Purported next-gen iPhone front panel has centered FaceTime camera

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94

Obviously PhotoShopped.

• Reply 22 of 94
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

If Apple is smart they will take the vision of Chester Gould for the design of the next iPhone. The iPod Nano is the perfect starting point.image

• Reply 23 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    kent909 wrote: »
    …the July 25th release date of Mountain Lion, that all the other Apple sites are reporting. I guess reality just is not as much fun as wild speculation.

Except that's not reality, as it's not official.
  • Reply 24 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a good thing this isn't the 5th iPhone then, isn't it!

Thank you! I am almost positive this will not be referred to as "iPhone 5". The only iPhone that has followed that naming scheme has been the iPhone 4, because it was in fact the 4th gen iPhone. This will be the 6th gen, and most likely drop the identifiers and just be "iPhone".

• Reply 25 of 94
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Someone high at apple really loves the bezel.

This 5 year old design of the front panel does not seem to go anywhere.

For two more years and likely more we are stuck with 30% of wasted real estate.

Well, it was a such an opportunity to make it right along with UI and resolution change.

Well, in fact there is a giant picture at the top of this article of the new bezels and they are quite a bit smaller than on the 4s, so in fact they *have* changed the bezels, and they *have* made them smaller.  

It's pretty clear even without measuring (and I'm not sure how this picture is all over the Interwebs this morning without anyone thinking to actually measure it), that the top and bottom bezels are narrower by about 2-3mm each.  The ratio of screen to bezel has clearly gone up although without measurements it's difficult to say how much.  

The bezels couldn't actually be any smaller without losing essential features like the Home button or not being able to hold the phone when gaming etc. I'm not sure what you expected given the normal constraints of being able to hold the phone, pick it up easily etc. 

• Reply 26 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except that's not reality, as it's not official.

As opposed to the content of this article, showing what the case for the new iPhone is. This is official and is reality.

• Reply 27 of 94
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enature View Post

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design. If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade because the new form is just is a tiny 0.5" lengthening of the screen. Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. People use phones for anything but talking. While many people will still insist that 3.5" screen is the coolest thing ever, what is really important here, is to spot the trend. Gradually and persistently large screens become cool. While in the US, 3.5" iPhone still rules, I see that in other parts of the world people oddly fall in love with even super-large screens (Galaxy Note for example). This is because a larger screen is more functional for anything but talking. And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality. I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..

Well I sure can agree with much of your point, but yet I wouldn't bet on the last sentence. :)

• Reply 28 of 94
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

Thank you! I am almost positive this will not be referred to as "iPhone 5". The only iPhone that has followed that naming scheme has been the iPhone 4, because it was in fact the 4th gen iPhone. This will be the 6th gen, and most likely drop the identifiers and just be "iPhone".

I favour keeping the identifiers since they are currently keeping multiple models on sale.  The fact that they haven't given a number to the latest iPad is kind of annoying in everyday practice and everyone is calling it the "3" anyway.  The fact that they haven't given it a number and that it is visually almost identical to the 2.0 version just adds an extra layer of confusion for no reason.  I've had to deal with lots and lots of non-tech people who are confused over this.  

For that reason, I would go with "iPhone 6" although there is *some* logic to the iPhone 5 name if you ignore the fact that the 3G iPhone was actually the second one.  

• Reply 29 of 94

My guess is someone with time on their hands and access to a 3D printer created these two models we are looking at in the picture.  Simple easy thing to do.

• Reply 30 of 94

at 16:9  what's the pixel dimensions going to be?   Until someone answers that intelligently (including how the extra pixels will be used) , I can't see them changing the screen size beyond the current 3.5" screen.

source:  http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apples-tim-cook-rules-out-iphone-5-with-4-inch-screen/78626

Apple won't be creating 8 different iOS screen real estates.... 480x320 (3GS) 960x640, 1024*768, 2048x1536 will be it for 2012/13.

Now... I can only see the screen changing on the phone when the 3GS is totally retired (2013).    Tim Cook wants all the developers to develop to the iPad2/3, and the iPhone 4gs(5), and swamp the market with compelling applications.  

• Reply 31 of 94
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

That would add some confusion, like about that new iPad, you know the iPad 3. :)

• Reply 32 of 94
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member

It is not about the logic. It is about convention. If every one (90% of people) refers to it as iPhone 5, then it is a nome it is most comfortable to use in the communication. (How it really be named  - no one knows).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I favour keeping the identifiers since they are currently keeping multiple models on sale.  The fact that they haven't given a number to the latest iPad is kind of annoying in everyday practice and everyone is calling it the "3" anyway.  The fact that they haven't given it a number and that it is visually almost identical to the 2.0 version just adds an extra layer of confusion for no reason.  I've had to deal with lots and lots of non-tech people who are confused over this.  

