroscope, 4G, dual/quad core processors etc. A smaller candy colored form factored phone could be a game changer for the youth and teen market…

Apple couldn't care less about those types of phones.
    jason98 wrote: »
    This 5 year old design of the front panel does not seem to go anywhere.

Where… would it go? What does that even mean?
    For two more years and likely more we are stuck with 30% of wasted real estate.

Where in the heck does this argument come from, anyway? It's one of the least intelligent things said about the design of the iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 94
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

One rumored aspect I especially like is the new position of the headphone jack.  I've found that the current placement is quite cumbersome.  When it's in my pocket, the iPhone has to be upright so that it's not sitting on top of the headphone plug.  But when I take it out of my pocket from this position, it is upside down, so I have to rotate the iPhone in my hand to use it properly.  This is quite a hassle when you need to check your phone intermittently while listening to music.

Maybe invest in some bluetooth headphone? I don't know: 2012, wireless, sounds good enough. ^^p

• Reply 19 of 94
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Apple Insider continues to choose to report on innuendoes and rumors, but chooses not to have an article today on the July 25th release date of Mountain Lion, that all the other Apple sites are reporting. I guess reality just is not as much fun as wild speculation.

• Reply 20 of 94
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member

Reasons why you are wrong:

1. The iPad will never sell, its just a big iPod touch.
    2. iPhone 4 sales figures will drop due to the delay in releasing a new iPhone.
    3. The iPhone 4S will not sell, its just too similar to the iPhone 4.

You seem to think that parts of the world have fallen in love with huge screens?? Please list the devices which have sold over 10 million units at launch with a screen larger than the iPhone?