Nokia halves price of Lumia 900 as Windows Phone struggles persist

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    If that device ran iOS, you'd be singing a different tune. That phone is gorgeous. Microsoft just sucks at marketing and partnering. It's like they can't figure out how NOT to stab the competition to death, even when it's the guys on their own team. 
    I don't think it was a marketing issue. The Lumina was HEAVILY marketed by Microsoft, Nokia, and Carriers. Even registered as "best phone" on Siri/Wolfram Alpha if I'm not mistaken.
  • Reply 22 of 115
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Galaxy S3 is already buy one get one free!

Really? Details? Whereabouts?

• Reply 23 of 115
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

If that device ran iOS, you'd be singing a different tune. That phone is gorgeous. Microsoft just sucks at marketing and partnering. It's like they can't figure out how NOT to stab the competition to death, even when it's the guys on their own team. 

So if the phone was an iPhone people would like it?  Imagine that?  Microsoft just sucks at making OS'es.  Windows Phone is horribly fugly.  "Metro" is a complete failure and joke.

• Reply 24 of 115
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

I don't think it was a marketing issue. The Lumina was HEAVILY marketed by Microsoft, Nokia, and Carriers. Even registered as "best phone" on Siri/Wolfram Alpha if I'm not mistaken.

Exactly. this is the main Microsoft drone talking point...the marketing was not good.  It is never that the OS is complete crap or there are no apps, or the phones a cheap crap.

• Reply 25 of 115
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Death.  Spiral.

It'll be interesting to see who goes tits up first - Nokia or RIM...

I'm betting on Nokia.  RIM at least has their service business to bring in some revenue - their message network.  Nokia's got nothing much apart from their now-worthless phones.

They have their manufacturing capabilities and a lot of patents too.  Nokia is a better buyout target than RIM in my opinion. 

• Reply 26 of 115
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Galaxy S3 is already buy one get one free!

Where can I get this?  I have an upgraded available and can sell two phones and save of the next iphone

• Reply 27 of 115
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sijun jia wrote: »
    Can you install iOS6 on iPhone 1 or 2? Can you install Icecream on G1 etc? The answer is NO! There is always a limit on upgrading, and that is true for every device or laptop etc. WTF?

The difference, of course, is that you can upgrade any iPhone for several years after its release.

For Android, OTOH, the majority of phones NEVER have an upgrade available. Not to mention, of course, that even today, a large percentage of Android phones on the market are still using an obsolete version of the OS.
  • Reply 28 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.  Sadly, it doesn't, so I'm not.

Thank you, Mr. Scott. :)

• Reply 29 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Where can I get this?  I have an upgraded available and can sell two phones and save of the next iphone

BOGO - sort of

"T-Mobile has already rolled out its back-to-school promotion and you’ll be happy to hear there are plenty of smartphones included in its buy-one-get-one (BOGO) sale. Even the recently launched Galaxy S3 is part of the promo, but unfortunately, you won’t be able to receive a free Galaxy S3 when buying a Galaxy S3 handset bundled with a new contract.

Instead, you’ll be able to pick from a variety of other Galaxy-branded handsets including the Galaxy S2, the Galaxy S Blaze 4G or the Galaxy Exhibit 4G when buying the new Galaxy S3. These three devices will be available free of charge part of the BOGO offer, but only after a mail-in rebate and when purchased with new two-year contracts with the carrier – so they won’t be entirely free of charge."

http://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s3-back-school-bogo-promo-unveiled-100571/

• Reply 30 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The entire platform is redundant, offers no real advantages compared to Apple on one end and Google/Android on the other, is ridiculously late to the market, with an underdeveloped ecosystem.

It is merely "different." Which in this market, is woefully inadequate in terms of what it takes to really compete. Nokia/MS needs a total game-changer. Some interface changes and hardware upgrades
    with an attempt at platform-duplication (own App store, etc.) just won't cut it. And it isn't, as we're seeing.

"Live Tiles" is not a big enough reason for anyone to invest in Windows Phone, unless they are already committed Windows/MS fans, and that too, is not enough to sustain this platform amid the
    kind of of competition that Apple and Google bring to the table. This is not 15 years ago. It's not even 5 years ago.

As the average consumer, if you're not going to go with Android, your best option is iOS, not something that is underdeveloped and
    barely adequate after nearly two years on the market. There's just no real incentive to go with Windows Phone. Consumer interest still isn't there, and if it's not there already, it won't be there
    in the future. Every new iPhone model, every new wave of Android devices flooding the market . . . both of these factors serve to lock up the market for the two big players and make things even
    more difficult for Nokia/MS. And by the looks of it, both iOS and Android have both ends of the market covered very well in terms of features and value, and in Apple's case, image and cachet.
    Something which MS has never had and can't hope to have anytime soon.