For that reason, I would go with "iPhone 6" although there is *some* logic to the iPhone 5 name if you ignore the fact that the 3G iPhone was actually the second one.  

• Reply 33 of 94
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Now... I can only see the screen changing on the phone when the 3GS is totally retired (2013).

Why would the 3GS keep selling after the new iPhone is released?  We're going to have a 3GS, 4, 4S, and New iPhone?  So if the 4S is $99, the 4 is Free, does the 3GS pay you $100?

The 3GS is gone in the US (and most developed markets) the day the New iPhone gets announced.

• Reply 34 of 94

Quote:

IMO:  Probably "the New iPhone", maybe the "iPhone 5", but certainly not the iPhone 6.  That would cause confusion.

• Reply 35 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    andysol wrote: »
    Cant wait for a 4"- Almost inevitable at this point with all the releases, rumors, pics, etc.
    It'll be a day one for me- love the fact its longer and can't wait to see the new iOS on this device and what tricks they'll have up their sleeves.
    No need to fragment the market.  They don't want to sell 2 different iPhones.  What do we do in 2 years?  A 3.5, 4.5 2 yr old model, a 1 yr old, and current?  6 phones.  The beauty about apple is they just have the "iPhone".

Friend: What did you buy?
    Android Customer: An Android
    Friend: What kind of android?
    Customer: A Samsung
    Friend: Which Samsung?
    Customer: *Looks frantically for the name of phone*.......... the Galaxy
    Friend: Which Galaxy?
    Customer: *shoots his friend then himself*

You left out:
    Customer: Galaxy SIII
    Friend: Which version of Galaxy SIII?

THEN, customer pulls out the gun.

blackbook wrote: »
    Not everyone wants or needs GPS, Siri, Compass, gyroscope, 4G, dual/quad core processors etc. A smaller candy colored form factored phone could be a game changer for the youth and teen market, while the iPhone 4/4S and new iPhone will appeal to the adult and business market.

Maybe, but I don't see what Apple brings to the table if you're talking about a simple candy bar phone. The more you strip out, the less need for Apple's ease of use.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    doorman. wrote: »
    It is not about the logic. It is about convention. If every one (90% of people) refers to it as iPhone 5, then it is a nome it is most comfortable to use in the communication. (How it really be named  - no one knows).

gazoobee wrote: »

I don't know why there's so much debate all over the Apple blogosphere about the name but it's more than likely going to be known as the iPhone 5 whether Apple gives it a number designation or not. To consumers, "5" comes after "4" even though this is the 6th gen phone.
  • Reply 37 of 94

Quote:

Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. 

It may make thumb typing easier, and add more height for notifications, and another 'row' of app icons on the home screen, but other than that, it's not really compelling.  

It wouldn't be Giant... just a tetch longer.  at 16:9 the size would maybe be just a 10mm (~.4")taller.  Same width, and if you carve out about 2mm from the space between the earhole and the top edge, it would fit.  

Real Estate on a phone becomes a diminishing return.   I do like the 16:9 ratio, but I can't see them doing it, unless some developer tells me that it's trivially easy for an iPhone app to have an add'l .47" of portrait height to a screen, and they state that that .47" is the 'notification center' or something.

• Reply 38 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol 

Android Customer: An Android

Friend: What kind of android?

Customer: A Samsung

Friend: Which Samsung?

Customer: *Looks frantically for the name of phone*.......... the Galaxy

Customer: *shoots his friend then himself*

Friend: What did you buy?

Apple Customer: The iPhone.

Nobody has ever done that before.  If somebody buys a Galaxy, they know exactly what they bought.

• Reply 39 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

How about the iPhone 4G?  What if it retained the iconic exterior, mostly the same features, and added 4G as the flagship feature (along with the usual processor upgrade, and of course the new screen)?  

Could they call it a 4x and have it be a hit?  

Or do they really, really have to "go beyond" the 4 series?

Apple's branding abilities are second to none.  It  will be fun to see what their decision here will be.  

But I'd wager that a LOT of normal people will call it the iPhone 5, no matter what Apple calls it.  Most especially if Apple simply calls it the new iPhone.  

• Reply 40 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Why would the 3GS keep selling after the new iPhone is released?  We're going to have a 3GS, 4, 4S, and New iPhone?  So if the 4S is $99, the 4 is Free, does the 3GS pay you $100?

The 3GS is gone in the US (and most developed markets) the day the New iPhone gets announced.

Never said stop selling.  I said "totally retired."    The comet's tail of support.   It's still supported in iOS6.  If they said that iOS6 didn't support 3GS, I'd be whistling a different tune, and see them introduce a point release this fall that introduces the new geometry. 

3GS geometry won't be supported this time next year, possibly even earlier.