Why care about Windows Phone when there's iOS? And if the iOS model doesn't suit the consumer, they'll go with Android.

This market isn't like the "computer" segment, where Mac sales can persist at lower volumes, where Apple can make a huge profit, and which offers a different value-proposition
    (such as a far greater shelf-life) from what you get with mobile devices. Apple has carved out their "computer" piece of the pie. If the consumer has $1000 spend on a computer,
    chances are, it's going to be a Mac.

Windows Phone has no such user base to speak of, and Nokia/MS have no such ability to make that kind of profit. In the mobile segment, market share matters as an indicator
    of platform health. And Apple, with just 3 devices or so, commands well over 30% in the biggest, most important market outside of Asia: the US. That's pretty impressive.
  • Reply 31 of 115

I would have to get paid to be stuck on a contract with this phone.

This phone has 2 year old hardware and won't even get a single major update.

In months Windows 8 will be out and this "flagship" phone won't run a single app due to new APIs

• Reply 32 of 115
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

BOGO - sort of

"T-Mobile has already rolled out its back-to-school promotion and you’ll be happy to hear there are plenty of smartphones included in its buy-one-get-one (BOGO) sale. Even the recently launched Galaxy S3 is part of the promo, but unfortunately, you won’t be able to receive a free Galaxy S3 when buying a Galaxy S3 handset bundled with a new contract.

Instead, you’ll be able to pick from a variety of other Galaxy-branded handsets including the Galaxy S2, the Galaxy S Blaze 4G or the Galaxy Exhibit 4G when buying the new Galaxy S3. These three devices will be available free of charge part of the BOGO offer, but only after a mail-in rebate and when purchased with new two-year contracts with the carrier – so they won’t be entirely free of charge."

http://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s3-back-school-bogo-promo-unveiled-100571/

Thats crappy bogo.  Can sell a new sg3 for around 500 and the other one only worth while is the sg2 but would have to renew two lines. 

• Reply 33 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    2oh1 wrote: »
    Microsoft never answered the question of why anyone should buy a Windows phone instead of an iPhone or Android.  

They can't. Because for the bulk of the market, there's no real advantage over iOS on one end and Android on the other.
  • Reply 34 of 115
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

MS sucks at marketing? LOL!

• Reply 35 of 115
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Dead Phone Walking.

• Reply 36 of 115
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    The entire platform is redundant, offers no real advantages compared to Apple on one end and Google/Android on the other, is ridiculously late to the market, with an underdeveloped ecosystem.
    It is merely "different." Which in this market, is woefully inadequate in terms of what it takes to really compete. Nokia/MS needs a total game-changer. Some interface changes and hardware upgrades
    with an attempt at platform-duplication (own App store, etc.) just won't cut it. And it isn't, as we're seeing.
    "Live Tiles" is not a big enough reason for anyone to invest in Windows Phone, unless they are already committed Windows/MS fans, and that too, is not enough to sustain this platform amid the
    kind of of competition that Apple and Google bring to the table. This is not 15 years ago. It's not even 5 years ago.
    As the average consumer, if you're not going to go with Android, your best option is iOS, not something that is underdeveloped and
    barely adequate after nearly two years on the market. There's just no real incentive to go with Windows Phone. Consumer interest still isn't there, and if it's not there already, it won't be there
    in the future. Every new iPhone model, every new wave of Android devices flooding the market . . . both of these factors serve to lock up the market for the two big players and make things even
    more difficult for Nokia/MS. And by the looks of it, both iOS and Android have both ends of the market covered very well in terms of features and value, and in Apple's case, image and cachet.
    Something which MS has never had and can't hope to have anytime soon.
    Why care about Windows Phone when there's iOS? And if the iOS model doesn't suit the consumer, they'll go with Android.
    This market isn't like the "computer" segment, where Mac sales can persist at lower volumes, where Apple can make a huge profit, and which offers a different value-proposition
    (such as a far greater shelf-life) from what you get with mobile devices. Apple has carved out their "computer" piece of the pie. If the consumer has $1000 spend on a computer,
    chances are, it's going to be a Mac.
    Windows Phone has no such user base to speak of, and Nokia/MS have no such ability to make that kind of profit. In the mobile segment, market share matters as an indicator
    of platform health. And Apple, with just 3 devices or so, commands well over 30% in the biggest, most important market outside of Asia: the US. That's pretty impressive.
    That's precisely why Microsoft will have to develop their own hardware for Windows 8.
  • Reply 37 of 115
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

So if the phone was an iPhone people would like it?  Imagine that?  Microsoft just sucks at making OS'es.  Windows Phone is horribly fugly.  "Metro" is a complete failure and joke.

Actually Metro is pretty nice.

Microsoft just sucks at roadmaps and partnerships.   Name me one partnership (outside of Intel) that has 'thrived.'  Nokia is just the most recent of many that have been burned by Microsoft's inability to deliver.   I would never buy a device with a MS OS on it until it's confirmed it will be upgradable to the next OS.  

As for iOS... that argument went in reverse for a long time (people would love Apple HW if it only ran windows).   People love their interface... new ones are roadblocks for people to adapt...

• Reply 38 of 115
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Hop in the wayback machine to 2007 when the iPhone came out. It hardly made a dent in the mobile sphere and it wasn't until the 3G that it took off. Here we are 5 years later. And Success! Agreed!

But if I put an iPhone in your hands in 2006 what would your reaction be?   :\

Back then Motorola ruled the world, and it's phones sever pretty awesome. Remember the RAZR?

My point is, the Nokia Lumia 900 isn't even 6 months old... and fighting it's way up into the market.

Simply dimissing it as stupid, as dying, as Microsoft sucks - is moronic. There's A LOT of ex-iPhone users using the Nokia Lumia - including me... because it's literally a better OS. No crashes, buttery smooth. And per Steve Wozniak - it's like Steve Job got reincarnated at Microsoft.

And why the hell would Steve Wozniak say that? Because it's that good of a phone/OS.

Step away from the punch gentlemen. Apple NEEDS competition. Apple only makes a great iPad/iPhone NOW because 10 years ago, APPLE was the underdog.

Why is Apple making a 4" phone? Why is Apple making a 7" tablet? Why is Apple making an HDTV?

Because COMPETITION is making them offer it. Sure Amazon maybe sold 6 Million Kindles, but that's 6 million less iPads. Sure Samsung may suck with their 4" phones, but they sell as many phones as Apple does.

Don't root for companies who are innovating and hungry to die gentlemen.

If they succeed and compete, it allows Apple to give you better products.

Or are you guys really that much into mediocrity with your 5 year-old OS?

The first iPhone made a dent into smartphone sphere, look at any Pre and Post-iPhone design, like you said, does anyone still remember the RAZR? Look at the smartphone sphere before the iPhone where Palm, Motorola, Nokia was the kings of the hill back then. The iPhone 3G was a much bigger success than the first iPhone because it was the first iPhone sold internationally. 

Nokia is now facing a difficult situation, Microsoft have clearly state no current WP7 won't be upgradable to WP8, what a bummer for Nokia where their flagship phone and first generation of a new platform will be stuck at their first implementation for ever. 

Which OS are you calling a 5 years-old OS? Roots of OSX date much longer than that. Windows kernel is coming from VaxVMS way back in the 70s, Android Linux kernel is the youngest will being birth in mid-90.  I wonder how the age of an OS have anything with how good it is, only noobs use this logic, and Microsoft is notorious for bringing really bad 1.0 product to market. 

• Reply 39 of 115

I for one am hoping that Microsoft is successful. It would thin the herd. A lot of Apple fans have the knee jerk reaction of wanting Apple to do well at all costs. This is from years of being the underdog and if you were a devote back in '97, there was serious worry that Apple was going to go belly up (they were very much like how RIM is now). Now with Apple's success, there is a developing problem of the company focusing too much on consumer products and gadgets, and ignoring the customers that have supported the company for years. With the death of the Xserve and Raid servers, the FinalCut Pro debacle, the Mac Pro languishing, and the possibility the MacBook Pro 17" is dead, it is looking like Apple is abandoning the professional user to concentrate on the more profitable consumer market. This worries me because I refuse to go back to Windows and Linux doesn't have support from Adobe for it's programs (yet). So I've abandoned the defense mechanism of Apple at all costs. I'd like for the competition to get some market share and keep Apple honest. But, unfortunately, the salad days of 2005 to 2010 for Apple power users may just be a memory. 

• Reply 40 of 115
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Really? Details? Whereabouts?

T-Mobile is "Buy any of these Samsung 4G devices and receive a Galaxy S™ II 4G, Galaxy S® Blaze™ 4G, or Galaxy Exhibit® 4G for FREE! This limited time offer is available exclusively at your local T-Mobile® store." The photo on website includes the S III.

This is NOT a buy an S III and get an S III free as original poster would lead us to believe.